Tonight Did Not Alleviate OL Fears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight Did Not Alleviate OL Fears

I was at the game tonight and gotta say it did not help any of my OL concerns at all. Started nice with that first 7 yard run which looked great. But after that they got blown off the ball the whole night. The only time they moved the ball in the first couple of quarters were on misdirection plays and bootlegs, which is not good, these early preseason games are about seeing if players improved on specific technqiues and their ability to win one on one battles, and the OL guys did not do that.

Gave up sacks the first two pass plays, gave up a few more throughout the game, QBs got hurries a bunch as well and no push in the run game until very late.

The starting OL was most concerning IMO. Flowers still looks very bad. He gets pushed back way too much for a man his size. Plays to straight up. Richburg was aweful and missed a couple of assignments, which shouldn't happen considering he's supposed to be calling them out on the line.

On another note, Geno started out OK but looked worse and worse as the game went on. He missed quite a few open players downfield and his second pick was horrid. Johnson didn't look much better but frankly, he did not have much help with PITs DL on top of him every play.

On the positive. Liked how the TEs were used in a bunch of ways. Adams and Ellison made impactful plays both blocking and receiving.

The backup DL players showed well against PITs backups. Bromley, Tomlinson and Wynn were all very active and each made a couple of splash plays.

The back-up secondary guys played very poorly and were bailed out at least 3-4 times by either a poor throw or a drop.

This game was about measuring the OL (I think they were the only starting unit that played all the starters), the kickers (Rosas looked good) and the back-ups (mixed) so I think they did a good job answering some questions there, unfortunately not all of the answers were positive.

Hope JR is considering some additional OL options because they can't afford for the OL to be as poor as it was last year and tonight.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Am I missing something? I didn't see Flowers get pushed back at all

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
      Am I missing something? I didn't see Flowers get pushed back at all
      He may be off slightly on that but if Flowers can get to below average each game it would be an improvement over last year.

Sadly overall his assessment of the O line was correct
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

it gave me concerns i was more confident the additions (ellison ,fluker) would make a noticeable improvment.

Comment

I dont know how or why anyone would expect a different result from the same 5 guys that were there last season. Its very likely not gonna improve either, because you cant polish a turd
          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Y
            Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
            I was at the game tonight and gotta say it did not help any of my OL concerns at all. Started nice with that first 7 yard run which looked great. But after that they got blown off the ball the whole night. The only time they moved the ball in the first couple of quarters were on misdirection plays and bootlegs, which is not good, these early preseason games are about seeing if players improved on specific technqiues and their ability to win one on one battles, and the OL guys did not do that.

Gave up sacks the first two pass plays, gave up a few more throughout the game, QBs got hurries a bunch as well and no push in the run game until very late.

The starting OL was most concerning IMO. Flowers still looks very bad. He gets pushed back way too much for a man his size. Plays to straight up. Richburg was aweful and missed a couple of assignments, which shouldn't happen considering he's supposed to be calling them out on the line.

On another note, Geno started out OK but looked worse and worse as the game went on. He missed quite a few open players downfield and his second pick was horrid. Johnson didn't look much better but frankly, he did not have much help with PITs DL on top of him every play.

On the positive. Liked how the TEs were used in a bunch of ways. Adams and Ellison made impactful plays both blocking and receiving.

The backup DL players showed well against PITs backups. Bromley, Tomlinson and Wynn were all very active and each made a couple of splash plays.

The back-up secondary guys played very poorly and were bailed out at least 3-4 times by either a poor throw or a drop.

This game was about measuring the OL (I think they were the only starting unit that played all the starters), the kickers (Rosas looked good) and the back-ups (mixed) so I think they did a good job answering some questions there, unfortunately not all of the answers were positive.

Hope JR is considering some additional OL options because they can't afford for the OL to be as poor as it was last year and tonight.
            Yep! I gotta agree.

The OL did nothing to alleviate concerns about their ability to pass protect or to run block.

Yea, it's only a preseason game, but we've seen this movie before.

