Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor's The Name; Toughness, The Game

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6127

Excerpt: "Giants’ safety Cooper Taylor smiled when he was asked what it was like to don the big helmet emblazoned with the “NY” logo on either side for the first time.

“It’s kind of completion of a goal to get to this level after all I went through,” he said as he briefly broke eye contact to glance at the helmet hanging in his temporary locker stall in the middle of the Giants’ locker room.
    “I was so excited to put that helmet on for the first time for practice that I think I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to calm myself down,” he added.

On a first glance, Taylor, all 6-4, 228 lbs. of him, looks like your average boy next door. He’s clean cut with dark blond hair. He has an engaging and pleasant personality, and looks people in the eye, regardless of how well he knows them.
    For as laid back as his off-field demeanor on the field is, he’s a completely different person on the field — a tough rookie whose experiences of the last five years have taught him more about himself and about life than anything a coach could.

A Life-changing Event

Like all rookies, Taylor went to college and had a productive career as a safety, beginning with his time at Georgia Tech where, according to his collegiate bio, in just three games started as a freshman, he ranked second on the team and second among all ACC freshmen in tackles (69), including 45 solo tackles.

Unlike all rookies, Taylor’s career hit a major bump in the road when in 2009 after three games, the then-19-year-old was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) Syndrome, a rare heart condition that affects a small percentage of the population and which is usually present at birth in the form of an extra, abnormal electrical pathway in the heart.

For Taylor, who got the news after an electrocardiogram (EKG) was performed on him following his exit from a game against Miami on Sept. 17 after he reported an unusual heartbeat rhythm to the team doctors, the diagnosis and what it potentially meant was, understandably, devastating.

As a kid playing college football, that is your life,” he said. “I thought football was going to be taken away from me. I really thought if you have a heart condition, my career would be done.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I bet this kid would be a good matchup with some of the bigger faster TE's in the league today. I do not think he will be a LB type he looks pretty thin but I think he could be a 3rd safety/specialty player for sure.
    sigpic
    S/O to Flip Empty for the sig
    6th) Fred Ross WR Miss St 7th) J. Reeves-Maybin LB Tenn

Comment

I think Super Cooper has that 3rd safety/hybrid LB role in him.. I'm honestly most excited about him and Herman

Comment

Originally posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
        I bet this kid would be a good matchup with some of the bigger faster TE's in the league today. I do not think he will be a LB type he looks pretty thin but I think he could be a 3rd safety/specialty player for sure.
        Sounds like a good pick.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
          I think Super Cooper has that 3rd safety/hybrid LB role in him.. I'm honestly most excited about him and Herman
          I know many were disappointed about not selecting a LB, but here is Cooper and we also have Moore who are being talked about in terms of being developed as hybrid players to play at LB and DE or S. Can that be the answer, even in the short term with the 3 safety scheme.
          Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            I know many were disappointed about not selecting a LB, but here is Cooper and we also have Moore who are being talked about in terms of being developed as hybrid players to play at LB and DE or S. Can that be the answer, even in the short term with the 3 safety scheme.
            with all these read options QBs now, these two could be huge..
            Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-13-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I think Cooper's ability to cover TE will actually make us more potent at LB than drafting an actual LB would. If we use him in a 3 safety set, it would be like having the best of both worlds... he'd be good against the run and the pass...

One other thing that having versatile players around would help in is that you could change the formations even when facing a no-huddle. Taylor could line up as a linebacker or a safety, Moore could line up as a linebacker or DE, continually showing new looks and defeat the purpose of the no-huddle (forcing the same look each time)...
              Last edited by Toadofsteel; 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
                with all these read options QBs now, these two could be huge..
                Speed and quickness will be key and I think both have that.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                  I think Cooper's ability to cover TE will actually make us more potent at LB than drafting an actual LB would. If we use him in a 3 safety set, it would be like having the best of both worlds... he'd be good against the run and the pass...

One other thing that having versatile players around would help in is that you could change the formations even when facing a no-huddle. Taylor could line up as a linebacker or a safety, Moore could line up as a linebacker or DE, continually showing new looks and defeat the purpose of the no-huddle (forcing the same look each time)...
                  Interesting point

Comment

Big Blue's Secondary Coach Must Be Very Pleased With His Safetys

Rolle, Brown, Hill , and now Cooper. I'd say the Giants safety pos. is in very good hands.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlitzer View Post
                      Rolle, Brown, Hill , and now Cooper. I'd say the Giants safety pos. is in very good hands.
                      don't forget Sash & Mundy.. aka the law firm

Comment

Nice to see someone on the defensive side of the ball with the name Taylor on his Jersey once again. That alone is worth the draft pick lol.
                        Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
                          Nice to see someone on the defensive side of the ball with the name Taylor on his Jersey once again. That alone is worth the draft pick lol.
                          Lol imagine if this kid becomes the best LB/S in the league... Not like it's likely to happen, but if it did, we might have to give this kid #56...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                            Lol imagine if this kid becomes the best LB/S in the league... Not like it's likely to happen, but if it did, we might have to give this kid #56...
                            They'd have to unretire the number which was done many years ago. Don't think that's happening lol.
                            Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

They have some interesting players on defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X