Tonight Did Not Alleviate OL Fears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    I was at the game tonight and gotta say it did not help any of my OL concerns at all. Started nice with that first 7 yard run which looked great. But after that they got blown off the ball the whole night. The only time they moved the ball in the first couple of quarters were on misdirection plays and bootlegs, which is not good, these early preseason games are about seeing if players improved on specific technqiues and their ability to win one on one battles, and the OL guys did not do that.

Gave up sacks the first two pass plays, gave up a few more throughout the game, QBs got hurries a bunch as well and no push in the run game until very late.

The starting OL was most concerning IMO. Flowers still looks very bad. He gets pushed back way too much for a man his size. Plays to straight up. Richburg was aweful and missed a couple of assignments, which shouldn't happen considering he's supposed to be calling them out on the line.

On another note, Geno started out OK but looked worse and worse as the game went on. He missed quite a few open players downfield and his second pick was horrid. Johnson didn't look much better but frankly, he did not have much help with PITs DL on top of him every play.

On the positive. Liked how the TEs were used in a bunch of ways. Adams and Ellison made impactful plays both blocking and receiving.

The backup DL players showed well against PITs backups. Bromley, Tomlinson and Wynn were all very active and each made a couple of splash plays.

The back-up secondary guys played very poorly and were bailed out at least 3-4 times by either a poor throw or a drop.

This game was about measuring the OL (I think they were the only starting unit that played all the starters), the kickers (Rosas looked good) and the back-ups (mixed) so I think they did a good job answering some questions there, unfortunately not all of the answers were positive.

Hope JR is considering some additional OL options because they can't afford for the OL to be as poor as it was last year and tonight.

Good post. The game wasn't televised where I'm at so thanks for the recap. I did listen to some of it on wfan and it sounded like the quarterbacks were under constant pressure. I doubt there's much JR can do at this point though. I've read mixed reviews on here about Flowers but our starters gave up 3 sacks so at least part of the oline wasn't good. Was Perkins doing a poor job in pass protection or did McAdoo leave Josh in the backfield by himself (pretty dumb if he did). The announcers on the radio were mostly positive on Webb....said he showed a lot of poise for a rookie. What did you think about his play?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmeng View Post
      The O line and thus our offense is screwed. As the OP stated, my biggest fears were confirmed. Flowers, and our O line in general, are a bust and it doesn't matter how good our qb, running back, or receivers are if there is no protection. I don't even want to hear "its only pre season", I heard enough of that last year. So once again, the offense will be horrendous, Eli will waste another "final" year and some of you will make excuses for McAdoo having one of the worst offenses.

Bravo Reese, bravo! Thankfully your ego didn't get in the way of trying to cover up your HUGE mistake in the first round of 2015 and now the entire team will suffer from your arrogance and stubbornness.
      Is it Reese or his scouts. We used 3 high draft picks on the oline the last several years just like the cowgirls but they got 3 perineal pro bowlers in Zach Martin, Travis Frederick and Tyron Smith. We got Flowers, Pugh and Richburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Kase-1 View Post
        Flowers was surprisingly good last night
        Pugh was decent
        Ritchburgh was sub part to say the least
        Jerry played quite well
        Hart has no business as a starter
        Hart was drafted to be a guard but all that changed with the Beatty injury. That caused them to put Flowers at LT instead of RT and to put Hart at RT. I expect Fluker to be playing RT by the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by giants_rock View Post

Is it Reese or his scouts. We used 3 high draft picks on the oline the last several years just like the cowgirls but they got 3 perineal pro bowlers in Zach Martin, Travis Frederick and Tyron Smith. We got Flowers, Pugh and Richburg.
          Good question but either way it falls on him.

Comment

Not that they were great, but the OL played MUCH better than what we saw last year in the first preseason game.

Last year they were HORRIBLE. This year they were mediocre. Not that it's saying much, but it is an improvement, imo.

Comment

Since the line has been together for so long i think it's time we give them a nickname..

I'm thinking..

"Ben and Jerry's soft serve"
              If you've never played your opinion is invalid

Comment

Originally posted by giants_rock View Post

Good post. The game wasn't televised where I'm at so thanks for the recap. I did listen to some of it on wfan and it sounded like the quarterbacks were under constant pressure. I doubt there's much JR can do at this point though. I've read mixed reviews on here about Flowers but our starters gave up 3 sacks so at least part of the oline wasn't good. Was Perkins doing a poor job in pass protection or did McAdoo leave Josh in the backfield by himself (pretty dumb if he did). The announcers on the radio were mostly positive on Webb....said he showed a lot of poise for a rookie. What did you think about his play?
                Didn't notice any pass protection issues with Perkins, but they didn't leave him in there on many pass plays. I think he was OK, if there was room to run, he got what he could. Darkwa had a couple of nice power runs and did Abdullah at the very end.