Comment

I've been very critical of Flowers, but he was not bad last night at all. He actually looked solid

Comment

I am always worried about Richburg because he's is a good technician but he is not very strong. So much pressure up the middle. He is weak. Flower's kick step was faster than last year but he still does. It get much bend. Still no push from the o line.

Comment

I thought Fluker played well sans what appeared to be that missed assignment. I keyed in on him for whatever reason at RG before he moved to RT. He just looked seasoned in pass pro in particular, like he knew how to engage, leverage the defender out of the pocket, and 2 times had the defender hit the ground as the defender lost leverage when trying to push forward.
                  Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game. Football is a team game.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                    I've been very critical of Flowers, but he was not bad last night at all. He actually looked solid
                    Yeah, at least I did not see him with his arm around anyone's neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
                      I dont know how or why anyone would expect a different result from the same 5 guys that were there last season. Its very likely not gonna improve either, because you cant polish a turd
                      Thats what I have been saying since the draft! Its the same thing! Last year we didnt do anything through the draft, FA, cuts..... And then this year we pick up a 6th rounder and a couple of UDFAs, and magically it will be better because we got another playmaker in Engram?

Ill wait another game or so, but it looked just like last year. And that is a troubling sign for our aging QB.
                      I APPLIED TO BE THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER OF THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS.

Comment

I have limited OL knowledge as far as technique goes, and have a hard time watching each player execute. But a few times I saw Flowers to what I saw last year, and that's drop his head and look down? like a brick is going to hit him on the crown of the head? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that's bad technique? The thirds really got destroyed however...
                        Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Comment

The O line and thus our offense is screwed. As the OP stated, my biggest fears were confirmed. Flowers, and our O line in general, are a bust and it doesn't matter how good our qb, running back, or receivers are if there is no protection. I don't even want to hear "its only pre season", I heard enough of that last year. So once again, the offense will be horrendous, Eli will waste another "final" year and some of you will make excuses for McAdoo having one of the worst offenses.

Bravo Reese, bravo! Thankfully your ego didn't get in the way of trying to cover up your HUGE mistake in the first round of 2015 and now the entire team will suffer from your arrogance and stubbornness.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmeng View Post
                            The O line and thus our offense is screwed. As the OP stated, my biggest fears were confirmed. Flowers, and our O line in general, are a bust and it doesn't matter how good our qb, running back, or receivers are if there is no protection. I don't even want to hear "its only pre season", I heard enough of that last year. So once again, the offense will be horrendous, Eli will waste another "final" year and some of you will make excuses for McAdoo having one of the worst offenses.

Bravo Reese, bravo! Thankfully your ego didn't get in the way of trying to cover up your HUGE mistake in the first round of 2015 and now the entire team will suffer from your arrogance and stubbornness.
                            Wow...

I think we should all be concerned about the O-Line. I could care less about last night and I have no different opinion on things because it's pre-season. I am concerned because of the bad play last year and the limited upgrades in the off season.

However, lighten up! Every NFL team has an area of weakness-with the possible exception of the Pats. It's life in the NFL with a salary cap. Overall, on paper the Giants are stacking up pretty good. Before last year, we had the right to be very critical of Reese...Maybe even think he should be fired. After last year, I don't know what fans want. He rebuild the defense and they were 11-5. Again, there was no real good solutions to upgrade the tackle positions in the off season. Reese made a calculated decision to upgrade other aspects of the team. It was a very weak year in FA and in the draft for this position. Lots of people here seem to forget that there are only 10-15 people on the planet that can play LT.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Thats what I have been saying since the draft! Its the same thing! Last year we didnt do anything through the draft, FA, cuts..... And then this year we pick up a 6th rounder and a couple of UDFAs, and magically it will be better because we got another playmaker in Engram?

Ill wait another game or so, but it looked just like last year. And that is a troubling sign for our aging QB.
                              Picking in the high teens, do you think it's possible for an OT to come in right away and make an impact? Most OTs either fail or take multiple years to develop. By that time, Eli would be done and we'd be in rebuilding mode anyway.
                              http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                              http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                              http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Working...
                              X