X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking NFL Q BS: Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, and Brees are Elite, Eli Almost

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...es-eli-almost-

Excerpt: "Any time you rank a group of things, people get angry. And when you start ranking NFL quarterbacks and then (stupidly?) throwing labels on them, people get real angry. So be prepared to get mad at the following list of quarterbacks, from best to worst.

Prepared to get especially mad because there's really not a precise way of categorizing guys. There's a group of "elite" quarterbacks up top (my group only features four of them, but it can vary dependent on your preferences), there's another group of quarterbacks who have proven they can win right below that, there's a great crop of "young guns," there's a big slew of veteran quarterbacks stuck in limbo in terms of their future as franchise guys, and there's even a glob of young "put up or shut up" quarterbacks.

I've got them roughly grouped like that below, but the defining criteria for this list is that I've picked, in order with one or two quarterbacks from each team, the signal caller who I think gives me the best chance to win a Super Bowl in 2013 if all things -- wideouts, offensive line, defense -- were created equal.It's not a list for building a franchise for the long-term future, it's a list for winning this season. And it's also an indication of how deep and talented the quarterback pool in the NFL really is. Feel free to leave your list in the comments or tell me your thoughts on my list on Twitter @WillBrinson

Elite

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers: Rodgers didn't have his best statistical season in 2012 and the Packers didn't climb the mountain, but there's no reason to think of him as anything other than the best quarterback in football. He threw for 4,295 yards, 39 touchdowns and had only eight picks last season. A revamped offensive line and the addition of Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin in the running game should only help him improve.

2. Tom Brady, Patriots:
    I give Brady the ever-so-slight edge on Peyton Manning here, mainly because I think that if you swapped their situations, Brady could put up some eye-popping numbers. He has Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, but he's losing Wes Welker. Danny Amendola joining New England is nice, but I'm not convinced that swap doesn't end up burning Bill Belichick and Co. Brady's two biggest advantages, though, are health (I'm less worried about him than Manning) and a history of throwing to absolute garbage wideouts and still succeeding.

3. Peyton Manning, Broncos:
    It's almost unfathomable, but Manning nearly had the best season of his career at the age of 36, coming off a few neck surgeries and playing for a new team for the first time in his career. Manning threw for 4,659 yards, 37 touchdowns and 11 interceptions and with Welker coming to Denver, his stats might only get better. This is really 2A and 2B, more than anything else.

4. Drew Brees, Saints:
    You could argue that Brees is higher and maybe he'll be after a year that features a better defense and the return of Sean Payton. Still, Brees threw for more than 5,000 yards for the second-straight season and threw for 43 touchdowns in 2012. His completion percentage (63) was lower and interceptions (19) were higher than you'd like to see from him though.

The next group

5. Eli Manning, Giants: Yeah, yeah. You can't spell "Elite" without "Eli." And with his secondSuper Bowl ring in 2011, the younger Manning proves he belongs. But I'm cutting the list a little shorter for these purposes, and I feel justified after Eli "only" threw for 3,948 yards and 26 touchdowns (along with 15 interceptions) in a slightly down season that saw the Giants miss the playoffs. I'd still be more than happy riding Manning as my franchise guy." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

You just opened Pandora's box...

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

It seemed a little dull.......tired of the Cruz threads lol
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

lol, I hope Cruz gets signed soon so people stop complaining

Comment

So how long until this thread gets locked

Comment

This again? who cares if he's Elite he has more rings than 3 guys on that list,

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              It seemed a little dull.......tired of the Cruz threads lol
              Currently trending on the TAGF section

1) 24/7 reporting on Cruz activities such as his leisure choices and what he eats every night

2) LINEBAKUUUUUHHHHSSSS

3) Why Metlife Stadium is a horrible place and you should feel bad if you support it

Have to love the offseason!

Comment

Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
                So how long until this thread gets locked
                Why would it get locked?

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                  Currently trending on the TAGF section

1) 24/7 reporting on Cruz activities such as his leisure choices and what he eats every night

2) LINEBAKUUUUUHHHHSSSS

3) Why Metlife Stadium is a horrible place and you should feel bad if you support it

Have to love the offseason!

The "We Need Cheerleaders" threads are a bit late this year.

Comment

lol

Comment

Why would it get locked?
                      Are you serious?
                      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

The writers own justifications for the Brady/Peyton placement completely contradict themselves in my opinion. He's claiming Brady has thrown to "absolute garbage" his entire career? Any given year that team molded a system around players or vice versa. He's making it sound like the Patriots were matching Deon Branch up with #1 CB's and throwing streak routes every play and still "somehow succeeded". He HAD Welker last year, and as he mentions he had Gronk and Hernandez. 90% of his passes were aimed at those three. That's how their system was set up. If he's going to try to use that for Brady, why not for Peyton who got a productive year out of 36 year old Brandon Stokley?

I dunno, his justification is weak IMO.

Comment

Can we get Kate Upton on our squad? I'll be a happy man..

Comment

This list is very fair. If this causes a scuffle between the "realists" and the "cutlists", then that's a damn shame.
                            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by EnragedYouth85 View Post
                              Can we get Kate Upton on our squad? I'll be a happy man..
                              I've been wondering if that is a potential holdup in the Cruz negotiations. There is evidence that Cruz is friends with Ms. Upton and it could be possible that Jay-Z is pushing for a celebrity cheerleading squad in the event the Giants won't pay Cruz over $8M a season.

Comment

Working...
                              X