Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Ben McAdoo isn't planning to play rookie QB Davis Webb this season

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "It's one of the few areas of intrigue remaining for a Giants' season that has inconceivably ended before reaching the halfway mark: Will the team give rookie quarterback Davis Webb an opportunity to play in the final nine games?

Giants coach Ben McAdoo initially sidestepped the question when it was asked during his Monday teleconference.

"Again, it takes all 11 to play good on offense," McAdoo said a day after the Giants dropped to 1-6 with a 24-7 loss to the Seahawks. "We had a good week of practice last week. It didn't transfer over to the ball game, only scoring seven points. But it takes all 11."

It was clarified that the question wasn't related to poor play by quarterback Eli Manning on Sunday behind a leaky offensive line with a receiving corps that is full of borderline NFL talent. Instead, it's a bigger picture question: Wouldn't the organization want to get a look at Webb, who was selected in the third round, before potentially being in position to draft a quarterback early in next year's draft?

"I'll refer back to my last answer," McAdoo said, referencing his previous non-answer." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

And he's a fool
    Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Comment

There is no downside in playing Webb.

Comment

at least they had a good week of practice....

"Again, it takes all 11 to play good on offense," McAdoo said a day after the Giants dropped to 1-6 with a 24-7 loss to the Seahawks. "We had a good week of practice last week. It didn't transfer over to the ball game, only scoring seven points. But it takes all 11."

Comment

Originally posted by Redeyejedi View Post
          There is no downside in playing Webb.
          I disagree. You're setting a young kid that has barely stepped foot into the league to fail. You're giving him no wide receivers, no offensive line, and no running game to lean on. You're putting him in a situation where he is completely doomed. You're also locking in losses for the team. What is the benefit of that? Getting experience is a good thing, yes, but why is it a good thing if it's a totally dysfunctional situation?

Also, is Eli really the problem? I don't think he's been the problem this year. Given what he has to work with, I would say his performances and his numbers have been perfectly fine. He is not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

I disagree. You're setting a young kid that has barely stepped foot into the league to fail. You're giving him no wide receivers, no offensive line, and no running game to lean on. You're putting him in a situation where he is completely doomed. You're also locking in losses for the team. What is the benefit of that? Getting experience is a good thing, yes, but why is it a good thing if it's a totally dysfunctional situation?
            you got Also, is Eli really the problem? I don't think he's been the problem this year. Given what he has to work with, I would say his performances and his numbers have been perfectly fine. He is not the issue.
            you got to get over your dave brown syndrome. eli will be gone in a few years and is rapidly declining. i agree throwing him (webb)in isnt a good option but he must be worked in to get some exp and to see what he has for the future .

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post

you got to get over your dave brown syndrome. eli will be gone in a few years and is rapidly declining. i agree throwing him (webb)in isnt a good option but he must be worked in to get some exp and to see what he has for the future .
              Exactly. It's a ****ty situation to drop him in but at least he can show you some positives if he has any. Not necessarily results because of how bad the team is but he can show you if he has any upside. Can he make good decisions? How is his foot work under pressure? How does he handle the clock? Can he got the short stuff in stride? Can he protect the football? Can he escape the pocket and throw under pressure? Lots of things to look at even if he doesn't win games. Need to know before our top 5 pick next year.
              Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Exactly. It's a ****ty situation to drop him in but at least he can show you some positives if he has any. Not necessarily results because of how bad the team is but he can show you if he has any upside. Can he make good decisions? How is his foot work under pressure? How does he handle the clock? Can he got the short stuff in stride? Can he protect the football? Can he escape the pocket and throw under pressure? Lots of things to look at even if he doesn't win games. Need to know before our top 5 pick next year.
                So obvious it is painful. That is exactly why that idiot McAdoo won't do it. Those stating that Webb needs to be protected like some newborn, lest his fragile ego be damaged, really need to consider why we even wasted a 3rd round draft pick on him in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Smitty View Post

So obvious it is painful. That is exactly why that idiot McAdoo won't do it. Those stating that Webb needs to be protected like some newborn, lest his fragile ego be damaged, really need to consider why we even wasted a 3rd round draft pick on him in the first place.
                  Only a waste if we don't use him. Personally I would hope Eli would be here for 1 more year to bridge the gap. Whether that's with Webb or a high pick next year.
                  Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post

In what fashion is Eli rapidly declining?

Comment

I wasn't planning on having meaningless games played in October either.
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

that McAdoo decision is like all others hes made this season. its crazy to not play Webb. how will we know what we have in him?
                        sigpic

Comment

It's not a shock that the Giants aren't going to put Webb out there since they never planned for him to play this season. While I'd like to see what Webb can do, the Giants already have a starting QB in Eli, so it doesn't make sense for them to put Webb out there unless Eli gets hurt.
                          One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

What's with these "you gotta coddle the rookie QB" BS posts? Throw the guy into the fire, see if he has what it takes to be a QB of the NY Giants. I don't care if we win a single game with Webb behind center, I wanna see what his QB skills are. With this OL, I wanna see how mobile/athletic he is when the protection breaks down & it will. Can he escape pressure up the middle , roll out & either complete a pass on the run or actually take off & get a 1st dn with his legs. I wanna see his arm strength throwing accurately 30yds+ downfield. How does he run the 2 min drill? Can he throw a good screen pass? Can he read a defense & pick up a blitze. If he can demonstrate these skills when the offense is only operating on 2 cylinders, then he should be lights out when the O is operating on 6-8 cylinders. You don't wait 2-3 more yrs till the OL/run game gets fixed to put him in when everything is ideal for him only to watch him show his true colors when injuries deplete the run game/OL. Find out now if he is a true NFL caliber QB, not 3 yrs from now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

He'll get plenty of opportunity to display is footwork under pressure. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X