Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linebackers (or lack thereof)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by qndarius3 View Post
    this is exactly the point. those players havent necessarily sucked, as much as they fit the system for the time they were in it. And clearly all were replaceable, just as our current crop are (save williams who i like a lot). The GMEN dont value the position as highly as others; so you have guys like Kehl, Wilkinson, Dillard, Jones ect. 4/5 rounders. they feel as if these players are interchangeable clearly.
    The point is,with these interchangeable player,its shown....Even when our Dline gets the job done,we still have LBs that cant cover or play the run....Weve pretty much created a 3rd Safety role just to make up for our crap LBs....that's ridiculous

    Comment


    • #32
      Why do people always reference our 1980s LB-core as though we had scrubs playing the line?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
        That's irrelevant....We also won the last super bowl with no running game & no Oline....Doesn't mean we just ignore those positions....Every single offseason,upgrading weak parts of the team should be the goal....
        Excellent point.

        Fact is, teams are adjusting to Fewell's defense. We saw it on opening night v. Dallas....they murdered the center of the defense with quick slants.

        The secret is out....the key to defeating the Giants is not to sit back in the pocket all day and wait for the DE's to clobber the QB......get the ball out quick, and let the running backs and tight ends loose.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

        "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
          Excellent point.

          Fact is, teams are adjusting to Fewell's defense. We saw it on opening night v. Dallas....they murdered the center of the defense with quick slants.

          The secret is out....the key to defeating the Giants is not to sit back in the pocket all day and wait for the DE's to clobber the QB......get the ball out quick, and let the running backs and tight ends loose.
          Dallas took advantage of Justin Tryon and abused him. That's why we lost week 1. Plain and simple.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
            Excellent point.

            Fact is, teams are adjusting to Fewell's defense. We saw it on opening night v. Dallas....they murdered the center of the defense with quick slants.

            The secret is out....the key to defeating the Giants is not to sit back in the pocket all day and wait for the DE's to clobber the QB......get the ball out quick, and let the running backs and tight ends loose.
            Exactly...Also part of the reason why our Dline was extremely invisible in the sack deparment...Our Lb & secondary needed work this offseason & we failed to do so...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by ImElectric2 View Post
              Why do people always reference our 1980s LB-core as though we had scrubs playing the line?
              If anything, the 1980's Giants defense proves that if you want to build a dominant unit, you can't be weak at any particular spot......Martin, Marshall, Burt, Howard, Dorsey.....the Giants always had a tough defensive front. And we had guys like Terry Kinard, Kenny Hill, Mark Collins and Perry Williams at defensive back.
              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

              "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by ImElectric2 View Post
                Why do people always reference our 1980s LB-core as though we had scrubs playing the line?
                THIS! I am also sick of hearing all the LB'er humpers on this board stating with definitive tone that any of Ogletree, Te'o or Arthur Brown would be the Messiah to the Giants LB'er weaknesses. How the heck can anyone be so sure that any of these guys would become automatic insertions let alone upgrades! Ogletree and Te'o are imbeciles and headcases. Brown just barely survived the 2nd round. Let's not make these guys out to be sure answers.
                Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
                  The point is,with these interchangeable player,its shown....Even when our Dline gets the job done,we still have LBs that cant cover or play the run....Weve pretty much created a 3rd Safety role just to make up for our crap LBs....that's ridiculous
                  i think its the opposite. I think we created the "3rd safety" as an adjustment to when Vick came to the NFC east, and so, with so many new read option QB's coming into the league (kaepernick/newton/RGIII among others) we needed to adjust because 95% of linebackers cannot run with these guys. our personel dictated it, and it took us to a super bowl, so we have continued with it.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    Dallas took advantage of Justin Tryon and abused him. That's why we lost week 1. Plain and simple.
                    Is Justin Tryon also the reason why Jason Witten lights up the Giants on a regular basis?

                    I mean, it's just brutal to watch.
                    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                    "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
                      THIS! I am also sick of hearing all the LB'er humpers on this board stating with definitive tone that any of Ogletree, Te'o or Arthur Brown would be the Messiah to the Giants LB'er weaknesses. How the heck can anyone be so sure that any of these guys would become automatic insertions let alone upgrades! Ogletree and Te'o are imbeciles and headcases. Brown just barely survived the 2nd round. Let's not make these guys out to be sure answers.
                      Let me try to explain this:

                      If the 2012 Giants linebackers were HALF as good as the 1986 Giants defensive line, we wouldn't be talking about a #31 ranked defense.

                      Or, put it another way:

                      Imagine you are an offensive coordinator on an NFL rival, and your upcoming opponent is the Giants. What would you consider the weakness of the defense? What would your gameplan look like?
                      "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                      "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by qndarius3 View Post
                        i think its the opposite. I think we created the "3rd safety" as an adjustment to when Vick came to the NFC east, and so, with so many new read option QB's coming into the league (kaepernick/newton/RGIII among others) we needed to adjust because 95% of linebackers cannot run with these guys. our personel dictated it, and it took us to a super bowl, so we have continued with it.
                        According to your logic we should continue with our crap Oline & running game too then...

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                          Let me try to explain this:If the 2012 Giants linebackers were HALF as good as the 1986 Giants defensive line, we wouldn't be talking about a #31 ranked defense.Or, put it another way:Imagine you are an offensive coordinator on an NFL rival, and your upcoming opponent is the Giants. What would you consider the weakness of the defense? What would your gameplan look like?
                          Bingo.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
                            THIS! I am also sick of hearing all the LB'er humpers on this board stating with definitive tone that any of Ogletree, Te'o or Arthur Brown would be the Messiah to the Giants LB'er weaknesses. How the heck can anyone be so sure that any of these guys would become automatic insertions let alone upgrades! Ogletree and Te'o are imbeciles and headcases. Brown just barely survived the 2nd round. Let's not make these guys out to be sure answers.
                            because our Lbs suck & chances are any of those guys would've been at worst an upgrade to what we have....

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
                              Exactly...Also part of the reason why our Dline was extremely invisible in the sack deparment...Our Lb & secondary needed work this offseason & we failed to do so...
                              Nah, no need to worry! After all our coaches are the finest in the NFL as they have "given" us 2 SB's. They will adjust. I just wonder why we were ranked 25th in stopping the run in the NFL in yards per game, giving up 129.1 yards per game and and average 4.1 per attempt. Could it be that we did not have any fast LB's to stop the run? Nah... We are in good company at the bottom of the NFL with the likes of the Jets, The Jags, the Bills, The Cards that is the real dominant defenses in the NFL!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by myles2424 View Post
                                According to your logic we should continue with our crap Oline & running game too then...
                                what lol? of course not. im just saying at the time our defense adjusted based on personnel and who we were playing, and because it was successful we have continued with it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X