Where do you rank the Giants Defense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you rank the Giants Defense?

I would honestly put the Giants defense ranked at the top of the league right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see a defense out there that is as hungry and talented as our guys.

Preseason rankings are based on a mix of potential and previous results. It is always tough to tell. I do think they have the potential to be #1 in the league. I honestly think they have the potential to be an all time great defense.

With Snacks and two DEs who are excellent against the run they are a great run D. Collins, Jackrabbit, DRC and an improving Apple (plus the potential Thompson brings) this secondary is one of the best in recent memory. The LBs are not great, but are pretty good role players. If they can find a way to add around 10 more sacks this year they would really push the boundary of greatness.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

where ever they were ranked at the end of last season. Until the reg season starts thats where they should be ranked
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

They picked 23rd in the draft last year. That makes them the 9th best team until proven otherwise.... They ranked 14th in Total Offense. They Ranked 1st in Team Defense. On average that is 1/32+14/32 = 15/64 = 23.44rd worst Team, which translates to the 8.56th best team.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...ense/year/2012

Statistically, based on last years actual performance, that is where we presume they are unless/until proven otherwise, but we all know that last year does not matter and every year it changes. The question is whether or not they improved or not RELATIVE to how much other teams improved or not from last year.

I see a slight drop off possible as other teams get better. It's very difficult to repeat as the number one defense 2 years in a row. in a league that is set up for teams to make major improvements each year via key additions in the draft & free agency. Also, we were lucky with injuries being minimal.

All that being said, we have a great defense.

The bigger question is the O.

2 cents
        Last edited by bigpoppy; 08-10-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Talent-wise, It's between us and Denver. I think they beat us out just because they have a game wrecker in Von that we don't necessarily have (although Vernon and JPP are terrific) and I think their trio of corners bests ours out slightly.

by seasons end, I think this could all change if Eli Apple has a sophomore surge, Goodson can be a tone setter, and we get can solid pass rush production out of our backup DEs (Avery Moss!!!?!!). Darian Thompson coming back could also help out tremendous.

Another guy who could have an impact is Dalvin Tomlinson. I didn't have great expectations and thought there was a good chance he may take a year to learn and absorb a la Hankins, but various beat writers have make comments about his foot speed, so I think there may be a better chance he has a legit impact.

our core pieces are all young and on long term deals (minus Collins but that will change) and we've surrounded them with some veterans who get the job done (Casillas), but mostly with younger guys with great potential. The best part is I think this defense is still 2 or so years away from it's peak. It'll be exciting to see what we can do with the core guys we have now and some more early round draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmulroy99 View Post
            Talent-wise, It's between us and Denver. I think they beat us out just because they have a game wrecker in Von that we don't necessarily have (although Vernon and JPP are terrific) and I think their trio of corners bests ours out slightly.

by seasons end, I think this could all change if Eli Apple has a sophomore surge, Goodson can be a tone setter, and we get can solid pass rush production out of our backup DEs (Avery Moss!!!?!!). Darian Thompson coming back could also help out tremendous.

Another guy who could have an impact is Dalvin Tomlinson. I didn't have great expectations and thought there was a good chance he may take a year to learn and absorb a la Hankins, but various beat writers have make comments about his foot speed, so I think there may be a better chance he has a legit impact.

our core pieces are all young and on long term deals (minus Collins but that will change) and we've surrounded them with some veterans who get the job done (Casillas), but mostly with younger guys with great potential. The best part is I think this defense is still 2 or so years away from it's peak. It'll be exciting to see what we can do with the core guys we have now and some more early round draft picks.
            no doubt....
            if they can get a one gem out of Goodson, Thomlinson, or Thompson that would be very cool. They do need a rotational DE that can bring heat too. Maybe Moss can be that player. Certainly is exciting time for the Giants D
            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Until we show a consistent pass rush and some good LB play who can cover a TE, Im not giving them top 5. Probably around 10. The offense also has to do its part and keep the defense fresh, otherwise they look much worse.
              The Problem is the Oline, PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Jmulroy99 View Post

Our game wrecker is Landon Collins
                Why the Giants will win the SuperBowl!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPvmhCcsnY&t=1s

Interview With Darian Thompson: https://youtu.be/vvqLbM6emGE

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSW...BrHBI_v2XKQb5A

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                  Until we show a consistent pass rush and some good LB play who can cover a TE, Im not giving them top 5. Probably around 10. The offense also has to do its part and keep the defense fresh, otherwise they look much worse.
                  bottom line it how many points a D lets up no matter how their pass rush is etc. But yes having a good cover LB and consistent pass rush would be nice

Comment

Our coverage of TEs last year was very good from what I remember. I think JPP staying healthy and getting some help from rotating DEs will help the pass rush a ton. We were 15th in sacks last year and didn't have JPP for a large chunk. His health will be the key to having a consistent pass rush. It did seem at times last year the rush vanished.

With that said who are the 9 teams you rank above us?
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post

bottom line it how many points a D lets up no matter how their pass rush is etc. But yes having a good cover LB and consistent pass rush would be nice
                      All the great defenses have been set apart by what they continued, or even stepped up further, in the playoffs and S.B.s. He's right about waiting on this.

Comment

For some reason people are talking about the offense and the team as a whole when I clearly posted about the Defense.

Comment

You are only as good as your last game. Gave up 38.
                          The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

To me they were the best defense in the league last year, they were CONSTANTLY starting drives backed up at their own 20 and they still held teams to jack **** and straight up piggy backed the team to 11 wins.. you can't run on us, you can't throw on us.. good luck

And improvements are coming (Thompson, Tomlinson, Kennard and Robinson playing full time, Apple evolving)
                            If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Nitpicking based on personal preferences, there's not a perfect defense in this league let alone 10, that's a joke of a ranking they were EASILY top 5 last year the only thing really up for debate was were they the best

And when you take all the numbers into account AND apply context.. I think they were
                              If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Working...
                              X