An example of weak writing....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An example of weak writing....

So I ***** all the time about how weak the writers are who follow the Giants.
    When I saw the title of the article "10 Giants Making Big Impressions in Camp", my interest was piqued............until I read it, what a bunch of nothing.

The writer from the Daily News is Pat Leonard

#6 on his list is D. J. Fluker
    Here is what he writes verbatim on Fluker:

"Flukerís size and enthusiasm are commanding attention, and even though he is working as the second-string right guard, the former first-round San Diego Chargers draft pick could be the type of depth option pushing starters that the Giants didnít really have here last season. ďIím excited. I donít know about you, but Iím very excited,Ē Fluker said recently. ďBeing able to be here and play football for the New York Giants. Where else would you want to be? Ö This is where itís at. This is where I want to be. Guys that want to buy into winning. They want to win. They want to be great. You canít ask anything else.Ē

There is not a single word about performance or production or why the writer believe that Fluker is making a big impression other than a reference to his size and enthusiasm. As fans we should expect much better than this crap.
    Last edited by jomo; 08-05-2017, 05:12 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Originally posted by jomo View Post
    When I saw the title of the article "10 Giants Making Big Impressions in Camp", my interest was piqued............until I read it, what a bunch of nothing.

"Flukerís size and enthusiasm are commanding attention, and even though he is working as the second-string right guard, the former first-round San Diego Chargers draft pick could be the type of depth option pushing starters that the Giants didnít really have here last season. ďIím excited. I donít know about you, but Iím very excited,Ē Fluker said recently. ďBeing able to be here and play football for the New York Giants. Where else would you want to be? Ö This is where itís at. This is where I want to be. Guys that want to buy into winning. They want to win. They want to be great. You canít ask anything else.Ē

There is not a single word about performance or production or why the writer believe that Fluker is making a big impression other than a reference to his size and enthusiasm. As fans we should expect much better than this crap.
    I agree but not to the levels u are on this specific instance.

I think the author alludes to why he will have an impact when citing the point we didn't have depth to his caliber last year. Which did become an issue at varying times.
    he sort of is a 2nd string player and as such won't have the first team reps of other guys so it could also tie to that.
    I get what ur getting at tho even if I don't think this example fits the way you detail .

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post

I agree but not to the levels u are on this specific instance.

I think the author alludes to why he will have an impact when citing the point we didn't have depth to his caliber last year. Which did become an issue at varying times.
      he sort of is a 2nd string player and as such won't have the first team reps of other guys so it could also tie to that.
      I get what ur getting at tho even if I don't think this example fits the way you detail .
      I agree but I personally I do not take stock in any writer's piece that does not quote anyone in the organization.
      The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I agree but I personally I do not take stock in any writer's piece that does not quote anyone in the organization.
        My words were sharper than I actually feel. What I am really feeling is frustration, and it may be connected to Roosevelt's thread this week. The article titles tease us then give us nothing for the most part. When I saw that thread title, I was excited to learn something new. Anyone can be "big and enthusiastic" and Fluker represents the same new depth that he did the day we signed him. What most of us want to know is how he is moving and ultimately whether he is moving people when it counts. We get almost none of that.

Comment

My words were sharper than I actually feel. What I am really feeling is frustration, and it may be connected to Roosevelt's thread this week. The article titles tease us then give us nothing for the most part. When I saw that thread title, I was excited to learn something new. Anyone can be "big and enthusiastic" and Fluker represents the same new depth that he did the day we signed him. What most of us want to know is how he is moving and ultimately whether he is moving people when it counts. We get almost none of that.
          We will find out Friday. The first few possessions will be telling.
          The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

We will find out Friday. The first few possessions will be telling.
            I always look forward to the first pre-season game with a totally overblown sense of anticipation ........but any action is better than no action.

Comment

I always look forward to the first pre-season game with a totally overblown sense of anticipation ........but any action is better than no action.
              I agree, I want to see what some of the new guys bring to the table.

Comment

I think jomo can't wait for actual football games to start and see the players on the field... Soon... Soon....

Comment

The writing is not weak, at all. The title of the piece is bull crap.... misleading... meant to pull you in with some insight to their play.. the article doesn't reflect the title, at all. It is a fluff piece about 10 players. Should have been titled, "Some thoughts on 10 NY Giant players.

Comment

Originally posted by zimonami View Post
                    The writing is not weak, at all. The title of the piece is bull crap.... misleading... meant to pull you in with some insight to their play.. the article doesn't reflect the title, at all. It is a fluff piece about 10 players. Should have been titled, "Some thoughts on 10 NY Giant players.
                    Zim I agree. It is an opinion piece.

Comment

Originally posted by zimonami View Post
                      I think a lot of the frustration with these types of articles is that the substance of the article doesn't match up with the headline...I totally get jomo's frustration

Comment

I'm going with a good friend of mine who is a Steelers' fan. It will be a first for me to not be with a Giants' fan but I will likely survive.....I hope
                        Last edited by RoanokeFan; 08-05-2017, 06:44 PM.
                        ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

I think a lot of the frustration with these types of articles is that the substance of the article doesn't match up with the headline...I totally get jomo's frustration
                          It seems to be the norm these days... bait them in with a title that is intriguing, and infers new insight, even though what you are going to write has no real connection to the title. They have so much competition that they lure you with a great sounding BS title... all talk and no action. I likely wouldn't open the link just to read a fluff piece on 10 players... but, I would open the link if I thought I was going to get a good update on their performance in camp. I hate the deception of today's media.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Headlines are generally written by an editor and not the writer.

But I think journalism in general is substandard in this day and age.

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

His commentary is totally based off Fluker's press conference last week.

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X