Eli Manning voted 'most overrated' QB in NFL player poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...atistics/2016/

wouldn't you know it? Last year eli was 8th. And all those qb that often get cited by those claiming to know everything (while almost always getting everything wrong fwiw) actually were much much worse.

hmm eli had more YAC success than Brady and Ben and wentz and etc etc etc hmmm? Odd. And that was 2016 a year most felt was one of eli worst.

hmmm odd.

and wouldn't you know it in 2015 he was 5th!

now I know the automatic response without thought will be "well he has odb" yup we know that guess what so do defenses he was bracketed religiously which means getting a bracketed wr yac requires MORE touch and accuracy not less.

ODD tho isn't it? It's almost as if there's all sorts of data completely contradicting claims made by some...over and over. It's almost as if some.have absolutely zero basis for the claims other than its what they think so therefore since they are genius hear me roar their thoughts are more than enough evidence. Which is why countering baseless comments with actual merit is always seen ad an affront or an attack. Nevermind it's in the wake of said person actually insulting and attacking.

just odd tho isn t it?!?

edit- nah seriously its dang impressive eli is as accurate and among the more accurate q.v. playing with how he is always among the best at giving his receivers a chance at yac. The reason why is accuracy is directly tied to footwork. Footwork is directly tied to the pocket.

seeing as we have seen eli with a clean pocket about as much as a unicorn having coffee with a monkey, i would argue his ability to throw accurate passes with no base or foundation is 1 of the reasons he is not OVERRATED but under.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 10-19-2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbrother View Post
      When compared to the talent that's out there Manning is one of the better QB's. I do think that the newer crop of QB's are beginning to overtake him and soon we will see QB's like (hate to say it) Philly's Wentz playing better than Manning.
      I think he might be "historically" over-rated, I guess. He has had a great career, a HOF QB in my eyes... but I think the argument of if he was "Elite" or not has to be what caused this high vote. No one really talks about those other QB's as Elite... so maybe that's why Manning is overrated? I don't know. I don't think this means that people think he's a bad QB.

Check out the Tailgates of Hell, the NFC East Podcast for the Common Man on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
        Does durability count in the overrated poll, especially for a guy with no mobility?

Overrated no, underappreciated yes.
        His durability and ability to play through pain is astounding and something I will never question. That will be the biggest thing we will miss when we move on. Just look at guys like Luck and Mariota and Winston and Rodgers and Stafford and Carr.... None of them can stay on the field. And it is highly likely the next QB we have will not be able to stay on the field as much as Eli either which makes our backup QB that much more important. That is what makes Eli special and it is his strongest attribute.
        Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

He's an overrated QB who has the most comeback wins in the 4th qtr. since 2004, the one who has started 205 straight games, the one who holds the NFL record for most passing yards in a post season, the one with the most road wins in post season history, the one with 2 Super Bowl MVP awards, the one with the 6th most passing yards and TD's in NFL history, yea, he sounds overrated!!! Throw in the fact that other than a stretch from 2007-2010 has played behind a poor OL, and no run game!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TailgatesofOH View Post

I think he might be "historically" over-rated, I guess. He has had a great career, a HOF QB in my eyes... but I think the argument of if he was "Elite" or not has to be what caused this high vote. No one really talks about those other QB's as Elite... so maybe that's why Manning is overrated? I don't know. I don't think this means that people think he's a bad QB.

Check out the Tailgates of Hell, the NFC East Podcast for the Common Man on iTunes!
            The thing is that the masses imo (experts, analyst, die hard football fans) never really viewed Eli as an elite qb except for maybe 2011. I said earlier in this thread that ​​​​​​being Peyton's little brother doesn't help him either since he's not as talented.

Comment

Well nobody is calling Eli The Greatest or anything like that so no he is not overrated. He is/was a good but very inconsistent QB his entire career. He is Jim Plunkett 2.0 basically, who also won 2 Super Bowls but not a Hall Of Famer because he was inconsistent and had a ton of career INT's

For the rest of his career he need to play like he played on Monday! Game Manager, limited to only throwing 20-25 times a game

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post
                Well nobody is calling Eli The Greatest or anything like that so no he is not overrated. He is/was a good but very inconsistent QB his entire career. He is Jim Plunkett 2.0 basically, who also won 2 Super Bowls but not a Hall Of Famer because he was inconsistent and had a ton of career INT's

For the rest of his career he need to play like he played on Monday! Game Manager, limited to only throwing 20-25 times a game
                Plunkett 2.0?? That's a negative. Plunkett wasn't even the day one starter in both Super Bowl Seasons and iirc he has more picks than tds in his career. Also there are HOF qbs that have thrown a lot of picks too and have a higher int % than Eli. The 2 MVPs is probably the main reason why Eli gets in. Only 4 other qbs have multiple Supe MVPs in the history of the NFL.

