an interesting conversation with an ex NFL GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an interesting conversation with an ex NFL GM

So I am in Texas on business and last night ran into a former NFL GM who I have known for many years at an event that we both attend just about every year. ... he actually was in the same high school class as my wife's older brother in Bergen County NJ a long long time ago.

this particular man has been part of multiple Super Bowl championships and is a wonderful football mind and business mind.

long story longer ... we got on the subject of the Giants and he had some interesting things to say

now these are obviously just his opinions but they make a ton of sense to me

first ... and as no shocker he said he believes that McAdoo and Reese ... along with their staffs will not survive this debacle ... and to quote him ... "if they lose Sunday the coach is a dead man walking"

he also said that he thinks the Giants will have a hard time landing one of the younger sought after head coaching prospects because of the ownerships undying commitment to Eli Manning

meaning that one of these guys will not want to come in here where there is an aging QB with most likely 2 or so years left under contract and the ownership is "married to him"

he then threw out a couple names of guys who he knows would love the job but that he is sure they would come in with one of their stipulations being trading the QB

this is a guy who is an Eli Manning fan ... loves the guy.... just feels that parting ways with the GM and coach may also have to result in parting ways with the QB to land a promising coach unfortunately

I just don't see John Mara allowing that to happen until his contract is up

interesting times ahead

Eli realistically has probably one more full year, which is next year. Does he really think one year with Eli will sour a HC from taking the job? Especially if they get a high draft pick next year?

And how do you trade a QB with a no trade clause?

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
      So I am in Texas on business and last night ran into a former NFL GM who I have known for many years at an event that we both attend just about every year. ... he actually was in the same high school class as my wife's older brother in Bergen County NJ a long long time ago.

this particular man has been part of multiple Super Bowl championships and is a wonderful football mind and business mind.

long story longer ... we got on the subject of the Giants and he had some interesting things to say

first ... and as no shocker he said he believes that McAdoo and Reese ... along with their staffs will not survive this debacle ... and to quote him ... "if they lose Sunday the coach is a dead man walking"

he also said that he thinks the Giants will have a hard time landing one of the younger sought after head coaching prospects because of the ownerships undying commitment to Eli Manning

meaning that one of these guys will not want to come in here where there is an aging QB with most likely 2 or so years left under contract and the ownership is "married to him"

he then threw out a couple names of guys who he knows would love the job but that he is sure they would come in with one of their stipulations being trading the QB

this is a guy who is an Eli Manning fan ... loves the guy.... just feels that parting ways with the GM and coach may also have to result in parting ways with the QB to land a promising coach unfortunately

interesting times ahead

Really cool insight. I sure as heck don't know John Mara, but I'd have to imagine that at the crossroads he'll be faced with in the offseason, no matter affinity for one of the most important players in franchise history and the best quarterback in franchise history, he'd be able to put the Giants first.

Ultimately, his coaching change and plan after the 2015 season was the, "keep Eli Manning and have success plan." It hasn't worked, so now two years later he'll be faced with the same decision. To make the same one again would definitely be foolish. I guess the other interesting thing would be, would a new coach be okay with whatever the Giant's QB selection was in the 2018 draft being someone who sat for at least a year knowing there was a future vision (even near future) that didn't involve Eli Manning.

Comment

It doesnt shock me.

Giants have been known to hold onto trash too long rather than the Pats way of getting rid of it before decline. Thats the biggest difference between the 2. About 75% of the fan base knows Eli is hurting the team more than helping these days. And it seems about 90% of coaches / staffs / players do as well.

But Eli isnt the only issue so im not pointing only at him.

McAdoo doesnt like Eli either and I think he is being forced to play him. IF McAdoo had his way, we would probably have a new QB already.
        Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

I love YA's posts

Comment

interesting times ahead

YA,

I'm curious if you asked him or if he said anything if that situation changes if the Giants have a top 3 pick and plan on taking a QB to replace Eli in a season or two?

Thanks.

Comment

That former exec did not say anything that we haven't discussed. Eli Manning is not a difference maker anymore and should not be a part of the future plans of this franchise. Then you have to ask yourself why is he still here? McAdoo doesn't care for him and Reese has been criticizing him for years. That tells me that the owners are force feeding him to the GM and HC.

Comment

interesting times ahead

The ownership being married to Eli is a massive problem. They're not thinking objectively, which is a shame.

Two more years of subpar QB play. I wonder how much Dak and Wentz will have progressed by then.

Comment

Iím trying to figure out who this former GM is, my logical guess is Bobby Beathard.
                  As for McAdoo I feel he is aleasdy a dead man walking, his team hates him, doesnít trust him, and most importantly doesnít respect him. Heís coaching for his job with the very players who wouldnít run through a wall for him. He has no one to blame but himself, for whatever reason he lost this team and he will not get them back. It took him 5 weeks to relinquish the play calling when it was evident he was not fulfilling his job of being the head coach. He was to busy with his nose in his oversized play sheet. He never did himself any favors with the media as well, giving them one word answers, not being direct, almost coming off as heís wasting his time speaking to the media. But in this market you better have a decent relationship with the media. Because the second things go wrong they will all go against you, like vultures swarming a dead animal.

Iím curious to see how the players respond this weekend, I think they will play hard, but for themselves and their fellow teammates. Not McAdoo.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
                    Eli realistically has probably one more full year, which is next year. Does he really think one year with Eli will sour a HC from taking the job? Especially if they get a high draft pick next year?

And how do you trade a QB with a no trade clause?
                    You don't. You release him and bite the bullet. They actually save 9 million in cap space if they cut him. Let him keep his remaining guaranteed money and move on. Both sides win.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

The ownership being married to Eli is a massive problem. They're not thinking objectively, which is a shame.

Two more years of subpar QB play. I wonder how much Dak and Wentz will have progressed by then.
                      They're both already MVP candidates. Lol. The giants easily have the worst QB situation in the NFCE

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post

They're both already MVP candidates. Lol. The giants easily have the worst QB situation in the NFCE
                        And they'll be the worst team because of it. Well, until management realizes its time to move on.

This organization as a whole is so reactive its not even funny.

Comment

Thanks for posting YA, confirms what many here have been saying, and yes, the old curse is certainly in full force around here - May you live in interesting times!!

Comment

Eli Manning

Comment

interesting times ahead

I agree with everything this guy said........Eli has become a boat anchor (no good young coach will touch him, nor will guys like Saban) but to another team a potential savior. He's too slow for this offense.

MacAdoo and Reese are already dead men walking

Did he say anything about Webb?

Comment

Working...
                              X