Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do the Giants do with their over payed MIA pass rushers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So what do the Giants do with their over payed MIA pass rushers?

    I never thought bringing back JPP was a good idea or signing Vernon to his massive contract. Reese has screwed this team over for the next few years with these massive signings. Snacks and Jenkins were worth it. Does anyone think trading both JPP and Vernon is a good idea? Or at least one of them? The O line has to be fixed, the team needs linebackers and OBJ will get a huge contract.

    They cannot fix these areas with the amount of money being paid to JPP and Vernon. They do not generate a consistent pass even when they are on the field together. I think it's time to start dumping the dead weight.

  • #2
    Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
    I never thought bringing back JPP was a good idea or signing Vernon to his massive contract. Reese has screwed this team over for the next few years with these massive signings. Snacks and Jenkins were worth it. Does anyone think trading both JPP and Vernon is a good idea? Or at least one of them? The O line has to be fixed, the team needs linebackers and OBJ will get a huge contract.

    They cannot fix these areas with the amount of money being paid to JPP and Vernon. They do not generate a consistent pass even when they are on the field together. I think it's time to start dumping the dead weight.
    Vernon was playing great until his ankle

    Comment


    • #3
      Vernon has been outstanding idk what you mean and JPP yes after the preseason he had I have been disappointed with him thus far in the regular season but they are both elite DEs they're not going anywhere

      snacks hasn't been close to the player he was for us last season i think he's missing big hank

      Collins and Apple are not even close to what they were last season

      There's plenty of blame to go around on the D i think Vernon and JPP are least of worries

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree re. JPP. I never thought it was a food idea to resign him.

        Vernon has played well tho. I disagree with u there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AK_91207 View Post
          Vernon has been outstanding idk what you mean and JPP yes after the preseason he had I have been disappointed with him thus far in the regular season but they are both elite DEs they're not going anywhere

          snacks hasn't been close to the player he was for us last season i think he's missing big hank

          Collins and Apple are not even close to what they were last season

          There's plenty of blame to go around on the D i think Vernon and JPP are least of worries
          Collins was in the discussion for defensive player of the year last year, this season he looks more like his rookie self.
          I don't know if the Giants put more on his shoulders and he's over thinking instead of reacting. Could it be playing next to Thompson and he doesn't trust him to be able to do his responsibilities, so he's trying to cover for him. Who knows, point is he looks like a shell of himself.
          JPP looks beat, he looked great this preseason and now reverted to a average player. He has had many opportunities to step up and beat his guy, he has been single blocked all year. No excuses, if you see yourself as the best you have to beat being single blocked.
          I think Vernon has been solid, guy can't catch a break with injuries though, doesn't miss a game in a Miami, comes here gets injured two years in a row.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by primetime View Post

            Collins was in the discussion for defensive player of the year last year, this season he looks more like his rookie self.
            I don't know if the Giants put more on his shoulders and he's over thinking instead of reacting. Could it be playing next to Thompson and he doesn't trust him to be able to do his responsibilities, so he's trying to cover for him. Who knows, point is he looks like a shell of himself.
            JPP looks beat, he looked great this preseason and now reverted to a average player. He has had many opportunities to step up and beat his guy, he has been single blocked all year. No excuses, if you see yourself as the best you have to beat being single blocked.
            I think Vernon has been solid, guy can't catch a break with injuries though, doesn't miss a game in a Miami, comes here gets injured two years in a row.
            In regards to Collins I agree that he's not comfortable playing next to Thompson yet. He also seems to be in man to man coverage alot this season compared to last . I don't know if it is schemed that way or there are breakdowns but it is not a good look either way.

            to me the middle of the d line has been horrifying compared to last

            but yeah Collins man he was top 3 safety in NFL last season. so disappointing

            Comment


            • #7
              After the giants bye week last year (when vernons hand had a chance to heal) up until week 2 this year vernon was tied for the league lead in sacks.. so there's that.

              Comment


              • #8
                There is nothing the Giants can do, short of trading either, before the end of next season. The hit they would take to the cap cutting either before the end of next year would be too big.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PuckersMcColon View Post
                  There is nothing the Giants can do, short of trading either, before the end of next season. The hit they would take to the cap cutting either before the end of next year would be too big.
                  Agreed, this is pretty much the situation for most of the team with the way the salaries have been structured under the cap. They put a lot of chips into the pot to compete for this year and next. Unfortunately they bet those chips on some bad cards.
                  All Hail The New York Giants!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Eli Manning is making $19.7m this season with $32.1m dead money. He makes $22.2m in 2018 and $23.1m in 2019.

                    And he cant throw a short slant without killing our WRs.

                    Crazy....

                    But yeah, when you consistantly miss on draft picks, you need to overpay for FAs. This is what happens. Vernon and JPP got overpaid. This is the team built by a terrible GM.
                    Jerry Reese is burying this team in a premature grave

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                      Eli Manning is making $19.7m this season with $32.1m dead money. He makes $22.2m in 2018 and $23.1m in 2019.

                      And he cant throw a short slant without killing our WRs.

                      Crazy....

                      But yeah, when you consistantly miss on draft picks, you need to overpay for FAs. This is what happens. Vernon and JPP got overpaid. This is the team built by a terrible GM.
                      Yes it is. No good team has ever been built through FA.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They need to start making plans to get their cap cleared up. I donít know when the most money friendly time is to dump all of these contracts but I would make plans to ditch every veteran on the current roster whenever the dollars make sense. We are headed for a very long rebuild and need to be able to pay the draft picks that manage to turn themselves into great players. Furthermore the cap needs to be clear so that FAs can be added strategically in the future ...rather than trying to build half the roster with them

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          JPP and OV get alot of respect from the talking heads(commentators), BUT I don't necessarily see lots of great play out of them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post
                            JPP and OV get alot of respect from the talking heads(commentators), BUT I don't necessarily see lots of great play out of them.
                            And this is exactly the point I was trying to make. They are good, don't get me wrong, but not as good as advertised. There are times in games where they are completely invisible in terms of pressure. This team has to start shedding money. The Eagles found their young QB and didn't go through a painful rebuilding process to get where they are now.

                            I think Webb should play the last 5 games of the season just to get his feet wet. It may be ugly, but it will help his development. Fire Reese and McAdoo, hire a competent GM, and this doesn't have to get ugly over the next 2-3 seasons. But for now, they have to get out of the foreseeable cap hell that's coming. There are teams that have the cap space to pick up JPP and Vernon's remaining salaries.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't know what some of you are watching. OV has been great here with the Giants. He's a great DE. JPP is an issue. Not sure what you can do with him other than hope he plays better next year. No one will trade for him and I think the cap hit next year is too big to cut him.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X