Comment

So, he is limited in mobility and speed outside the pocket and needs a solid O line to have a great performance. He beat Rodgers twice in the playoffs at GB under extreme weather conditions. Tell me what other NFL QB has done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko View Post

I'm curious...do you think the plan is to make him a game manager for every game, or was that a specific game plan against a team with very stout passing D?
                    Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post

Agreed 100%. I live amongst a bunch of fans of other NFL teams and they say the same thing about him. They do not think that he is all that, but they still fear him in the clutch. We havent seen "clutch" Eli in years IMO. I totally remember that guy. He could stink the entire game and then pull it out in the 4th quarter.
                      Exactly. I know around the league he's thought of as being very lucky due to the circumstances of our winning, but at the same time it's that uncanny ability to get "lucky" that is why no one can sleep on him.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                        Exhibit a

he was tied for most gw drives last year.

so I'm proposing this as an actual question (OK shoot me it's rhetorical) : if someone is trying to appear as an authority on what eli manning is as a qb "and how he knows how others view him bc he lives with a bunch of fans of another team (whatevertf that means in regards to the topic its just another logical fallacy)...but then in the very same breath claims he hasn't seen the clutch eli in years and this year he is to the back of the qb play, when actual reality contradicts said claims. Irrefutably.
                        what does that mean in terms of the value or worth of the person's pov concerning eli?

imo it kind of means disqualify it immediately based upon no actual reality or logic. If someone says they haven't seen eli be clutch in years and that's what he was known for so since he doesn't do it anymore he's not very good, and the ACTUAL evidence contradicts that in complete full, it sort of tells me the person doesn't know what they are talking about regardless of how badly they try convincing others of the opposite.
                        You left out the "thls is dust my pov anb i dont intenp 4 it t0 b3 disr3sp3ctfuL" inspector.

22268c34cd3d59eaa94ad4eeb97d02dc.jpg

Comment

A debate is an attempt to keep an actual open mind regarding someone else's points and refuting them with logic and counter points.

may be you just chose a horribly inaccurate word.

maybe more accurately put it should read "you and I have been here long enough to tell everyone what they should think and who eli actually is. The fact some choose not to agree with us means its gonna be ridiculous bc others are just going to post how they view eli and will be oblivious to the point if there pov differs than ours they are wrong and homer nut job fanatics."

I think that would have been much MUCH more accurate but hey just my 2 cents.
                          Don't sell yourself short 420. You have always left us more than just 2 cents.

I would say you usually leave about $1.29 in pennies with every post.

Comment

Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

I'm curious...do you think the plan is to make him a game manager for every game, or was that a specific game plan against a team with very stout passing D?
                            I know the original plan was to have the Giants play whatever style of offense was needed against a given opponent, but that clearly did not work.

I think we might be seeing more of what we just saw in an effort to allow the Giants offense to establish itself, and then take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

I know the original plan was to have the Giants play whatever style of offense was needed against a given opponent, but that clearly did not work.

I think we might be seeing more of what we just saw in an effort to allow the Giants offense to establish itself, and then take it from there.
                              Boy...I would be way OK with what we saw if it got us wins. And I am more convinced that Sullivan would call the game that way than I am in BM.
                              Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

A debate is an attempt to keep an actual open mind regarding someone else's points and refuting them with logic and counter points.

may be you just chose a horribly inaccurate word.

maybe more accurately put it should read "you and I have been here long enough to tell everyone what they should think and who eli actually is. The fact some choose not to agree with us means its gonna be ridiculous bc others are just going to post how they view eli and will be oblivious to the point if there pov differs than ours they are wrong and homer nut job fanatics."

I think that would have been much MUCH more accurate but hey just my 2 cents.
                                His point and mine is......it's just another meaningless list.
                                I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Working...
                                X