Time to seriously look at the center position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to seriously look at the center position

Flowers, believe it or not, looked better than some of the other starters last night, However, he's still a work in progress. When will the same Flower's critics be equally as critical of our weak and overpowered center? Richburg is soft. He moves no one off the line in the run game and gets pushed back into the QB a lot. This big problem has been overshadowed by the play of Flower's, but make no mistake about it, Richburg is not a starting center.

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
    Flowers, believe it or not, looked better than some of the other starters last night, However, he's still a work in progress. When will the same Flower's critics be equally as critical of our weak and overpowered center? Richburg is soft. He moves no one off the line in the run game and gets pushed back into the QB a lot. This big problem has been overshadowed by the play of Flower's, but make no mistake about it, Richburg is not a starting center.
    Sadly your correct. Pittsburgh starting D was in our backfield every play it seemed. That's not what we wanted to see after all the hype we been hearing all off season how they all been working and training to improve their craft & get better. That is disheartening and frustrating to see & watch. Eli, Marshall & Odell would not have made any difference. If anything they were at least saved embarrassment for at least one week
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
    4-New York Giants!!!
    5-NE
    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Jerry looked no better . He was getting pushed back the entire time he played
      Never go to battle with the intellectually unarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Jerry looked no better . He was getting pushed back the entire time he played
        Agreed. I don't understand what this coaching staff and GM sees in Jerry. I really do not. However, our center is a problem as well, but some don't want to touch that topic.

Comment

Agreed. I don't understand what this coaching staff and GM sees in Jerry. I really do not. However, our center is a problem as well, but some don't want to touch that topic.
          I said this during the Offseason. This could be one of the underlying problems : Richburg can't call the protection properly. I got hammered for it. Something is going on. As a unit they get beat by Blitzes. They can't zone block. Their pass protection is hit or miss. There is no way this is just a lack of talent problem. For a group that has been together , they look way too disheveled. I think it goes beyond the shortcoming of each individual player.

It has to be the guy who is calling the shots. It is not Eli because it looks the same when he is in there. It is either Mike Solari is inept at coaching this group of guys. Or.....The Center is clueless on what on what protection to call but that again is the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I said this during the Offseason. This could be one of the underlying problems : Richburg can't call the protection properly. I got hammered for it. Something is going on. As a unit they get beat by Blitzes. They can't zone block. Their pass protection is hit or miss. There is no way this is just a lack of talent problem. For a group that has been together , they look way too disheveled. I think it goes beyond the shortcoming of each individual player.

It has to be the guy who is calling the shots. It is not Eli because it looks the same when he is in there. It is either Mike Solari is inept at coaching this group of guys. Or.....The Center is clueless on what on what protection to call but that again is the coach.
            Or both. You make some valid points. I'm not so excited about this season now, as I was before seeing this line at it once again. I really think it's a coaching and talent issue. This line has the toughness of a kitten. They are embarrassing to watch, especially in the run game. Eli better be prepared to run for his life again this season, unless they just roll the dice and start looking at other players, which they wont. Can it get any worse?

Comment

Or both. You make some valid points. I'm not so excited about this season now, as I was before seeing this line at it once again. I really think it's a coaching and talent issue. This line has the toughness of a kitten. They are embarrassing to watch, especially in the run game. Eli better be prepared to run for his life again this season, unless they just roll the dice and start looking at other players, which they wont. Can it get any worse?
              Just plugging a player into a bad system is just a surface solution. It does not address the underlying problem.

Comment

Its not the coach who has a history of great Olines or the Veteran QB who has seen and done it all. Its the center. The dude should be solid as a rock by now and leading this crew but is that happening? A proven leader is still available out there....... his name is Nick Mangold. Please Jerry go and get this guy, please BMarsh pick up the phone and have a conversation. I know things will get a little better and its early blah blah. We have too many weapons for what ifs. Its time to impose the weapons on the NFL and it starts with the Oline. Nick will solidify the Center position.

Comment

I know I sound like that lunatic CRF, but Jerry didn't play too bad last night

Ritchburgh on the other hand had a ROUGH game last night
                  Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

I agree, he has been treated too kindly here and by the media. He is not anything like "top 5 at his position". I think that he and Pugh are always there for a quote and that gives them a pass with the media. Richburg is OK and Pugh is OK but someone will soon pay them "more than OK" money. Our cap dollars are better used elsewhere.
                    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

This is a finesse OL, with no road graders, which is why they are so bad at run blocking. Its not at all likely that they'll ever improve on that, because its not what they're there for. Better get used to seeing them getting pushed backwards, like they have been for the last few years.

All the offensive weapons in the world wont save the offense as long as this is happening.
                      The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I agree, he has been treated too kindly here and by the media. He is not anything like "top 5 at his position". I think that he and Pugh are always there for a quote and that gives them a pass with the media. Richburg is OK and Pugh is OK but someone will soon pay them "more than OK" money. Our cap dollars are better used elsewhere.
                        Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post
                          This is a finesse OL, with no road graders, which is why they are so bad at run blocking. Its not at all likely that they'll ever improve on that, because its not what they're there for. Better get used to seeing them getting pushed backwards, like they have been for the last few years.

All the offensive weapons in the world wont save the offense as long as this is happening.
                          Pop passes, swing passes, play action roll outs and short slants will be the best bet for us to convert 3rd and short this year. Thankfully, our personnel seems to be right for that.

In such a physical sport I do find it depressing that we've accumulated so many ******* on one side of the trench. It will take several years to fix it..

Flowers it the closest thing we have to a road grader, that is how bad it is.
                          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

Pop passes, swing passes, play action roll outs and short slants will be the best bet for us to convert 3rd and short this year. Thankfully, our personnel seems to be right for that.

In such a physical sport I do find it depressing that we've accumulated so many ******* on one side of the trench. It will take several years to fix it..

Flowers it the closest thing we have to a road grader, that is how bad it is.
                            I'm not gonna lie, I got excited seeing Geno easily complete a few swing passes and screens that Eli almost always struggles to complete LOL
                            The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

If it is as you say "Finesse" they need to improve on timing. They have none.

Comment

Working...
                              X