Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing The Hynoscerous: What Will The Giants Do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing The Hynoscerous: What Will The Giants Do?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/23...ts-bear-pascoe

Excerpt: "What will the New York Giants do at fullback with Henry Hynoski set for knee surgery on Friday, a fact that despite Hynoski's determination makes his availability at least early in the 2013 NFL season a question mark.

The obvious short-term answer is to lean on Bear Pascoe, the 27-year-old blocking tight end who has spent some time at fullback in each of the past two seasons. The 6-foot-5, 257-pound Pascoe can play the position adequately but he is hardly the road-grading run blocker that Hynoski is.

How good is Hynoski? Pro Football Focus recently graded the third-year fullback as having the highest "success rate" of any fullback in the league at 47.47 percent. PFF defines success rate as "collecting 40 percent of required yardage on first down, 60 percent of required yardage on second down, and 100 percent on either third or fourth down." The percentage is how often the Giants accomplished those benchmarks with Hynoski on the field. No team in the league ran more successful plays while using a fullback than the Giants did in 2012.

If the Giants want to look outside the organization to replace Hynoski what options do they have? Here are a few:" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

this really sucks but at least he'll be with us for most of the season, if not for week 1.

hopefully it's not as much of a lingering issue like with nicks last year who was cleared to play for the season opener. but then again he said it was his knee, not his foot, that hampered him more during the season.

hopefully he makes a speedy recovery because he's a key piece to our run game.

Comment

Greg Comella?

Comment

Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
        Greg Comella?
        Maurice Carthon
        "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

How about Martinek? Wasn't he a fullback? People here were high on him, but as good as he was, he was never going to beat out Hynocerous, and there was no way we'd carry two full-time fullbacks on the roster, so we cut him.

Regardless of any ramblings of myself or others on here, I trust Reese to make the best decision possible...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
            How about Martinek? Wasn't he a fullback? People here were high on him, but as good as he was, he was never going to beat out Hynocerous, and there was no way we'd carry two full-time fullbacks on the roster, so we cut him.

Regardless of any ramblings of myself or others on here, I trust Reese to make the best decision possible...
            Jersey Joe is from my hometown.. Big fan

Comment

I feel bad for the kid and certainly like his performance but he is hardly a "road grader" as the author and stats might suggest. I watch him closely, even replaying many downs and he is good, not great as a blocker. He'll be relatively easy to replace (except for his hands) since pure fullbacks are not valued highly in the league anymore.

I am not a fan of putting a TE back there as a permanent solution.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

In a perfect world Vonta leach would become a cap casualty since Baltimore drafted a fullback and we'd sign him on the cheap

Comment

jomo, u need to recheck the data. hyno is a huge cog to the success of our run game. when we ran the ball with him on the field, we were much more successful in YPC and TD/TD rate (I guess, dont recall how the article labeled it). Im not saying the O cant play at tthe same level, its just he was becoming a very integral part to the run game...

Comment

Originally posted by King Sully View Post
                    In a perfect world Vonta leach would become a cap casualty since Baltimore drafted a fullback and we'd sign him on the cheap
                    I wish...

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                      jomo, u need to recheck the data. hyno is a huge cog to the success of our run game. when we ran the ball with him on the field, we were much more successful in YPC and TD/TD rate (I guess, dont recall how the article labeled it). Im not saying the O cant play at tthe same level, its just he was becoming a very integral part to the run game...
                      Have you seen the result of our 3rd and short or 4th and short plays?

Comment

No, Bennett, no Hynoski, basically the same oline..

this should be fun

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                          http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/23...ts-bear-pascoe

Excerpt: "What will the New York Giants do at fullback with Henry Hynoski set for knee surgery on Friday, a fact that despite Hynoski's determination makes his availability at least early in the 2013 NFL season a question mark.

The obvious short-term answer is to lean on Bear Pascoe, the 27-year-old blocking tight end who has spent some time at fullback in each of the past two seasons. The 6-foot-5, 257-pound Pascoe can play the position adequately but he is hardly the road-grading run blocker that Hynoski is.

How good is Hynoski? Pro Football Focus recently graded the third-year fullback as having the highest "success rate" of any fullback in the league at 47.47 percent. PFF defines success rate as "collecting 40 percent of required yardage on first down, 60 percent of required yardage on second down, and 100 percent on either third or fourth down." The percentage is how often the Giants accomplished those benchmarks with Hynoski on the field. No team in the league ran more successful plays while using a fullback than the Giants did in 2012.

If the Giants want to look outside the organization to replace Hynoski what options do they have? Here are a few:" Read more...
                          I always thought that Wilson would be more successful without a fullback. Maybe they experiment with that?

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
                            No, Bennett, no Hynoski, basically the same oline..

this should be fun
                            Well, can't disagree with the overall theme, except we got an upgrade at TE in both phases of the game............not a big upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless. Beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Bear might be able to re-negotiate for more then vet minimum now!
                              Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Working...
                              X