Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former GM Ernie Arcorsi On Trading For Eli Manning: "There Is No Price Too High.."

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former GM Ernie Arcorsi On Trading For Eli Manning: "There Is No Price Too High.."

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/19/...for-greatness/

Excerpt: "New York Giants fans know the story of the 2004 NFL Draft. The Giants went 4-12 in 2003 and possessed the number four selection as a result of the season. With Kerry Collins leaving, then-General Manager Ernie Accorsi wanted to draft a quarterback to take over the franchise.

The San Diego Chargers had the first pick and many felt that they would select Eli Manning out of Ole Miss, but the younger brother of Peyton Manning wasn't interested in going to San Diego.

In an interview with NFL Network, Accorsi reflected on how the day of the 2004 NFL Draft turned out and how the Giants future was altered.

Accorsi on scouting Manning:

"I scouted him back in 2002 and he nearly beat Auburn by himself. The next year, he took his team to the Cotton Bowl and won. My gut feeling was that if we could trade up for him, we needed to do it," he said." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

What's the over/under on this thread page length? 15 or 20?
    The Modern Giants fan kit:
    sigpic

Comment

history proved Ernie to be correct. Eli may not have been the sole reason we won these last 2, but was a huge part, and other facets of the trade also had lasting impact. I think if we had a first round pick the next year, we don't sign all three of Plax, Mac and AP. All 3 were huge contributors to the team success. I could go on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by SimmsandLT View Post
        Cancel all your plans for today, get some beer and nachos and just chill
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

What I will always remember about it is that the Giants never cause draft day drama, never trade up, never draft the big name guy. Ron Dayne was a big deal around here because he won the Heisman.

We had a repeat of that this year when we selected Pugh.
          8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

I wonder if today's FO still thinks "There is no price too high for greatness"?

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              I wonder if today's FO still thinks "There is no price too high for greatness"?
              Absolutely, a winning Franchise QB is worth all the world to the team. It could be the difference between being a competitive team in league as supposed to being a doormat team for several years. The FO still have to do their homework in scouting and analysis so if the team does have to trade up in the draft, it'll be well worth it and don't end up like the Jets trading up for someone like Mark Sanchez.

With rookie-capped salaries, there no breaking the bank either to pay them after they get drafted now.

Comment

Eli is an incredible quaterback in his own unique way. He can really take over a freaking game if he's on it. He can be off horribly and then out of nowhere turn it on and be this insanely potent qb. I love how it doesn't matter how much the giants are down in the 4th quarter bc I always feel we have a shot with Eli at the helm. He's a huge part in us winning those two superbowls.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
                  Absolutely, a winning Franchise QB is worth all the world to the team. It could be the difference between being a competitive team in league as supposed to being a doormat team for several years. The FO still have to do their homework in scouting and analysis so if the team does have to trade up in the draft, it'll be well worth it and don't end up like the Jets trading up for someone like Mark Sanchez.

With rookie-capped salaries, there no breaking the bank either to pay them after they get drafted now.
                  But is they didn't have the rookie scale like the year Eli was drafted......

Comment

But if they didn't have the rookie scale like the year Eli was drafted......
                    I thought the rookie scale made the high picks much more affordable than before?
                    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
                      I thought the rookie scale made the high picks much more affordable than before?
                      Absolutely they do. It makes it much easier to draft high and hope the potential develops

Comment

Originally posted by SimmsandLT View Post
                        With Eli "realist/cutlist" club, over. Without, under.
                        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                          With Eli "realist/cutlist" club, over. Without, under.
                          So over it is then lol

Comment

So over it is then lol
                            IF they show up
                            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                              IF they show up
                              Does a bear **** in the woods?

Comment

Working...
                              X