Linebackers (or lack thereof)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
    Signed Boley and drafted Sintim in 2009 . . . . that was 4 years ago.
    both prior to Fewell becoming DC

Comment

I kinda see the Connor signing working only if JR saw him as a system MLB that will fit what PF schemes. He def. doesn't strike me as this big hitter, or as an athletic specimen. He kinda represents a younger, slightly more agile Chase Blackburn. I cant see the FO signing him to handle all the MLB duties you'd see on other defenses bc a) he really hasn't done so yet in the NFL and b) he doesnt seem to be physically imposing. I dunno how much base 4-3 looks to expect bc we honestly don't have a Mike on the team as currently constructed imho....maybe we add Dansby or something, move Connor to strong side, and let Rivers/J-Will battle for the Will...Rivers could prob play any of the LB positions, that's just how I'd see the Connor signing working out based on his skill set or lack thereof...

Comment

So on their most recent Super Bowl wins what LB would you say was a highly touted player? A guy drafted on the first round type guy. Why does everyone say their LB's will be no good? Williams was good his rookie year. Can't say Rivers will be injured. Conner could be just as good as Chase and everyone acts like he is irreplaceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
          So on their most recent Super Bowl wins what LB would you say was a highly touted player? A guy drafted on the first round type guy. Why does everyone say their LB's will be no good? Williams was good his rookie year. Can't say Rivers will be injured. Conner could be just as good as Chase and everyone acts like he is irreplaceable.
          All those guys are just OK, even when healthy....Years of below average LBs has dropped our standards majorly..
          And if history repeats itself, they all have a better chance of being hurt this season than being healthy....
          Another LB MUST be brought in..

Comment

Maybe there just isn't that much LB talent around anymore.
            Back in the 80's the best athletes wanted to play LB, probably because of LT.
            Now they all seem to want to be DE's.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
              All those guys are just OK, even when healthy....Years of below average LBs has dropped our standards majorly..And if history repeats itself, they all have a better chance of being hurt this season than being healthy....Another LB MUST be brought in..
              They guys they had when they won their last two Super Bowls where just ok as well. Rivers does have a history of injury. Doesn't mean he will again. Williams has been here two years, one hurt one not.

Comment

They guys they had when they won their last two Super Bowls where just ok as well. Rivers does have a history of injury. Doesn't mean he will again. Williams has been here two years, one hurt one not.
                That's irrelevant....We also won the last super bowl with no running game & no Oline....Doesn't mean we just ignore those positions....Every single offseason,upgrading weak parts of the team should be the goal....

Comment

Yeah but they also had a major problem on the DL and the owners and FO made it public that they where going to improve it.

Comment

Yeah but they also had a major problem on the DL and the owners and FO made it public that they where going to improve it.
                    Indeed....But improved dline & Lbs > Imporved dline & crap Lbs....

Comment

Indeed....But improved dline & Lbs > Imporved dline & crap Lbs....
                      So how do they do that? Maybe they like what they have at LB?

Comment

So how do they do that? Maybe they like what they have at LB?
                        Whats there to like? Same could've been argued with Clark,Kiehl,wilkison,dillard,jones,sintim,bullock, Goff,Herz,etc ..That's a lot of crap LBs to go through just in a few years...Idk who'd be to blame,but our LBs have sucked for awhile...Clearly someones dropping the ball when it comes to FA/Draft in that department

Comment

Whats there to like? Same could've been argued with Clark,Kiehl,wilkison,dillard,jones,sintim,bullock, Goff,Herz,etc ..That's a lot of crap LBs to go through just in a few years...Idk who'd be to blame,but our LBs have sucked for awhile...Clearly someones dropping the ball when it comes to FA/Draft in that department
                          Its all about getting after the QB in today's NFL. You can have the best LB's in football but if you can't disrupt the QB, it won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            Its all about getting after the QB in today's NFL. You can have the best LB's in football but if you can't disrupt the QB, it won't matter.
                            Absolutely....But it still doesn't mean actual Lbs wouldn't make us a better team...
                            And as far as distrupting the QB, I would've much rather had a passrusher in the 1st....Floyd/Datone Jones would've been my pick....RT's aren't exactly hard to find in draft/FA...

Comment

this is exactly the point. those players havent necessarily sucked, as much as they fit the system for the time they were in it. And clearly all were replaceable, just as our current crop are (save williams who i like a lot). The GMEN dont value the position as highly as others; so you have guys like Kehl, Wilkinson, Dillard, Jones ect. 4/5 rounders. they feel as if these players are interchangeable clearly.

Comment

Absolutely....But it still doesn't mean actual Lbs wouldn't make us a better team...
                                And as far as distrupting the QB, I would've much rather had a passrusher in the 1st....Floyd/Datone Jones would've been my pick....RT's aren't exactly hard to find in draft/FA...
                                Its not the fact that they drafted a RT in round 1 that bothers me. Its that they reached into the second round for him and passed on superior talent that fell into our lap.

Comment

Working...
                                X