To whom do we wave goodbye?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay051 View Post

I dont know about financial sense. How much will the Giants lose if they cut Eli??
    Eli is a $20M and $22M cap hit the next two seasons.

If we release him as a June 1st cut this year he will be a $9M cap hit.

That would save us $11M.

Comment

surprise , mara will come out fired up make subtle threats then let go of no one. 50 percent of the fans will believe he is serious and jump back on board (business as usual)

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
        Merge with the Jets to create an NYC superteam
        hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
          surprise , mara will come out fired up make subtle threats then let go of no one. 50 percent of the fans will believe he is serious and jump back on board (business as usual)
          I hope youíre wrong.
          Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

is there any way to trade or cut some guys to save cap space next season?

anybody think maybe???

rhett ellison?
            jpp?

something has to give, no?

everyone keeps saying DRC, but the guy is one of the best players in the league and good corners are so tough to come by, especially guys that can play slot corner or safety as well as corner.

I'd keep DRC if possible

Comment

Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

Eli is a $20M and $22M cap hit the next two seasons.

If we release him as a June 1st cut this year he will be a $9M cap hit.

That would save us $11M.
              So this is your solution cut a 2 time SB MVP after June 1st to save money. So respect for the QB let say to find a job during the FA period is out of the question. Really?
              The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

So this is your solution cut a 2 time SB MVP after June 1st to save money. So respect for the QB let say to find a job during the FA period is out of the question. Really?
                You can designate him a June 1st cap hit and release him on the first day of the new season (first week of March). That way the Giants get cap relief after June 1st and the player becomes a FA at the start of the new season.

Comment

You can designate him a June 1st cap hit and release him on the first day of the new season (first week of March). That way the Giants get cap relief after June 1st and the player becomes a FA at the start of the new season.
                  Do you actually believe what you write. Do you expect me to believe while his contract is active with the Giants ( until June 1st) He could sign with a new team . Please refrain from attempting to insult my intelligence.
                  The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Do you actually believe what you write. Do you expect me to believe while his contract is active with the Giants ( until June 1st) He could sign with a new team . Please refrain from attempting to insult my intelligence.
                    It appears as though you really have no clue how the June 1st designation works.

His contract isnt "active." His dead cap money is, until June 1st.

"The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. Itís the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year."

https://overthecap.com/explaining-th...t-designation/

Comment

Originally posted by Down-lifer View Post

A new QB and HC insures absolutely nothing except uncertainty. Both are few-and-far between.

With that said, changes need to be made. Starting with HC.
                      Stop making sense.

Comment

This.

It makes most financial sense to release Eli as a June 1st cut. The organization has to make a decision based on facts rather than feelings and nostalgia.
                        Cool. What are the facts that support this theory for improving the team in 2018?

Comment

It appears as though you really have no clue how the June 1st designation works.

His contract isnt "active." His dead cap money is, until June 1st.

"The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. Itís the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year."

https://overthecap.com/explaining-th...t-designation/
                          I stand corrected but it still does not free up his cap money in March.

But by no means is it going to be a way to spend more money in the early stages of free agency and it does nothing to improve a teams cap position in March.

I still don't see ownership allowing Eli to be cut at the end of this season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post
                            is there any way to trade or cut some guys to save cap space next season?

anybody think maybe???

rhett ellison?
                            jpp?

something has to give, no?

everyone keeps saying DRC, but the guy is one of the best players in the league and good corners are so tough to come by, especially guys that can play slot corner or safety as well as corner.

I'd keep DRC if possible
                            i have no idea about JPP's contract but i can't imagine we could cut him without taking a pretty serious hit considering the amount of guaranteed money we gave him (terrible mistake).

as far as rhett ellison, he only got around $8 million guaranteed but the fact we gave a 4 year $18 million contract to a blocking TE is enough reason for JR's firing as any. to think there were actually people on this board that were lauding that as a good move in the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                              Merge with the Jets to create an NYC superteam
                              They'll be called the NY Gents.
                              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Cool. What are the facts that support this theory for improving the team in 2018?
                                1. With Eli Manning we have won one (1) game in 2017. That lone victory came against a team in a complete downward spiral also. We just lost to a previously winless team.

2. Eli Manning's cap hit in 2018 is $22.2M. This team's position and competitiveness next year does not warrant tying up that much money in a QB who has one or two years left in his career. Especially since that QB is looking to go 1-15 in 2017.

3. We will save over $10M in cap relief if we release Eli Manning as a June 1st designation.

4. Keeping Eli Manning as the starting QB severely hampers wholesale change in the coaching staff, GM, front office positions. Why would any potential new GM, head coach or coaching staff want to be married to a QB who has one or two years left in his career? Especially when said QB is rapidly regressing for the past couple of seasons.

5. Rebuild, retool, whatever you want to call it... that's the position our franchise is in right now. You don't rebuild or retool with a 37 year old regressing QB with one or two years left in his career.

To me this makes sense. If you are fine with trotting out the status quo next year, then this will not make sense to you.

And just to be clear, I've stated a multitude of times in several other threads: Eli Manning isn't the sole problem with this team. Our issues are systemic. I am just approaching this from a business perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X