Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until MetLife Stadium is outdated and obsolete?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long until MetLife Stadium is outdated and obsolete?

    After seeing images of the new Vikings stadium, it made me wonder how much longer until MetLife is considered outdated. Hell, it could be considered outdated already (especially in terms of amenities and fan experience). MetLife is probably one of the worst stadiums built in the past 10 years. It offers almost nothing over Giants Stadium for most fans, and it cost $1.6 Billion on the backs of season ticket holders for the Giants & Jets. I guess we have 30 more years until we get a real stadium upgrade from the original Giants Stadium.

  • #2
    It should last about 30 years
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

    Comment


    • #3
      outdated and obsolete vs plain and mundane are 2 totally different things.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think he answered his own question?

        Stand with Cruz!
        80

        Comment


        • #5
          At least it didn't use taxpayer money

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok sorry outdated and obsolete are two different things. I guess we can all agree its outdated in terms of fan amenities and experience after only 3 seasons. PATHETIC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Manning View Post
              After seeing images of the new Vikings stadium, it made me wonder how much longer until MetLife is considered outdated. Hell, it could be considered outdated already (especially in terms of amenities and fan experience). MetLife is probably one of the worst stadiums built in the past 10 years. It offers almost nothing over Giants Stadium for most fans, and it cost $1.6 Billion on the backs of season ticket holders for the Giants & Jets. I guess we have 30 more years until we get a real stadium upgrade from the original Giants Stadium.
              Where do you sit?

              I was in 309 in Giants Stadium and im in 143 now and I couldn't disagree more about Metlife not being an upgrade.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by davepc View Post
                Where do you sit?

                I was in 309 in Giants Stadium and im in 143 now and I couldn't disagree more about Metlife not being an upgrade.
                322 -> 328

                Comment


                • #9
                  Its not that its outdated or obsolete. Its that its poorly designed and conceived.
                  For instance........Getting up to the 3rd level is a nightmare.
                  And you are way too far from the field in the new stadium. Takes 20 minutes to adjust your eyes.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'll be honest, being a fan I had always tried to look only at the good in the design. As an architect, I came away very underwhelmed when we were brought there when I was a member of AIAS while it was just being completed. None of the finish materials had been brought in, but the structural and HVAC were done. It was a project where the emphasis was on to save on future operational costs, which is why it probably had a higher initial cost compared to other stadiums. From a design standpoint, rather than sustainability being an application to a project where the concept was centered around the fans, it seemed like the concept was sustainability itself which is considered a no-no.

                    Still, I figured that it would all be irrelevant as it's the fans themselves, the team and moments that occurred on the field that would define the stadium. So from a functional standpoint, it will outlast other stadiums, especially Cowboys stadium, as it will be able to run with lower bills and a smaller ecological footprint longer than the others. From a design standpoint, it was rather uninspiring and unoriginal before ground was even broken. From a sporting historical standpoint, it has yet to be defined.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Looks like a tin tuna can. Cold and sterile. Plain. Vanilla. What ever. Looks better at night though.
                      WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        Its not that its outdated or obsolete. Its that its poorly designed and conceived.
                        For instance........Getting up to the 3rd level is a nightmare.
                        And you are way too far from the field in the new stadium. Takes 20 minutes to adjust your eyes.
                        The lines for the bathroom in the Terrace Level at halftime are worse than they ever were at Giants Stadium too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                          Looks like a tin tuna can. Cold and sterile. Plain. Vanilla. What ever. Looks better at night though.
                          You know, you bring up a good point... it seems like it was made a sterile gray color so that the lighting system would add in the color (so that way, it glows in team colors). One would think that the super bowl will use a completely different lighting scheme.

                          For my own aesthertics persoective, while I have never been to the stadium, I will say, that if you're approaching the stadium on 3 East during the day, as you crest the hill and the stadium appears, my eyes have so much trouble adjusting to the sight of it. It's like i'm looking at physical static sometimes...

                          I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Looks like a big air conditioner from the outside. Or a stack of CDs...

                            Insdie is nice, filed surface looks way better, screens are bigger/clearer, but seats are further away from the field.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by penguinfarmer View Post
                              I'll be honest, being a fan I had always tried to look only at the good in the design. As an architect, I came away very underwhelmed when we were brought there when I was a member of AIAS while it was just being completed. None of the finish materials had been brought in, but the structural and HVAC were done. It was a project where the emphasis was on to save on future operational costs, which is why it probably had a higher initial cost compared to other stadiums. From a design standpoint, rather than sustainability being an application to a project where the concept was centered around the fans, it seemed like the concept was sustainability itself which is considered a no-no.

                              Still, I figured that it would all be irrelevant as it's the fans themselves, the team and moments that occurred on the field that would define the stadium. So from a functional standpoint, it will outlast other stadiums, especially Cowboys stadium, as it will be able to run with lower bills and a smaller ecological footprint longer than the others. From a design standpoint, it was rather uninspiring and unoriginal before ground was even broken. From a sporting historical standpoint, it has yet to be defined.
                              nice post! +100000

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X