No announcement yet.

very interesting take from Carl Banks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Banks is the only analyst/personality who has their head on straight.....and I love how he just shoots it straight.....doesn't pull punches even as a former player and radio color guy......the dude is awesome......if he was on this team in that locker room he'd be cracking skull. I would love giving him a shot in the front office somewhere.

Comment

Carl made some good points, but so did the rest of the panel. On one hand, you can't just hand Webb the starting job just because he was a 3rd round pick. But on the other hand, you can't just keep assuming that Eli gives the team the best chance to win just because he's the franchise QB especially when the team is 1-7 and looking at a Top 3 draft pick next year.

I'm all for letting Eli play out the rest of the season, but when Mara hopefully cleans house in the off-season the Giants have to be prepared to move on from Eli. They can use their Top 3 pick on a QB and let the first round pick and Webb fight it out for the starting job.
      One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Carl Banks simply said if Eli is your best option in winning a game then you play him, its that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
          Carl is exactly right. If Webb gets in, it won't be to start a game. He will get some snaps if a game is out of control.
          The problem is, you dont want Eli to get a hot like he has in the past a few games and win 4-5 games this year and knock us out of the top 10. Then we have to trade up if we love one of these QBs in the draft and mortgage future picks.
          Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

The problem is, you dont want Eli to get a hot like he has in the past a few games and win 4-5 games this year and knock us out of the top 10. Then we have to trade up if we love one of these QBs in the draft and mortgage future picks.
            Why is that a problem? These players are getting paid to win, not to tank to get draft picks or move up in the draft order. A lot of them are playing for their jobs and future contracts, do you think they are worried about draft order? Your logic as it concerns the progression of us getting draft picks is troubling.

In theory if Eli plays well with a depleted WR core and mediocre running game, that speaks volumes that he still has something left in the tank. Unless their is a Carson Wentz or Goff like player in the draft then I think we go after OL or generational talents.
            sigpic <-NYG Fan "REALIST"

Comment

Comments on that video are worse than the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                Carl is exactly right. If Webb gets in, it won't be to start a game. He will get some snaps if a game is out of control.
                Yup. I don't know who that kid was arguing with Banks, but he sounds like a lot of kids here. Bottom line is NFL franchises don't tank, and most will play whomever gives them the best chance of winning, regardless of what the record is. Especially the Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                  Comments on that video are worse than the boards.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by Kez Simpson View Post

Why is that a problem? These players are getting paid to win, not to tank to get draft picks or move up in the draft order. A lot of them are playing for their jobs and future contracts, do you think they are worried about draft order? Your logic as it concerns the progression of us getting draft picks is troubling.

In theory if Eli plays well with a depleted WR core and mediocre running game, that speaks volumes that he still has something left in the tank. Unless their is a Carson Wentz or Goff like player in the draft then I think we go after OL or generational talents.
                    Its a problem for the fans and organization, not for the players or coaches. They will play to win. Id rather this team go 1-15 at this point and get the #1 pick over going 6-10 and picking 11th. Sure we could find a good player at 11 (Odell), but its more about playing the odds of getting a better player in the top 3. They would be able to get the QB they want as opposed to having to trade up and get him. If we lost a couple of meaningless games in 2003, we would have the #1 pick and not have to pay out the butt for Eli. Does it matter if we went 4-12 in 2003 or 1-15? No. It doesnt. BEsides, if we win a few more games the FO may just decide to keep these buffoons together and making the decisions. Id rather flush the bowl.

And its funny you say "unless there is a Goff or Wentz in the draft", because at the time, those QBs were considered average and it was a very weak QB class.
                    Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

First, Webb needs to be activsted on game day.
                      Then coach can decide if he can get into the game.

Comment

I love me some Carl Banks wish we had 53 guys like him. Loved him as a player and was very underrated and as a voice for the Giants for what is now 20 years or more. All the Eli bashers can go argue with Carl Banks.

The Webb pick was definitely wasted now with the Giants being so bad. The Giants really must go QB with a top 3 pick. Only the Browns out of the bad teams are going QB. The Browns and the Giants. All these bad teams already have their QB's S.F , Chi , Indy , Jets and Ravens already have 4 wins, were going to pick ahead of them. The other teams are too far back to matter.

If we lose to S.F. we actually win in the long run. We could pick 2nd and that would be one less team that we could be jumped by in a trade on draft day.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I really don't think that will be a problem. We're at 1-7, with Eli. If they fire Mac next week (I can dream) then you might have as point. But as long as Mac is calling the shots, I seriously doubt we win another game. As far as Webb is concerned, I remind all he was a 3rd round reach by the reacher in charge of reaches. Last one is out of football. IMO a wasted pick, from a guy who has a legacy of wasted picks.

Comment

Isn’t McCadoo’s job to evaluate his players? The coaching staff should have a good idea of how good Webb is and if he could play at NFL level. Rookie mistakes will happen but if the foundation is there, let him play.

Comment

“Best chance to win” TO WIN WHAT!? WHAT ARE WE WINNING!? A CONSOLATION PRIZE!? Congrats on not having a completely **** season. You managed to win a whopping 3 games! WAHOO!

Comment

Originally posted by Tito-Wooten View Post

Just because we'd most likely take a QB with a top 3 pick even if Webb plays great in the final 6 or 7 games doesn't mean he's not necessarily the future franchise QB for the giants. For all we know we take Darnold or Rosen with the 2nd or 3rd pick and then Webb wipes the floor with him in training camp and preseason and ends up the starting QB. Chances are that won't happen I mean Webb did fall to the late 3rd round so obviously there were a lot of teams that weren't very high on him but it's not unheard of for a franchise QB to be picked in the 3rd round or later, even if it's extremely rare.

Considering how rare it is for the Giants to get a top 5 pick I think you have to take a QB given the fact that Eli is pretty much done anyway and it's looking to be a strong QB class. I don't think we would have taken Webb in the third round if we had any idea that we were going to go 2-14 or 3-13 this season.
                                Yes, except that the scenario you entail would occur regardless of whether Webb plays or not this year. Basically what I'm saying is that, if Webb playing ultimately has not bearing on the teams' decision making process in regards to QB next year, then I understand Banks' reasoning behind not just throwing the kid out there. Because it then has no real purpose for the team while showing other players that you've quit on the season, which may hurt their ability to demonstrate that they are worth keeping next year.
                                All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Working...
                                X