Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very interesting take from Carl Banks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJeAoiSPiE

rest of the panel did not seem to agree with most of what he said.

thoughts?

I have been saying for pass month -"Carl Banks for GM"!!

Comment

I think Carl Banks understands that the purpose of getting a young player in there is to see if he's the future at the position.

Here is the problem. If the Giants are picking in the top 3, is there anything that Webb could do in these last 8 games that would stop them from taking a QB with that pick? If not, then he's obviously not the future at the position and they might as well keep a veteran in there to help all of the other young guys that are on the field.

And this is why I hated the Webb pick to begin with. Because I knew that when it came time to move on from Eli, there would be no way the team was going to put its hopes in a 3rd round pick and there's no way any of us as fans would go with that as well.
      All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

@3:50 lmao

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
          I think Carl Banks understands that the purpose of getting a young player in there is to see if he's the future at the position.

Here is the problem. If the Giants are picking in the top 3, is there anything that Webb could do in these last 8 games that would stop them from taking a QB with that pick? If not, then he's obviously not the future at the position and they might as well keep a veteran in there to help all of the other young guys that are on the field.

And this is why I hated the Webb pick to begin with. Because I knew that when it came time to move on from Eli, there would be no way the team was going to put its hopes in a 3rd round pick and there's no way any of us as fans would go with that as well.
          Just because we'd most likely take a QB with a top 3 pick even if Webb plays great in the final 6 or 7 games doesn't mean he's not necessarily the future franchise QB for the giants. For all we know we take Darnold or Rosen with the 2nd or 3rd pick and then Webb wipes the floor with him in training camp and preseason and ends up the starting QB. Chances are that won't happen I mean Webb did fall to the late 3rd round so obviously there were a lot of teams that weren't very high on him but it's not unheard of for a franchise QB to be picked in the 3rd round or later, even if it's extremely rare.

Considering how rare it is for the Giants to get a top 5 pick I think you have to take a QB given the fact that Eli is pretty much done anyway and it's looking to be a strong QB class. I don't think we would have taken Webb in the third round if we had any idea that we were going to go 2-14 or 3-13 this season.

Comment

The only one that knows what he's talking about is Carl. I seem to remember another reach pick ( Nassib) who now selling Chevy's. Fans on this forum were calling for him to start 2 years ago. Today, the talk is Webb, another reach pick by Reese to start. To what end? The line he'd be playing behind would probably get him killed. How about Geno? another brain fart by Reese, let us roll him out there, he's a terrific turnover machine. When Eli hangs up his pads, many are gonna rue the day. Yea we suck and Eli is not playing like Aron Rogers, but he is not the reason we are 1-7. That honor goes to the Ben & Jerry show. Terrible roster, not one decent LB, RB, OT, Center, LG, worst ST coach in the league, a rookie kicker that's missed too many FG, A punter that is betting heavy or has become a head case, So yea make my day - put in Webb, and sit back and enjoy the **** show/

Comment

Carl is exactly right. If Webb gets in, it won't be to start a game. He will get some snaps if a game is out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by nygfan0816 View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJeAoiSPiE

rest of the panel did not seem to agree with most of what he said.

thoughts?
                This is fairly easy. If the Giants are thinking about drafting a quarterback in the upcoming draft then at some point you must play webb to determine if drafting a quarterback is necessary. Simple as that. Who knows, we may not need a quarterback and can go out and draft a running back or an offense of lineman or just trade out of the pick. How would we know if those are viable option without determining whether or not webb can play?
                That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

then someone needs to be fired

You knew? Oh that's right, there has never been a quarterback drafted outside of the first round that has had success. I follow you now
                  That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

Another thought, even if the Giants want to take a quarterback there is still a possibility webb could have value. How many times have we seen a quarterback play for a game or two and increases his value and then traded during the off-season for pics. I know it's a long shot but play webb for a few games and if he plays well he could be potential trade bait. That alone justifies playing him because no one can say that's not a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmanfrom58 View Post
                      The only one that knows what he's talking about is Carl. I seem to remember another reach pick ( Nassib) who now selling Chevy's. Fans on this forum were calling for him to start 2 years ago. Today, the talk is Webb, another reach pick by Reese to start. To what end? The line he'd be playing behind would probably get him killed. How about Geno? another brain fart by Reese, let us roll him out there, he's a terrific turnover machine. When Eli hangs up his pads, many are gonna rue the day. Yea we suck and Eli is not playing like Aron Rogers, but he is not the reason we are 1-7. That honor goes to the Ben & Jerry show. Terrible roster, not one decent LB, RB, OT, Center, LG, worst ST coach in the league, a rookie kicker that's missed too many FG, A punter that is betting heavy or has become a head case, So yea make my day - put in Webb, and sit back and enjoy the **** show/
                      I'm sure the show would be no different than what's being displayed now. If he has no future with the Giants then who cares if he gets killed. I mean don't we want to preserve Eli for as long as possible, save whatever arm strength is left

Comment

I'd love if they'd reach out to banks for some sort of position within this Org. He'd be great with the players.
                        sigpic

Comment

Soooo.....only first round QB's are worthy of being starters, and the fans wouldn't stand for anything less.

Interesting. I suggest that you start watching games other than Giants games. You might be very surprised to find out how wrong you are
                          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by dmighty326 View Post

This is fairly easy. If the Giants are thinking about drafting a quarterback in the upcoming draft then at some point you must play webb to determine if drafting a quarterback is necessary. Simple as that. Who knows, we may not need a quarterback and can go out and draft a running back or an offense of lineman or just trade out of the pick. How would we know if those are viable option without determining whether or not webb can play?
                            I don't think there is anything Webb can do to prevent the Giants from drafting a QB with a top 5 pick in a very good quarterback class with the best QB they've ever had almost 37. He could light the world on fire, it doesn't matter. You don't pick in the top 5 often, let alone for it to time up with a projected great QB class. A great situation to have whether or not Eli Manning is here is a top 5 QB and a guy they really like in Webb from last year competing. Even both those guys behind Manning is not a bad thing. Jared Goff was a 3rd string QB for a time last year.

The only thing that prevents the Giants from taking a QB in the top 5 this year is if it somehow shakes out it's not a prospect they love or Saquon is available. And even Saquon being available isn't a guarantee the Giants don't take a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito-Wooten View Post

Just because we'd most likely take a QB with a top 3 pick even if Webb plays great in the final 6 or 7 games doesn't mean he's not necessarily the future franchise QB for the giants. For all we know we take Darnold or Rosen with the 2nd or 3rd pick and then Webb wipes the floor with him in training camp and preseason and ends up the starting QB. Chances are that won't happen I mean Webb did fall to the late 3rd round so obviously there were a lot of teams that weren't very high on him but it's not unheard of for a franchise QB to be picked in the 3rd round or later, even if it's extremely rare.

Considering how rare it is for the Giants to get a top 5 pick I think you have to take a QB given the fact that Eli is pretty much done anyway and it's looking to be a strong QB class. I don't think we would have taken Webb in the third round if we had any idea that we were going to go 2-14 or 3-13 this season.
                              These are great points on Webb. He seems like a wasted pick, but maybe they never figured to be in this bad record / good draft position. He does have a year on a potential QB pick, though - with possible urgency at that position next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X