The 2011 Giants' running game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2011 Giants' running game

Dead last in the NFL in yards per carry and total yards.

Result: Super Bowl win.

Please explain. Thanks.

Simple answer: "Make them go to Manningham!!!..." Passing game was unstoppable.

Comment

4900 yards passing. 2 receivers with over 1000 yds
      The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

There you go.

The point is, this idea that you absolutely must have a big time running game to be able to make a deep run is clearly true. You can do it with an elite passing attack and a nasty D. And that is what the Giants may have this year.

Comment

Those stats are misleading.. The rushing picked up later in the year when Bradshaw and Baas became healthy. I mean I'm not saying the run game was anything like 07-10, but it definitely picked up late in the season and playoffs after struggling to start the season off.

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
            Those stats are misleading.. The rushing picked up later in the year when Bradshaw and Baas became healthy. I mean I'm not saying the run game was anything like 07-10, but it definitely picked up late in the season and playoffs after struggling to start the season off.
            There's no way we win it all if they didn't step up mightily for both runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

Please explain. Thanks.
              The running game improved drastically at the end of the season and into the playoffs. However that passing attack was special and consistent throughout the season and Super Bowl run.

Mario Manningham made every important catch in all 4 playoff games.

Comment

Hell, Bradshaw scored the game winning TD!!!!

LOL.......

****in Patriots thinking they could've scored to end the game..... suck it.******bags.
                "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                "No...I didn't."
                "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

The second half of that 2011 season was one of the most memorable halfs in football history. Reminded me of the magic exhibited by the Yankees in the 90s.

Comment

Passing attack was off the charts and the D and running game played well in post season. So it wasn't a total non factor.

but the passing attack carried the team to the playoffs. D was horrible in the reg season.

Comment

Please explain. Thanks.
                      how was the running game during the playoffs and SB?
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post

how was the running game during the playoffs and SB?

- shut down for 1st 3 quarters vs GB

- shut down the entire game vs SF

- 2011 Patriots defense the single worst defense of the Belichick/Brady era

Comment

Originally posted by CRF11504 View Post

- shut down for 1st 3 quarters vs GB

- shut down the entire game vs SF

- 2011 Patriots defense the single worst defense of the Belichick/Brady era
                          Exactly.

Nobody is saying having a good running game isn't a huge help. Obviously it is. But the idea that you cannot win without it under any circumstances is clearly wrong.

Comment

Exactly.

Nobody is saying having a good running game isn't a huge help. Obviously it is. But the idea that you cannot win without it under any circumstances is clearly wrong.

Teams don't win BECAUSE they run the ball....that's a blatant myth.

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-sta...mes-in-the-nfl
                            "This plot indicates that itís the winning that leads to the rushing, not the other way around."

"Establishing the run"....just gets you FGs.

In this league, you PASS to win. Run just for the sake of it, hope to break out some big runs if you get enough rush attempts in. You look at the Patriots, how have they sustained success all these years? Not by running, but by PASSING.

Comment

I'm sorry but I seriously disagree with the idea that the running game is not necessary. Look defenses unlike the days earlier and including the 70s 80s and early 90s were all built to stop the run. Now in this day and age of football the defense's are built to stop the pass and not the run. This game has taken defensively that is 180 degree turn around. The team that offensively looks at the run and builds their offense to RUN THE BALL in this day and age will be able to take advantage of most of the defense's in this league. Dallas (Whom I Hate) have successfully done that with a powerhouse O- Line and a RB that may be able to break records in this league. Last season they were a run first offense and they passed when needed. They took advantage of defense's that were built to stop the big pass play and they did it game in and game out (Exception would be the NY GIANTS DEFENSE).

Pittsburgh is another team that is leaning towards a run first offense, I would surmise that they will slowly be a run first team within this season or next. Defense's have allowed the running game and are built to stop the pass. If a Team in this NFL turned the tides to concentrate on the run 1st concept I would bet my months paycheck that that team will go very deep into the playoffs or actually go to a win the SB.

Get an offense committed to the run and defenses would have a hard time stopping it. Look at Atlanta last season in the Super Bowl. They were winning that game until they stopped running the ball, for the life of me I cant even today think of a reason to STOP RUNNING THE BALL against the Pats. It lost them the game, and to me it s one of the biggest head scratchers I have ever witnessed.

IMO Smash mouthed football although not very interesting to watch is the best way to win footballs games in THIS LEAGUE. Yae it isn't high scoring, it isn't fast moving, in fact it's down right boring, but the way defense's have gone with the quicker, smaller type back 7 and most d lines are more interested in getting pressure or sacks on the QB, the running game is the way to win. Play the game in the trenches, have your o-line and FB's beat up the D Line and LB's, by the 3rd quarter they are gassed and tired. That is when you put the final nail in the coffin because they wouldn't be able to stop it
                              Last edited by BackOfficeGM; 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM.
                              "The Truth Shall Set You Free"

Comment

Working...
                              X