What did most of the 2012 playoff teams have in common??? Solid LB's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did most of the 2012 playoff teams have in common??? Solid LB's

Everyone has a opinion about this subject and I'm siding with the camp that is concerned about our LB situation. I personally feel that taking this position lightly will be a mistake. Most of the playoff teams from last year have at least one "stud" LB on their current roster. I don't know if we have ANY at this point, not to mention that we just lost our best 2 at the position. Below are a few stats from the 2012 playoff teams. It's my personal belief that in this ever-growing era of the mobile QB that more and more emphasis is going to be put on the LB position. I don't think that a stellar DL is going to be able to cover up a weak middle field defense as it has in the past. I think we were trendsetters with our belief in a stellar DL, now I think we may be on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to securing the middle of the field. Obviously, this is just my opinion, and I really want to be wrong!

2012 playoff teams

Seahawks - Bobby Wagner - 140 tackles, extremely underrated
    Vikings - Chad Greenway - 148 tackles, pro bowl the last 2 years
    Redskins - London Fletcher - 2012 pro bowl
    Packers - Clay Matthews
    49ers - nuff said
    Broncos - Keith Brookings, DJ Williams, Von Miller
    Patriots - Jerod Mayo - 2012 pro bowl
    Colts - Jarrell Freeman - 145 tackles (top 5 in the league)
    Ravens - nuff said

US

Chase Blackburn - 98 tackles - No longer with the team
    Michael Boley - 92 tackles - No longer with the team
    Mark Herzlich - 30 tackles
    Keith Rivers - 44 tackles
    J. Williams - 30 tackles
    Dan Conners - 56 tackles - new addition to the team

They also had offenses that could score points.

Comment

and half of those teams run a completely different defense than what we ran - nuff said
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

Originally posted by pacco_diablo View Post
        Everyone has a opinion about this subject and I'm siding with the camp that is concerned about our LB situation. I personally feel that taking this position lightly will be a mistake. Most of the playoff teams from last year have at least one "stud" LB on their current roster. I don't know if we have ANY at this point, not to mention that we just lost our best 2 at the position. Below are a few stats from the 2012 playoff teams. It's my personal belief that in this ever-growing era of the mobile QB that more and more emphasis is going to be put on the LB position. I don't think that a stellar DL is going to be able to cover up a weak middle field defense as it has in the past. I think we were trendsetters with our belief in a stellar DL, now I think we may be on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to securing the middle of the field. Obviously, this is just my opinion, and I really want to be wrong!

2012 playoff teams

Packers - Clay Matthews
        49ers - nuff said
        Ravens - nuff said

US

J. Williams - 30 tackles

Just remember all those teams you mentioned that made the playoffs also had stud D-Lines in front of those LBer's which kept those LBers free of O-Linemen and allowed them to make plays. LBers are nothing without a good D-Line in front of them. If our D-line does what it is supposed to do this year and stops the run at the line of scrimmage and keeps our Backers free. I think everyone will see that the Giants LBers aren't the weakness they are perceived to be. Games are won in the trenches not at Linebacker!!!!!!

Comment

You are trying to make a correlation where one doesn't exist. I can say, "Most 2012 playoff teams had one thing in common, good water boys!" However, it doesn't mean that is why they are playoff teams.
          Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

2012 playoff teams

Packers - Clay Matthews
            49ers - nuff said
            Ravens - nuff said

US

J. Williams - 30 tackles
            Good post....it's pretty clear that good linebackers elevate the play of the defense.

I can totally appreciate the importance of a dominant defensive line, but at some point, our linebackers need to make plays, too.
            "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

They also boast the best all around Secondary in the NFL and had a much better pass rush than us last year until Clemons went down. Wagner is a nice piece but he's just a roleplayer compared to some of the other studs on this defense.

As nice as Greenway is, this team wouldn't have made the playoffs at all if it wasn't for Peterson and that offensive line. The defense had very little to do with them making the wild card lol.

How many playoff berths did Fletcher secure for the Redskins before RG3 showed up?

Packers - Clay Matthews
              Clay Matthews is a pass rusher and very rarely does anything outside of attacking the QB. Everyone knows the Packers make the playoffs because they have arguably the best QB in the league right now. That defense has nothing to do with the success of that team.

