Reason why Webb should be tested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
    My opinion is that it's past the time to put these young guys in so we can see what we have, see what kind of attitude they bring and give them some experience. It would send the right message and how much worse could it really get anyway?
    I agree 100%. But coach menu is not going to do that.

I did notice that the menu sized is significantly reduced the past few weeks. But he still does not appear to see things he needs to see.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post
      (Please excuse the long post. It's my first time)
      Hello fellow disgruntled Giants Fans! I have been a fan of the NY Giants since 2004, when the Coughlin/Manning era first started. I personally feel we are now on the dawn of a new era for Big Blue.

Who will lead this team into a bright, successful future? We do not yet know. But I feel if the right decisions are made this off-season, we can have a successful turn-around from this dreadful display of professional football we see this year, to a glorious future, in only a couple of years. (For example, the hated Eagles now look like serious contenders after making front office changes just two years ago. It is possible to build success quickly).

I personally wish our GM and Head coach are changed this offseason. But who knows if Mara/Tisch will do that. However, no matter how the front office looks, I feel at least this one thing NEEDS to be looked into before next year...this team needs to see what they have in Davis Webb.

Does that mean I feel he should start the rest of the season? Not necessarily. He could play in the 4th quarter of games, get more practice time during the week, etc. But the team needs to see if he can be the QB of the future or not.

I have seen this topic discussed previously, with many for and against the idea. To demonstrate why I feel testing Davis Webb is a good idea, below I have 3 draft day scenarios that could occur depending on the situation with Webb.

The first scenario is if we need to find a new QB. The second scenario is if Webb is the future and the team can trade back their top 3 pick for more picks. I used this website to estimate the value of the draft picks. http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php (I know, trading picks does not appear likely by this team, but anything can happen. These are just what-if scenarios).

Also, I am not a college football fan, so I am not familiar with all the prospects. So I used an online draft prospect ranking chart to see where prospects are projected to be picked. ( http://www.drafttek.com/m/Top-100-NF...pects-2018.asp ) Probably not completely accurate, but I just wanted a baseline to use to see what players would probably be available when.

Without further discussion, here are my scenarios. (We have the 3rd overall pick in my scenarios).

Scenario 1:
      RD1: QB Josh Rosen (or other QB you prefer)
      RD2: OT Jamarco Jones
      RD3: RB Kalen Ballage (also a returner)
      RD4: CB Quentin Meeks
      RD5: LB Dorian O'Daniels

Scenario 1: For me, if we need a QB, it appears this draft is a good time to get one. And having a top 5 pick is helpful too. But that does limit the other areas we can improve. Especially o-line, where we can only get one solid one in the first two rounds.

Scenario 2: (trade back in the first round to a team that wants a QB. Other team gives 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks for our 1st. They are still in the top 10 probably 7 or 8.)
      RD1: OT Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams
      RD2a: OG Tyrone Crowder
      RD2b: RB Ronald Jones II or Royce Freeman
      RD3a: DE Jaylon Ferguson
      RD3b: WR DJ Chark (returner)
      RD4: CB Quentin Meeks
      RD5: LB Dorian O'Daniels

Scenario 2: with Webb being the future, this team can focus on fixing holes on the team, especially offensive line! We can get two solid rookie offensive linemen in this scenario.

Just comparing these scenarios demonstrates to me we need to see if Webb can lead this team in the future. If he can, then it makes building a successful team easier this offseason.

**Now you can all let your good, bad, and ugly replies fly!**
      Scenario #2, as well as a new GM & coach.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue:TNG View Post
        (Please excuse the long post. It's my first time)

I have seen this topic discussed previously, with many for and against the idea. To demonstrate why I feel testing Davis Webb is a good idea, below I have 3 draft day scenarios that could occur depending on the situation with Webb.

**Now you can all let your good, bad, and ugly replies fly!**
        Am I crazy, but I feel like I'm only seeing two scenarios?

