Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

The OL was ok until last season? Yikes....I wont even touch that one LOL

From what I recall in post draft articles/interviews, Tunsil was their main target for OL, followed by Conklin, so he most definitely was, at the very least, on their radar. We all know what happened with Tunsil.
    yep. that whole tunsil fiasco screwed up their entire draft plan. I thought i recall JR saying they had planned that there were enough guys they liked that one of them had to drop in their lap at Number 10. BUT then the tunsil fiasco happened. If apple was one of those guys they were happy to take at 10, then I think they were happy with getting apple there and the tunsil thing didn't matter. If not then they the monkey wrench of the tunsil thing is what threw off their plans. all in all apple has worked out well so far... can't complain about a good starter with upside expected to make a leap in year 2. Hindsight is 2020 but that draft was the craziest thing we ever saw...it was chaos...lol I think we came out pretty good with apple. the only thing that could have been done better is trading down a few spots and getting apple anyway. But again hindsight is 2020. Plus what if you trade down and then miss your guy, then what?

Same thing with engram. trading down and getting him anyway, would have been ideal, but apparently there were rumors that atlanta or some other teams wanted to take him. so the choice was take him at 23 or miss out on him. everything is easy in hindsight and from the cheap seats but then there is reality. i like that reese holds his ground and takes his guy rather than gambling with draft capital. The reason I like it is that you never know when one of those guys ends up being a flowers or a taco charlton or a greg robinson....or a million other busts you guys can name.. at least you didn't trade up and magnify the mistake.

if 75% of first rounders are good picks and the other 25% are unworthy or busts, then you are gambling by moving up, plain & simple. gambling has better odds in later rounds.

2 cents
    Last edited by bigpoppy; 08-07-2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CRF11504 View Post

Come Week 1, Hart will be on the bench, so this discussion is moot.
      Oh yeah, I heard that they're going to let Jerry play RG AND RT at the same time. The first 4 man OL in NFL history!

You must be excited
      The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
        Like I said in the past he fixed bigger issues. Between 15 and 16 he fixed the defense which was an infinitely bigger problem than the OLine. Again in the draft that year he went D in the 1st to help fix the teams biggest issue, the worst defense in team history. Considering the high quality of OTs on the board when we took Apple I doubt Conklin would have been our pick anyway, especially since 2015 Offense was ranked #6. Until last season there was not a need to fix the OLine, certainly not compared to our horrendous D.

The O line has been neglected in need of rebuilding for far longer than that. And the fact that he allowed more significant issues to develop on the defense that needed urgent fixing is hardly a ringing endorsement for his competency.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

The O line has been neglected in need of rebuilding for far longer than that. And the fact that he allowed more significant issues to develop on the defense that needed urgent fixing is hardly a ringing endorsement for his competency.

The O-Line has not been neglected

Even Marshall Newhouse is the Raiders starting RT

Flowers: 1st round pick
          Pugh: 1st round pick
          Richburg: 2nd round pick
          Jerry: 3rd round pick
          Fluker: 1st round pick

Comment

Not everybody is good at everything, unfortunately this is Reese's achilles.

I think Reese overall is very good GM, not great one. and that's fine; but the length that some folks here will go to to attempt to prop him up and revise history is ridiculous.
            He's definitely not terrible. The Giants certainly could have done much worse

That being said, I still think he's a bit too passive, and he's a bit too enamored of the skill positions. I'm of the firmest belief that the trenches are the key to winning in this league, and it gets proven time and again every single year.,

Dont get me wrong, you've got to have skill position players, and we're extremely lucky to have a guy like Beckham, along with Shepherd and Marshall. I'd just like to see him focus more on the lunchpail guys, the ones who get dirty and truly keep the chains moving.
            The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

The O-Line has not been neglected

Even Marshall Newhouse is the Raiders starting RT

Flowers: 1st round pick
              Pugh: 1st round pick
              Richburg: 2nd round pick
              Jerry: 3rd round pick
              Fluker: 1st round pick

I see. It hasn't been neglected, the picks have just been bad and then bolstered with other team's roster cuts.

I'm convinced. Best GM for drafting offensive lineman ever.

