Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reason why Webb should be tested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reason why Webb should be tested

    (Please excuse the long post. It's my first time)
    Hello fellow disgruntled Giants Fans! I have been a fan of the NY Giants since 2004, when the Coughlin/Manning era first started. I personally feel we are now on the dawn of a new era for Big Blue.


    Who will lead this team into a bright, successful future? We do not yet know. But I feel if the right decisions are made this off-season, we can have a successful turn-around from this dreadful display of professional football we see this year, to a glorious future, in only a couple of years. (For example, the hated Eagles now look like serious contenders after making front office changes just two years ago. It is possible to build success quickly).


    I personally wish our GM and Head coach are changed this offseason. But who knows if Mara/Tisch will do that. However, no matter how the front office looks, I feel at least this one thing NEEDS to be looked into before next year...this team needs to see what they have in Davis Webb.


    Does that mean I feel he should start the rest of the season? Not necessarily. He could play in the 4th quarter of games, get more practice time during the week, etc. But the team needs to see if he can be the QB of the future or not.


    I have seen this topic discussed previously, with many for and against the idea. To demonstrate why I feel testing Davis Webb is a good idea, below I have 3 draft day scenarios that could occur depending on the situation with Webb.


    The first scenario is if we need to find a new QB. The second scenario is if Webb is the future and the team can trade back their top 3 pick for more picks. I used this website to estimate the value of the draft picks. http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php (I know, trading picks does not appear likely by this team, but anything can happen. These are just what-if scenarios).


    Also, I am not a college football fan, so I am not familiar with all the prospects. So I used an online draft prospect ranking chart to see where prospects are projected to be picked. ( http://www.drafttek.com/m/Top-100-NF...pects-2018.asp ) Probably not completely accurate, but I just wanted a baseline to use to see what players would probably be available when.

    Without further discussion, here are my scenarios. (We have the 3rd overall pick in my scenarios).


    Scenario 1:
    RD1: QB Josh Rosen (or other QB you prefer)
    RD2: OT Jamarco Jones
    RD3: RB Kalen Ballage (also a returner)
    RD4: CB Quentin Meeks
    RD5: LB Dorian O'Daniels

    Scenario 1: For me, if we need a QB, it appears this draft is a good time to get one. And having a top 5 pick is helpful too. But that does limit the other areas we can improve. Especially o-line, where we can only get one solid one in the first two rounds.



    Scenario 2: (trade back in the first round to a team that wants a QB. Other team gives 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks for our 1st. They are still in the top 10 probably 7 or 8.)
    RD1: OT Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams
    RD2a: OG Tyrone Crowder
    RD2b: RB Ronald Jones II or Royce Freeman
    RD3a: DE Jaylon Ferguson
    RD3b: WR DJ Chark (returner)
    RD4: CB Quentin Meeks
    RD5: LB Dorian O'Daniels

    Scenario 2: with Webb being the future, this team can focus on fixing holes on the team, especially offensive line! We can get two solid rookie offensive linemen in this scenario.


    Just comparing these scenarios demonstrates to me we need to see if Webb can lead this team in the future. If he can, then it makes building a successful team easier this offseason.


    **Now you can all let your good, bad, and ugly replies fly!**

  • #2
    I think that it can't hurt to get Webb some snaps this season at this point.

    However, he is a third round project. It is unlikely that we will be able to get a definitive answer this year on whether or not he is the "future". So I don't think that we can base a very important draft decision on whatever you see (or don't see) from Webb this year. If there is a franchise QB available, you take him and deal with Webb later.
    Last edited by TCHOF; 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Giants need an entire new Oline. Figure out how to make that happen. Until that is accomplished, skill players are a waste of $s.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
        I think that it can't hurt to get Webb some snaps this season at this point.

        However, he is a third round project. It is unlikely that we will be able to get a definitive answer this year on whether or not he is the "future". So I don't think that we can base a very important draft decision on whatever you see (or don't see) from Webb this year. If there is a franchise QB available, you take him and deal with Webb later.
        At first, I totally felt the same as you do. However, after seeing the draft capital that can be obtained by sticking with Webb, I felt the alternative should at least be explored.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post

          At first, I totally felt the same as you do. However, after seeing the draft capital that can be obtained by sticking with Webb, I felt the alternative should at least be explored.
          As I said, I would be fine with playing him.

          I would not be fine on making HUGE draft decisions (this draft could shape the future of this franchise for the next 5-15 years) based upon what you see from Webb this year -- his first season after admittedly being drafted as a project.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
            Giants need an entire new Oline. Figure out how to make that happen. Until that is accomplished, skill players are a waste of $s.
            +100
            i recently looked at the FA o-linemen available for 2018, and unfortunately, it appears weaker than this past offseason. That is one of the reasons why I explored trading back for more draft picks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Giants should have stepped up for Whitworth and before him Richie Incognito.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                Giants should have stepped up for Whitworth and before him Richie Incognito.
                Again, totally agree with you. Too bad Reese did not seem to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This Oline is talentless, completely soft, has NO leader and does not play through the whistle.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                    This Oline is talentless, completely soft, has NO leader and does not play through the whistle.
                    PennState1: I am curious to get your opinion on some of the younger, new olinemen recently drafted.

                    Chad Wheeler has my attention, especially after this article in Sept. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3509918
                    maybe we already have some replacements to this online on the team. (For the future of course)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My opinion is that it's past the time to put these young guys in so we can see what we have, see what kind of attitude they bring and give them some experience. It would send the right message and how much worse could it really get anyway?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                        My opinion is that it's past the time to put these young guys in so we can see what we have, attitude and give them some experience. It would send the right message and how much worse could it really get anyway?
                        Do you have enough free time to be our team's interim head coach for the rest of the year? we could use your common sense to help this team

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post

                          Do you have enough free time to be our team's interim head coach for the rest of the year? we could use your common sense to help this team
                          Flattered, but I'm just a guy who loves football, the Giants franchise and I have watched more football than I should ever admit! Having said that, common sense can go a long way once you are willing to put your ego in the closet.

                          I can tell you one thing I wouldn't do as an NFL head coach...hide behind a diner menu! The team should take on the personality of its head coach. Ours has NO personality at all and if you are staring at a menu the size of a billboard, how can you connect with and motivate your players?

                          Great head coaches also surround themselves with high quality, talented and motivated coordinators and position coaches. They know how to build and lead men and teams.
                          Last edited by PennState1; 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think it's most important to keep Eli's consecutive games played streak alive. Who cares about preparing for the future???

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
                              I think it's most important to keep Eli's consecutive games played streak alive. Who cares about preparing for the future???
                              that is why I suggested Webb only play the 4th quarter of games.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X