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

I agree 100%. But coach menu is not going to do that.

I did notice that the menu sized is significantly reduced the past few weeks. But he still does not appear to see things he needs to see.
          Maybe he's going the In-n-Out or Starbucks route and going with the Secret Menu

Comment

Originally posted by NetSymptom View Post

Am I crazy, but I feel like I'm only seeing two scenarios?
            You are right. There were 3 scenarios before but I edited it to 2. I guess I missed changing that. Nice catch

I take it as a compliment that you found that error. That means you read the whole post, even though it was long. Thanks!

Comment

I don't love the idea of playing Webb this season. What's the point of setting him up to struggle in his rookie year? We need to remember this guy is not some top prospect. He was a mid rounds guy who was a project. He played in a spread offense in college and needs at least a full year practicing and studying the pro game. Why is throwing him in behind a swiss cheese line and with receivers from off the street a good idea?

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave Brown;n2984228Why is throwing him in behind a swiss cheese line and with receivers from off the street a good idea?[/QUOTE]

Its not.

Comment

I mean it wont happen and it could be a terrible experience for the kid for so many reasons, but hell it could be the best possible learning situation at the same time/or the worst. No real recieving threat at this point, no oline, and a running game that had one decent game (last week). I mean hell if you can play with that set up, you can play anywhere. It's just not gonna happen and probably wouldn't be the smartest decisioin in the world, as you could really break in some bad habits with a young guy with no real experience and just throwing him into this **** show. Besides Eli is paid big money to play, so he'll play.
                  sigpic

Comment

the fact that this webb guy has not suited up for a game yet is mind blowing... we need to see if he has potential to be our guy going forward. im not saying start him going forward, but we are 0-5 without the best player on our team (odell)

side note... i would argue gallman has looked the best of all of our RBs, so why in the world did he not even suit up for the first 3 games?? INEXCUSIBLE. someone has to be accountable for these things
                    Giants fan since 1992
                    Season Ticket Holder Since 2014 (Section 148)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
                      I don't love the idea of playing Webb this season. What's the point of setting him up to struggle in his rookie year? We need to remember this guy is not some top prospect. He was a mid rounds guy who was a project. He played in a spread offense in college and needs at least a full year practicing and studying the pro game. Why is throwing him in behind a swiss cheese line and with receivers from off the street a good idea?
                      Good point. I guess the best idea is to draft another QB and let him and Webb fight it out for starting duties once Eli leaves. (Like Denver did)

Comment

Originally posted by WhereTrelAt View Post
                        side note... i would argue gallman has looked the best of all of our RBs, so why in the world did he not even suit up for the first 3 games?? INEXCUSIBLE. someone has to be accountable for these things
                        In Gallman's case, I think he is one of those guys that cannot pass the written test...but when the "bullets are flying" he steps up and wins. Maybe in practice he is missing assignments so they do not believe he is ready to play come game time.

These past couple weeks should change that viewpoint...should

Comment

Usually the reason rookie RBs don't start is that they need to improve in pass protection. Given the Giants poor pass pro to begin with this is probably the reason.

Comment

Well if he could succeed under these circumstances then I say he's a keeper. So, it's worth playing him. He needs to see another first team defense in a real game sometime and will need to learn to take hits and have a short memory. I wouldn't necessarily just start him, although they could, but give him time late in games or if they make a switch wait until the final 5-6 games. It's still Eli's job for another month no matter what barring injury

Comment

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                              Usually the reason rookie RBs don't start is that they need to improve in pass protection. Given the Giants poor pass pro to begin with this is probably the reason.
                              Yeah, that is what I thought too. Eli has high importance on pass protection from his RBs

Comment

Originally posted by WhereTrelAt View Post
                                the fact that this webb guy has not suited up for a game yet is mind blowing... we need to see if he has potential to be our guy going forward. im not saying start him going forward, but we are 0-5 without the best player on our team (odell)

You are completely wrong on the Webb point

Comment

Working...
                                X