Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Justin Pugh Ready, Willing, And Able To Slide To The Right Side

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ady_willi.html

Excerpt:"The change is as subtle as putting his left hand down in the three-point stance instead of his right. It’s also as dramatic as moving from the left side of the offensive line to the right, from protecting the quarterback’s blind side to be the focal point of the running game.

Giants first-round pick Justin Pugh, a three-year starter at left tackle for Syracuse, has been switched to right tackle. He’s playing the position for the first time in his career, save for a few practice reps here and there.

The Giants view Pugh as the heir apparent to 11-year veteran David Diehl and as an infusion of youth on an aging and ailing offensive line. He could be in the lineup sooner rather than later with Diehl coming off a down season and accepting a pay cut to return. He also had offseason knee surgery.

In addition, current backup James Brewer is unproven.

During the Giants’ just-concluded two-day rookie minicamp over the weekend, Pugh settled into his new position, showing athleticism and a mean streak. He wears his 6-4, 301-pound frame well.

"At first, when I first did it at the end of the season," Pugh said when asked if he felt awkward on the right side. "But I’ve been working on my right tackle stance. It feels a lot better now. I just need to keep getting more and more live reps and it’ll get easier.

"The whole thing is protect the inside. Before, I was right hand, right foot and now it’s just left hand, left foot. So it’s just getting used to that and just feeling more comfortable in that stance. It’s something that I feel really comfortable with now and just need to keep building on it over the summer." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Good sign! And honestly, his pass protection skills will be a MASSIVE improvement over Diehl, even if he doesn't immediately impact the running game.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Anything will be better than Diehl.
      Diehl can give him good veteran mentorship...

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

hopefully Croatia doesnt play anymore...

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

if he is better he should play......
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
            Do you think it will happen?
            Considering our "tactics" to sit our rookies...

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
              +1
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
                Diehl can give him good veteran mentorship...
                Diehl has much football knowledge gained from experience and hard knocks. He should be a handy one to have mentoring and showing how.

Comment

Originally posted by ashleymarie View Post
                  Diehl has much football knowledge gained from experience and hard knocks. He should be a handy one to have mentoring and showing how.
                  if he is willing....I do not know many people that help someone take their job....sports or in real life....its just human nature to not want to help the competition
                  "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
                    if he is willing....I do not know many people that help someone take their job....sports or in real life....its just human nature to not want to help the competition
                    Diehl is at the end of his career, giving advice to a new player would seem to be something he is more than willing to do

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      Diehl is at the end of his career, giving advice to a new player would seem to be something he is more than willing to do
                      we as fans and probably everyone in the world know that.....the question is does Diehl think he's at the end or is he going to do what he can to hold on as long as he can....If you just think he is going to roll over and give up his job and lively hood I think you are misjudging him as a person and a competitor
                      "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
                        we as fans and probably everyone in the world know that.....the question is does Diehl think he's at the end or is he going to do what he can to hold on as long as he can....If you just think he is going to roll over and give up his job and lively hood I think you are misjudging him as a person and a competitor
                        He sliced his contract by some two thirds. I would say that he knows he's at the end of his career. If he hadn't re-done is contract, he would have been released in all likelihood. He still has value as a rotational player and mentor.

He's well liked inside the organization and I think he'll gladly earn his last $1M however they ask him to.

Comment

IMHO Diehl wants to retire a Giant and will do whatever it takes to make that happen, including helping Pugh.

On a side note, the more I hear Pugh speak, the more impressed I get. He's a smart well spoken kid and that is extremely important on the OL.

Comment

Working...
                          X