The high pick double cross Flowers & Apple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
    The disappointing aspect with Apple is that he is still doing the same things (bad habits) he did in college, especially grabbing WR jerseys and not getting his head around to look for the ball. Why take a guy so high in the draft who has technique problems?
    It's like drafting a QB who can't throw a football.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
      Reese outsmarted himself with both picks. Disgrace.
      Reese is the least prepared GM going into the NFL draft every April
      He never has a backup plan or understands creative thinking

Comment

I've said this a few times already. I gave Apple somewhat of a pass being a rookie and he made major goofs. Penalties, ints going thru his hands, missed tackles. But the same mistakes never turning his head around, he can't play man coverage. Loses his man on stop and go's. Holding jerseys in the open. Dropping ints. He's not even a ball hawk where he makes the gamble and if he misses his man is wide open. Not turning around knowing where and when the ball is coming happens at least once a game. 1 on 1 with him in coverage is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Flowers I'm talked out about this guy. Both these 1st rd picks are a swing and a miss. It should be 2 positions that are strong and they're both weak. Imagine how much stronger of a team we'd be if we had 2 strong players starting instead of these 2. Even at different positions. 2 more strong starters somewhere in our starting 22 ?

Apple was a panic move no matter what anybody tells you. Flowers just seems like a total misread. other teams said he can't play Tackle in the NFL. We have nothing to replace this guy. I would switch him and Pugh and put Fluker at RT. That would be a mess also but it might be not as bad. It looks like 2 second releases on slant passes from here on in.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

It wont be Reese's last year. Better prepare yourself for it

Anyone remember Corey Webster? Had a really rough start to his career, and then the light suddenly went on in his head? Sound familiar?

Lets give Apple more than one season to get it figured out. Calling him a bust is just stupid at this point
          Remember Will Allen?
          That arguement can go both ways, he may not be labeled a bust as of yet. But he's a weak link in our secondary. And every NFL team now is exposing it on a weekly basis.

Comment

Over react much! Apple had a bad game Sunday but he's a good CB. Despite what some of you want to think he only had two PI penalties all of last year. He had the same number of total penalties last year (6) as All Pro Malcolm Butler. How can you say he hasn't learned from his mistakes when he wasn't making many mistakes? Also on both PI's calls Sunday he had his man blanketed. ****rell on the other hand was beaten badly a couple times Sunday but Wentz overthrew the receiver. It's a lot easier to teach a guy to use his hands less than it is to teach someone to not get beat by several steps.
            Flowers on the other hand sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
              Apple and Flowers, our two top 10 first rounders, both need to be benched.

Not only are they playing awful, they are also being forced to stay on the field because of the premium Reese paid to select them. Thus the double cross. Don't tell me we don't have a better option. You don't know, and I don't know, until other players replace them.

Cocrell was a solid 3rd CB for the Steelers last year, and from what I have seen this year in his limited snaps, I think it's an upgrade for him to replace Apple. Unless you enjoy the constant grabbing, PI's, and receptions allowed by Apple.

Flowers? We all know he sucks in pass protection, but his run blocking has been awful too this year. I don't know what the best new OL should be, perhaps Pugh-Jones-Richburg-Jerry-Fluker or Wheeler, but something needs to be tried to get Flowers off the field. He sucks, and will always suck.
              one of the reasons why McCarthy is so good is because he is able to maximize the talent on his team. There are games where he uses up to 20 players in one drive on one side of the ball. Granted, he does more with offense and for a number of reasons, you can't sub in and out on defense as much, but still... their philosophies could not be any more polarized. I remember one game against us McCarthy used 6 or 7 different personnel packages in one drive (9 minutes for the TD).

Apple has been on the field for every defensive snap except for two. Does that make sense?????

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post

Remember Will Allen?
                That arguement can go both ways, he may not be labeled a bust as of yet. But he's a weak link in our secondary. And every NFL team now is exposing it on a weekly basis.
                That might hold water if I said that the light was definitely going to go on for Apple. My argument was that people are, as usual, overreacting and calling him a bust after one year, and it's a dumb thing to do. Give the kid more time. CB is not exactly a simple position to play, especially with all of the bull**** rules that the NFL keeps throwing out there to ensure that receivers aren't defended and can score lots of points for the casual fans
                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

If apple could just turn his head around. just play with some confidence, when your 40 yard down field you dont need to look at the guy your guarding every second, look at the qb and watch the ball in the air
                  Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                    If apple could just turn his head around. just play with some confidence, when your 40 yard down field you dont need to look at the guy your guarding every second, look at the qb and watch the ball in the air
                    That's the way he was taught to play in college

we were supposed to "coach" it out of him

be patient and don't mind the losing while we wait for the light bulb to go on

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
                      It's like drafting a QB who can't throw a football.
                      I wouldnt be surprised if Reese would do that then explain to us how much potential he could have once they train him how to throw a football.