Comment

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com...&thread=555252

-OT Flowers had a solid day but his over-lean and wrap-around the defenderís neck in pass protection flared up twice from what I saw. OT Hart was schooled by DE Pierre-Paul again, winding up on the ground. OG Jerry, when I had the vantage point to really zero in on him, didnít get beat at all. He is a very large man with athletic legs. He is without a doubt the starting RG over Fluker.
                Jerry and Fluker are both HUGE

Comment

The O line has been neglected in need of rebuilding for far longer than that.
                  Neglected far longer than that? Really. Well in 13, 14 and 15 we spent a 1st or 2nd round pick on the line. In that time they also went out and signed Newhouse, Schwartz and Jerry. So they have spent high round draft picks and spent decent money in free agency for 3 years prior to 2016 trying to build the OLine and people say he neglected it lmao. Not all of this worked out, obviously, no one is saying that. The fact is he didn't ignore the problem.

Like I always ask WHO should he have taken instead? Conklin? Really so when we had the 6th best O in the league and the 30th D we should have taken an OL instead of a defensive player? Yeah makes total sense.

With that said if you, or anyone, wants to say Reese has not been good finding talent we can go done that road. Pugh and Richburg are good picks, Flowers is not looking good (jury still out) and the free agents, like almost all OL free agents didn't work out in recent years. Fact is teams don't let good linemen walk, all teams try to sign the linemen that do hit the market and Reese has hit on 2/3 (at worst) early round OL. Go criticize his late rounds if you want.
                  LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                  "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

I love how just because Reese could not upgrade every position over the past couple of years, that's he's an "idiot". How many great LT are there in the world? It's almost the same number as QB's. It's a calculated risk to upgrade other positions and hope that the young talented player can get coached up this year to be an adequate performer. It's may not work and it may lead to another non-playoff year. However, it's certainly not stupidity. Just a bad decision. The point is you just can find great LT when you want them. There was only really one guy out there in FA and he was in his mid 30's and there are usually only a couple at best that come out of the draft each year.

Of course, too many bad decisions could lead to being unemployed quickly given his overall track record.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
                      I love how just because Reese could not upgrade every position over the past couple of years, that's he's an "idiot". How many great LT are there in the world? It's almost the same number as QB's. It's a calculated risk to upgrade other positions and hope that the young talented player can get coached up this year to be an adequate performer. It's may not work and it may lead to another non-playoff year. However, it's certainly not stupidity. Just a bad decision. The point is you just can find great LT when you want them. There was only really one guy out there in FA and he was in his mid 30's and there are usually only a couple at best that come out of the draft each year.

Of course, too many bad decisions could lead to being unemployed quickly given his overall track record.

When was the last time a great LT even won a SB?

2004 with Matt Light?
                      2000 with Ogden? (all defense)
                      1999 with Orlando Pace?

Great Left Tackles typically do not win SBs.

Comment

2004 with Matt Light?
                        1999 with Orlando Pace?

Interesting...It's probably hard to tie up too much money at that position and QB. I think you're right though. Two of the better ones off the top of my head play for Redskins and Cleveland.

Comment

Up until this past draft, I didn't personally feel like we totally neglected the OL. I think Flowers not panning out has just made things look worse, but we did take him 1st round. I think in this last draft is where we dropped the ball. Your offense can't move with poor play at OT and it seemed like the writing was on the wall. There's a chance that Cam Robinson and Ryan Ramczyk (depending on injury) could both end up rookie starters to start the season so we'll see if we missed out on any major upgrades there. I also wanted us to get Antonio Garcia who went to the Pats in the 3rd round. For all we know, there wasn't an answer to our problems in this last draft and we were smart not to waste a pick.
                          2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
                          Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
                          Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
                          Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
                          Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
                          Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
                          Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Comment

2004 with Matt Light?
                            1999 with Orlando Pace?

Use your brain a bit here. Typically top LTs go to really bad teams. So its pretty tough to get there right away. Are you saying its Tyron Smiths fault the Cowboys stink in the playoffs? Or Trent Williams on the Patriots would hinder them?

Comment

Not everybody is good at everything, unfortunately this is Reese's achilles.

I think Reese overall is very good GM, not great one. and that's fine; but the length that some folks here will go to to attempt to prop him up and revise history is ridiculous.
                              I dont think its as bad as posters here who tear him down and will go as far as say that 2007 team was all Accorsi. I think its far more here that discredits him as oppose to propping him up. Just MHO!!

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

Use your brain a bit here. Typically top LTs go to really bad teams. So its pretty tough to get there right away. Are you saying its Tyron Smiths fault the Cowboys stink in the playoffs? Or Trent Williams on the Patriots would hinder them?

The Top 10 Left Tackles in football have a combined 0 Super Bowl rings.

10 Left Tackles COMBINED = 0 rings. The best in the game.

Think about that.
                                Last edited by CRF11504; 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X