49ers - nuff said
              This one is true to an extent but again, the 49ers weren't making the playoffs until Jim Harbaugh showed up and got the offense in order. This defense wasn't even that good during the playoffs and you could argue Kaepernick and the receiving game actually carried the team into the SB.

Brooking and Williams are nothing special to write about. Von Miller is also a pass rusher like Clay Matthews and don't forget they had Dumervil on the opposite side. This defense was an example of what happens when you have a top 5 pass rusher and a very good pass rusher across from him.

Tom Brady, AFC East...that about sums that one up.

This is a hard team to figure out. I'd say they played much better than their actual talent level due to the Chuck Pagano motivation and they might come back down to Earth this upcoming season. Drafting the best QB out of college since John Elway helps too.

Ravens - nuff said
              What? You mean the ancient Ray Lewis who was actually a liability on the field last season? Or are you talking about Ellerbe who had a few nice games? The Ravens won the whole thing more so on the evolution of Flacco as a passer and not having to rely on Ray Rice every down.

Comment

They had a consistent offense and a defense that can stop opposing teams.
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Yea I gotta disagree.

If you scroll down the list of teams you can really only see 1 team(49ers) where the strength of the defense is in the Lbs. Maybe you could say that about the broncos too, but it's debatable.

Other than that I think each of those defenses had other areas that outshined the Lbers. I would also argue that the Ravens had perhaps the worst LB play of any team in the playoffs last year, and they won it all. Lewis wasa mediocre LB last year, unlike his former self.

I am not saying Lbers aren't important. But your argument is not a sound 1
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                    They also had offenses that could score points.
                    We didnt?

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                      They also boast the best all around Secondary in the NFL and had a much better pass rush than us last year until Clemons went down. Wagner is a nice piece but he's just a roleplayer compared to some of the other studs on this defense.

As nice as Greenway is, this team wouldn't have made the playoffs at all if it wasn't for Peterson and that offensive line. The defense had very little to do with them making the wild card lol.

How many playoff berths did Fletcher secure for the Redskins before RG3 showed up?

Clay Matthews is a pass rusher and very rarely does anything outside of attacking the QB. Everyone knows the Packers make the playoffs because they have arguably the best QB in the league right now. That defense has nothing to do with the success of that team.

This one is true to an extent but again, the 49ers weren't making the playoffs until Jim Harbaugh showed up and got the offense in order. This defense wasn't even that good during the playoffs and you could argue Kaepernick and the receiving game actually carried the team into the SB.

Brooking and Williams are nothing special to write about. Von Miller is also a pass rusher like Clay Matthews and don't forget they had Dumervil on the opposite side. This defense was an example of what happens when you have a top 5 pass rusher and a very good pass rusher across from him.

Tom Brady, AFC East...that about sums that one up.

This is a hard team to figure out. I'd say they played much better than their actual talent level due to the Chuck Pagano motivation and they might come back down to Earth this upcoming season. Drafting the best QB out of college since John Elway helps too.

What? You mean the ancient Ray Lewis who was actually a liability on the field last season? Or are you talking about Ellerbe who had a few nice games? The Ravens won the whole thing more so on the evolution of Flacco as a passer and not having to rely on Ray Rice every down.
                      This about sums it up. THREAD CLOSED....

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
                        We didnt?
                        Not consistently at all, explain how you can score 50+ one week and get shut on the next. This LB argument is so overrated and has been beaten to death already. If a great LB core is that important then become a fan of those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                          You are trying to make a correlation where one doesn't exist. I can say, "Most 2012 playoff teams had one thing in common, good water boys!" However, it doesn't mean that is why they are playoff teams.
                          Maybe we should look into new water boys then too.

Comment

Maybe we should look into new water boys then too.
                            I'd put our waterboys up against any in the league.
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by DT2012 View Post
                              Just remember all those teams you mentioned that made the playoffs also had stud D-Lines in front of those LBer's which kept those LBers free of O-Linemen and allowed them to make plays. LBers are nothing without a good D-Line in front of them. If our D-line does what it is supposed to do this year and stops the run at the line of scrimmage and keeps our Backers free. I think everyone will see that the Giants LBers aren't the weakness they are perceived to be. Games are won in the trenches not at Linebacker!!!!!!
                              I hear you, but I would argue that games are won, for the most part, with a balanced team.

Comment

Working...
                              X