Imagine if Reese drafted Gurley and Tunsil instead...
                      Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by southerngirl View Post
                        Over react much! Apple had a bad game Sunday but he's a good CB. Despite what some of you want to think he only had two PI penalties all of last year. He had the same number of total penalties last year (6) as All Pro Malcolm Butler. How can you say he hasn't learned from his mistakes when he wasn't making many mistakes? Also on both PI's calls Sunday he had his man blanketed. ****rell on the other hand was beaten badly a couple times Sunday but Wentz overthrew the receiver. It's a lot easier to teach a guy to use his hands less than it is to teach someone to not get beat by several steps.
                        Flowers on the other hand sucks.
                        Let's be honest both those calls were horse **** too first one Jeffery initiated contact and Apple didn t do anything but just maintain his ground which he is allowed to do. In fact the play should have prob been offensive interference where looked at from the opposite end of the field angle.
                        second call same thing it was bogus. There was like no contact initiated by Apple it was actually moreso again the other way around.

I think both those plays were examples of a db being in perfect position and the wr trying to get separation however possible and illegally if need be. Prob more on the first one than the 2nd one.

hated both those calls especially when the next time we had the ball following the 2nd call, they called it on the offense, us, when the defensive db actually initiated contact opposed to when we were flagged the offense initiated. It was a screw job by the refs which resulted in Philly barely getting a win. Before anyone insults me go back and verify or disprove my claims with the actual footage the actual footage backs me up.

I think all in all Apple has proven to be a quality pick. Last year he had like no learning curve. And he's been alright minus last game this year.

apple is almost always in excellent position fwiw he rarely is not on top of his assignment.

Comment

Year 2 and we're declaring Apple a Bust? That is Ridiculous! That man is on a Island and asked to Cover the Best Athletes in the NFL every week. He is not getting burnt his coverage is good, it is just too good because he is a VERY Physical CB. He will learn little Veteran Tricks the more he plays as far as getting away with little Bumps and Grabs up the field. He will be fine, fans are just emotional right now with the 0-3 Start and want to label everybody a bust right now

Eli Apple is 22 years old, RELAX PEOPLE!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I wouldnt be surprised if Reese would do that then explain to us how much potential he could have once they train him how to throw a football.

Imagine if Reese drafted Gurley and Tunsil instead...
                            GM sees things 99.9% of the people don't. That's what makes him so special, just to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Barneygum View Post
                              Reese has hit on two studs in the draft in ten yrs...odell and collins. Flowers is his worst pick ever and Apple was a reach but I still think he can be good if he cleans up his technique but definitely not worth the spot he was picked. This is Reese's last year...it has to be.
                              I have a sick feeling that his bad technique(grabbing) is what is allowing him to be with the receiver, otherwise he gets burned.

Either he holds, gets penalized or he gets burned.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post

Let's be honest both those calls were horse **** too first one Jeffery initiated contact and Apple didn t do anything but just maintain his ground which he is allowed to do. In fact the play should have prob been offensive interference where looked at from the opposite end of the field angle.
                                second call same thing it was bogus. There was like no contact initiated by Apple it was actually moreso again the other way around.

I think both those plays were examples of a db being in perfect position and the wr trying to get separation however possible and illegally if need be. Prob more on the first one than the 2nd one.

hated both those calls especially when the next time we had the ball following the 2nd call, they called it on the offense, us, when the defensive db actually initiated contact opposed to when we were flagged the offense initiated. It was a screw job by the refs which resulted in Philly barely getting a win. Before anyone insults me go back and verify or disprove my claims with the actual footage the actual footage backs me up.

I think all in all Apple has proven to be a quality pick. Last year he had like no learning curve. And he's been alright minus last game this year.

apple is almost always in excellent position fwiw he rarely is not on top of his assignment.
                                This is true, the refs were clearly biased. on offense they called offensive pi on Odell when the db clearly initiated the contact first.

Comment

Working...
                                X