I think Webb showed pretty good and made overall good decisions.
                All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Yes it did, actually.

Flowers looks really good imo

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneroses6300 View Post
                    I thought Fluker played well sans what appeared to be that missed assignment. I keyed in on him for whatever reason at RG before he moved to RT. He just looked seasoned in pass pro in particular, like he knew how to engage, leverage the defender out of the pocket, and 2 times had the defender hit the ground as the defender lost leverage when trying to push forward.
                    that is good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                      The main thing we should be doing right now with Eli going into his upper 30s is build him a damn wall. Protect the future HOFer. We all know how he is with 5-6 seconds of time as opposed to 2-3 seconds. Flowers Richburg Pugh just isn't making it work.
                      all of us know how Eli performs when his protection sucks, he loses confidence and throws INTs and throws the ball into the dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by CRF11504 View Post
                        Yes it did, actually.

Flowers looks really good imo
                        Slightly improved is not "really good" in the eyes of.......well, everybody else.

He couldn't get any worse. Ergo, he could only improve
                        The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by gumby74 View Post

JR is certainly to blame for our OL problems, but while our OL is not good, most teams have OL issues. For me, it's about whether or not our OL is good enough to win with and how we compare to other teams in the league. The good teams, make it work. The bad teams don't.

The whole "our OL was aging, he should have seen that coming" is an easy way to call out any coach. If you have a strength at a certain area, you ride that position as long as you can given how thin money is spread out these days among the rest of the players. An example is Pittsburgh. They rode that defense until it was shot. Same with the OL. It took them years and years to rebuild the OL. The defense is still recovering. Yet somehow, they still won.
                          I am not doing so to be rude but I have to call this out and ur line of thought here really. Bunch of inconstincies.

first this notion that we always seem to discuss: this notion you take that bad is 1 size fit all. Meaning you see that other teams have OL issues and that's true but where you go off the rails is to then parallel that with since we have OL issues there issues are the same as ours. Which is exemplified in your "good teams make it work." Comment. Could it be that the good teams you refer to, while certainly having OL issues, don't have as near a bad situation we have had now for 3 years minimum and really as far back as 2010?

I don't know how to make it any easier: factually we have had the worst situation at tackle. Not 1 season but several. Since 2015 our tackles are the worst tackles combo for allowed pressures hurries hits and penalties. It's been stated repeatedly in scores of articles from differing sources. The very fact flowers is actually THE worst and Hart like 3rd worst, disqualifies your narrative. Bc the good teams u compare us with, who make due with what they have, don't have the level of issues we have on our OL.

then you went onto cite how Jr hit miss ratio is not bad even among the best gm and you have to compare him with fellow gm. You did this disqualifying someone else's point of view using this as your foundation. Your foundation has no stability fwiw bc actually the reality is opposite of what you declared. Jr in fact HAS the worst hit miss ratio of any gm in rounds 3 on for like 7 years now (may be more.) Again a fact repeated and cited in scores of articles over the years.

it's ATROCIOUS his hit miss ratio and for you to actually use his hit miss ratio and claim it to be even among the best...just smh.
                          what are you talking about man you aren't making any sense at least if one is approaching your claims looking for accuracy and consistency and I don't mean this as an insult I'm trying to debate your claims. If you feel I've been unfair pls highlight where and let's discuss them.

Comment

And my goodness I didn't even get started on your analysis of pitt which is just so inaccurate I don't even know where to begin.

I guess stating "pitt has yet to make any post season run and only made it like 1x to the playoffs themselves when not having a top 10 d and run game." Would almost disqualify your pov in full....Like are you trying to be wrong here?

You use pitt as an example of making it work when having our situation at OL and run game? Do you know that little you could actually try claiming that??

they've had like the best run game or among them just about yearly. Defense the same. Last year was such an anomaly pitt fans began wigging out and they still finished top half in the league.
                            both sb Ben has they had top FIVE d and run game lmao like really?

IF only we has an example of a giants qb to win a Sb with last ranked d and run game and OL...thaf would surely be the best example of making it work...

like seriously did you just try trolling for pitt? I think you did lol

Comment

Working...
                            X