Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Cox Nearly Signed With The Bears Before Being Drafted By NY Giants

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/21/...w-york-giants/

Excerpt: "As the 2013 NFL Draft was winding down, UMass running back Michael Cox assumed he wasn't going to be drafted. Accordingly, he and his agent had begun working on an UDFA deal with the Chicago Bears — a deal he was about to sign — when he received an unexpected call from head coach Tom Coughlin and the New York Giants.

“I was literally about to sign. I had the paperwork ready and was about to set that all up,” Cox said. “They put me on hold for a second. That’s when New York called and it was Coughlin. He said ‘we’re going to draft you in a couple seconds here.’”

The Giants lived up to their word and took Cox in the 7th round of the draft with the next-to-last pick (253rd overall).

Shortly after the selection of Cox, General Manager Jerry Reese expressed excitement with the pick, claiming the young running back has a legitimate shot to make an impact in the NFL, similar to former 7th round pick Ahmad Bradshaw (250th overall)." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Hey I admit I don't know the rules, but wouldn't the draft need to be officially over before you can sign a deal?
    The Modern Giants fan kit:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SimmsandLT View Post
      Hey I admit I don't know the rules, but wouldn't the draft need to be officially over before you can sign a deal?
      Yes, I think they were "preparing" to sign with the Bears by getting the papers in order.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

what a Cox!

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          Yes, I think they were "preparing" to sign with the Bears by getting the papers in order.
          are you even allowed to start preparing to sign before draft is over?
          sigpic
          FUTURE NY GIANTS PLAYER

2015 season tbd

Comment

hope he pans out. Would love to see a top level running game.....
            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Yes, but deals often get done as the draft winds down and finalized when the draft is over. I believe we had like the second or third to last pick in the 7th. "About to sign" could mean in 15 minutes when the draft is over.

Comment

anybody know whether or not Cox can block because as we've all seen if he can't block he won't play in the backfield

Comment

I like his size and speed... If he develops I see another Eddie George type of runner.
                  sigpic

Comment

Would be nice to have another Bradshaw
                    Last edited by Broadway Blue; 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

He can keep the papers handy for when the Giants release him during the pre-season.

Comment

That was my first thought when I saw this.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
                          Your not supposed to but players are signed like 2 seconds after the draft ends. How does that happen? I love the headline of this article:

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/...-the-nfl-draft

Comment

Originally posted by ryan12 View Post
                            I can't imagine a team would risk a penalty to sign a player they felt would go undrafted. Teams are allowed to bring a number of players in for visits before the draft. I haven't seen any reports that the NFL or NFPLA were looking into it.

Comment

It would be nice to actually see some footage of this guy in school. So far there's nothing but a flip....I have no idea what kind of player he is and what he projects like at the next level.
                              "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

Comment

Working...
                              X