Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem with our Giants as I, Pathas, see it (fwiw)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with our Giants as I, Pathas, see it (fwiw)

When Brad Stevens, then coach at Butler University (a tiny private Midwest school and my alma mater), was asked how Butler's basketball program arrived at the point where the team could consistently compete at the upper levels of college basketball year after year he said, and here is my loose quote, " ... to achieve what we did (2 NCAA championship games and a brilliant post season record) everyone in the building has to be moving in the same direction..."

That has not been the case for the NYFG beginning with the "Tom Coughlin One Year Contract Era" leading up to his "resignation". Since then, Team Giants has more closely resembled our nation's congress than a football organization - chocked full of conflict and inconsistency from administration to management to play on the field. The TC decision (embodied by the intrinsic conflict between "firing" and "resigning") and the way it was childishly handled by the owners began the super fracture of this organization at every level.

First: there were those who thought TC should retire with Eli and at that time move up in the organizational ranks - then there were those who thought TC outlived his usefulness to the organization and should have been given the boot years before - conflict. (2) There were those who thought it was inconsistent to hire a member of TC's coaching staff as HC when the stated goal was a new direction - then there were those who thought it was a great hire because of Eli's "renaissance" under McAdoo's offensive schemes - conflict. (3) Spagnolo is hired - a nod to the old regime and then TC is fired - a big "screw you" to the old regime - inconsistency. (4) Spagnolo is then ignored in the hiring process and McAdoo is promoted to the position solely for the reason that the weak minded owners were afraid he'd be hired by someone else - inconsistency - conflict. (5) The owners have to agree about critical football decisions - what happens when they don't? - inconsistency - conflict. (6) Players like Apple and Flowers are starters solely because they were selected by a GM who is afraid of losing his job. This causes resentment among the players and disagreement among the coaches - conflict. (7) Free Agents are signed by a GM who is afraid of losing his job. This results in overpaying for short term gain as opposed to leveraging assets for long term strategic planning - conflict. (8) There are those who think the Giants have an extremely talented young roster and those who see it as an aging house of cards - conflict. (9) McAdoo acts like an Offensive Coordinator during the games (and I assume - at practice) and yet, more likely than not, he is forcing decisions of upper management regarding players onto the defensive coaches (see Apple/DRC) - conflict. (10) Consequence - DRC sees his situation in an entirely different way than the HC - inconsistency - conflict. Both Bud Light and Miller Lite are served at met life Stadium but only Pepsi products - inconsistency.

Just as they did with TC in the years leading up to his "resignation" - since then, the two owners have hung Reese out to dry with their double secret probation because they didn't have the balls to make an adult decision and fire him three years ago. I won't elaborate on the inherent and historical conflict between the owners themselves, one of whom holds his shares because of childish interfamilial spite.

The bottom line: With the recent history of the organization as I've outlined above, how in the world can we have any confidence that these two owners can get "everyone in the building moving in the same direction.." ??? They would have to find the right GM, someone strong enough to keep them out of the process. Unfortunately, the outlook for that is bleak.

To all those who have made it this far (sorry) - we are entering the dark ages of Giants Football. The SB victories - icons of the past. Welcome back to the Gary Wood/Joe Pisarcik Era once Eli escapes.

As for me - I will continue to hope for the rehiring of Tom Coughlin (he said he will always be a Giant) as the president of football operations. Let the pretender, John Mara, go back to his general counsel position or whatever he then chooses, like doling out PSL's at met life Stadium for $10,000 to keep out the rifraf. I have the utmost confidence that Coughlin would find a great GM and talent evaluator who he can work with in hiring a new HC. But, our dollar driven excuse for ownership would have to swallow their pride to get that done - so it will probably never happen. Thanks for reading this - just my observations and opinions.

Love it!... spot on and couldn't have been better said in a more rational and diplomatic way or analyzed more thoroughly... IMO.

Comment

thanks- it took me 4 hours to write it. but I feel better for it

Comment

4 HOURS!!..... so it was you who wrote the restaurant menu of plays for Macadoodoo.....

Comment

Yo that's some really good stuff in there Pathas! Made sense and the theme was on point! Brad Stevens is a cool *** dude too. I've had the pleasure of working with him a few times and was always amazed at how centered, kind and humbled he was. What he did for the Butler organization is nothing short of miraculous. What years were you at Butler? My uncle played football there in the early 70's, Ephraim Smiley.

Comment

nah - I'm not big on set plays. Just let the guys in the huddle figure out what they need to do. works better that way.

Comment

79 - so I missed him. Stevens did a lot but the real architect of it all was Barry Collier, the AD.

Comment

I've recently learned a lot about him as well. We're actually in the process of trying to pitch a show to TNT about the Butler way and their tournament runs. Collier was a big mention from all the previous basketball coaches that we interviewed. That campus is growing like crazy too. You'd be hard pressed to find people who havent heard of Butler now. They might not know where it is but they've heard of it.

Comment

Collier could manage the Giants better than Mara and Reese - and Stevens would prob be a better coach. lol.

Comment

Well stated.

How scary would it be if they fire McAdoo at season's end only to keep Reese and promote Spags to HC?

A very likely scenario.

Comment

I think you really nailed things in those first 3 paragraphs. I have wanted to make a similar post for a while

Comment

Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post
                        Well stated.

How scary would it be if they fire McAdoo at season's end only to keep Reese and promote Spags to HC?

A very likely scenario.
                        If that happens, no one should buy a single ticket next year.

Oh, and great thread! Great job Pathas.
                        So this is what dying looks like

Comment

thanks for appreciating this post -

Comment

Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post
                            Well stated.

A very likely scenario.
                            Let me offer this up as an opinion - Players would rally around Spagnolo and they just might elevate their game out of respect for him-so maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Surely not as bad as the present situation where I believe players merely tolerate McAdoo as HC (because of the record last year) but don't really respect him as a football guy. Just an opinion based on my past and present observations of human inter-reaction in work environments.

Comment

I'd actually like to see Spagnuolo get another shot as a HC, and I'd like that to be with the Giants. I'd trust him over McAdoo, as long as his relationship hasn't been spoiled beyond repair with the players, if it has then unfortunately they need a entirely clean slate which means Spags needs to go as well. I do get the feeling that McAdoo is trying to push his will and vision onto the defensive side of the ball a bit. I wonder if his ego doesn't like that the majority of fans and media once again are saying that it was Spags' system who carried the team to success? Probably not, but it's a thought I've had.

Comment

Working...
                              X