Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Good Can The Giants' Running Game Be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Can The Giants' Running Game Be?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/20...ki-justin-pugh

Excerpt: "The story of how the New York Giants were the worst rushing team in the league in 2011 when they won the Super Bowl is well known because it sparked a lot of debate about the importance of the running game in the modern NFL. Despite winning the Super Bowl the Giants have shown through their actions that they were not satisfied with being a marginal running team -- actions like drafting David Wilson in the first round in the 2012 NFL draft and then Justin Pugh in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

And after bottoming out in 2011 (see chart below), I'm feeling the Giants could have one of the top running games in the league in 2013. One of the unheralded factors in why I think the Giants running game could be a strength of the team this year was recently highlighted by Pro Football Focus.

For those wondering how we determine a “success rate”, I’ll define it the same way a number of the teams we work with do: collecting 40 percent of required yardage on first down, 60 percent of required yardage on second down, and 100 percent on either third or fourth down.

The results are interesting.

Henry Hynoski 103 114 217 47.47%
    Will Tukuafu 28 32 60 46.67%
    Jed Collins 69 91 160 43.13%
    Charles Clay 28 37 65 43.08%
    Jerome Felton 108 144 252 42.86%
    Vonta Leach 103 143 246 41.87%
    Darrel Young 82 115 197 41.62%
    James Casey 103 145 248 41.53%
    Lex Hilliard 70 99 169 41.42%
    Jorvorskie Lane 77 109 186 41.40%
    The Giants’ “Hynocerous” leads the way in an indication of the Giants’ rushing attack being far more potent when he is on the field (he was also lined up at fullback for 15 of their touchdown runs). Behind him you get Will Tukuafu whose 46.67 percent puts the 39.27 percent of Bruce Miller (who finished 13th) to shame.

The Giants are one of the few teams who consistently use a fullback -- and according to Pro Football Focus are the team that benefits most from the play of their fullback. The continued importance of the run game to Tom Coughlin should not be understated and this year we I expect the Giants to have more rushing opportunities (last year they were 22nd in the league in attempts). Hynoski's continued development as well as the second year for the exciting Wilson and the addition of Pugh in the lineup sets up the Giants with perhaps their best running game weapons since 2008." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

This all gets blown up by Gilbride's fascination of the aerial attack, even on 3rd and short. I wopuld love the Giants to get to the ground and pound game again, in 2008 it was doing wonders till Plax plaxxed himself in the plax. Get that running game back and it will improve every aspect of the offense.

Thanks RF
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      This all gets blown up by Gilbride's fascination of the aerial attack, even on 3rd and short. I wopuld love the Giants to get to the ground and pound game again, in 2008 it was doing wonders till Plax plaxxed himself in the plax. Get that running game back and it will improve every aspect of the offense.

Thanks RF
      I think the inconsistent OLine was more of a problem than we might think. I don't think the team has yet looked for the passing attack to "carry the day" as a philosophy but the running game has to get back on track.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
        I think the inconsistent OLine was more of a problem than we might think. I don't think the team has yet looked for the passing attack to "carry the day" as a philosophy but the running game has to get back on track.
        Oh, I have been saying that for years. We need a boost at the OL position. Almost any average RB can look great behind a great OL (derrek ward for example), but a great RB can look bad behind a bad OL. I hope Pugh is the next Snee at worst though.

Comment

From Jacobs and Bradshaw to Andre Brown and Wilson....business as usual.

I like this AB/Wilson combination, looking forward to what they can do next year.

Comment

Oh, I have been saying that for years. We need a boost at the OL position. Almost any average RB can look great behind a great OL (derrek ward for example), but a great RB can look bad behind a bad OL. I hope Pugh is the next Snee at worst though.
            I'm hoping for Pugh to continue working at RT. I would much rather have Snee at LG than Diehl at RT as a starter. Pugh's versatility is going to be a huge plus for us over the long term.
            Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
              From Jacobs and Bradshaw to Andre Brown and Wilson....business as usual.

I like this AB/Wilson combination, looking forward to what they can do next year.
              +1

Comment

+1
                +2
                sigpic
                FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

I'm hoping for Pugh to continue working at RT. I would much rather have Snee at LG than Diehl at RT as a starter. Pugh's versatility is going to be a huge plus for us over the long term.
                  Totally agree, I think Wilson and Brown are plenty capable, just need the line to do their part. Should be fun to watch.
                  Last edited by RoanokeFan; 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FishinTheSalt View Post
                    Totally agree, I think Wilson and Brown are plenty capable, just need the line to do their part. Should be fun to watch.
                    The thing I like most about Brown is his patience behind the line.

Comment

Thanks RF
                      I agree....I think the running game would be alot better of Gilbride stopped trying to be so clever. I also think his mancrush on Bradshaw hurt both the running game and Bradshaw in 2012.

Reese has spoken.....it's time for Wilson to get the rock.
                      "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

He's the best I've seen since Tiki Barber in that respect.

Tiki was the absolute best in terms of field vision....Brown was very good though.
                        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                          I agree....I think the running game would be alot better of Gilbride stopped trying to be so clever. I also think his mancrush on Bradshaw hurt both the running game and Bradshaw in 2012.

Reese has spoken.....it's time for Wilson to get the rock.
                          My problem is not so much Gilbride's playcalling. It's with the personnel he uses doing it. A pitch out 4 yards deep on 3rd and 1 with a 6'5 260lb running back with no lateral quickness? A TE screen with slow footed Bear Pascoe?!
                          The Modern Giants fan kit:
                          sigpic

Comment

'

Oh, well I would hope so. I was saying Snee's talent level though. Snee was a better OL then Diehl IMO, but Diehl had the versatility for sure, like Pugh should have. If he isnt our starting RT in the future (or even present), we missed on the pick.

Comment

He waits for the play to develop then pounds through with decent speed. If he could stay healthy I could definitely see him having a good year. We also used him a lot on the goal line last year, I'm expecting that to continiue.

Comment

Working...
                              X