an interesting conversation with an ex NFL GM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I remember an interview with Tom where he said he hired McAdoo because he wanted to "shake things up".
    Total speculation here, but I think TC thought Mac was someone he could mentor for awhile, with the idea he could be a candidate to replace him when he retired. Just think he never thought it would be in 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYG9289 View Post

You rocking the away Eli jersey today, Archie?

I'm actually wearing my 51 jersey today in honor of the only defensive player that showed up yesterday.

I'll wear the Eli superhero jersey and cape tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayMas9 View Post

Really cool insight. I sure as heck don't know John Mara, but I'd have to imagine that at the crossroads he'll be faced with in the offseason, no matter affinity for one of the most important players in franchise history and the best quarterback in franchise history, he'd be able to put the Giants first.

Ultimately, his coaching change and plan after the 2015 season was the, "keep Eli Manning and have success plan." It hasn't worked, so now two years later he'll be faced with the same decision. To make the same one again would definitely be foolish. I guess the other interesting thing would be, would a new coach be okay with whatever the Giant's QB selection was in the 2018 draft being someone who sat for at least a year knowing there was a future vision (even near future) that didn't involve Eli Manning.
        Thanks Ya. Excellent perspective, as you always provide.
        1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

• So was it Charlie Casserly?
          Everyone has the right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.

Comment

• Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

And therein lies the problem. Any potential HC candidate is obviously going to have to take this into consideration, and if I had to make a wild guess, not many(if any) of them are going to want to be saddled with a 37 year old QB who is most definitely on a major slide in the wrong direction.
            I don’t understand this school of thought. If we’re picking Top 3, as seems likely, and take a highly ranked QB, surely any new coach would be grateful for a potential HOF QB to help the future of the franchise learn the tricks of the trade before handing over the reins? I imagine Eli is a pragmatist and has always known this was how things could play out in NY.

Is that an outlandish scenario?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlbaBigBlue View Post

I don’t understand this school of thought. If we’re picking Top 3, as seems likely, and take a highly ranked QB, surely any new coach would be grateful for a potential HOF QB to help the future of the franchise learn the tricks of the trade before handing over the reins? I imagine Eli is a pragmatist and has always known this was how things could play out in NY.

I think this was true years ago when 1st round QBs would sit and learn for a while....but NFL has changed and 1st round QBs start right away ...who showed the tricks of the trade to Wentz, Watson, Goff?

Comment

No, its not outlandish, and it's the exact same arguement I made. Eli is really only a problem for 2018 and we will get a high pick this year. No HC is going to balk at coming to the Giants because of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

No, its not outlandish, and it's the exact same arguement I made. Eli is really only a problem for 2018 and we will get a high pick this year. No HC is going to balk at coming to the Giants because of that.
                  All true. Eli's deal is not a roadblock to hiring a new coach. The FO would be crazy to insist on Eli being in any long term plans.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    All true. Eli's deal is not a roadblock to hiring a new coach. The FO would be crazy to insist on Eli being in any long term plans.
                    I don't think what this gentleman was suggesting had anything to do with long term plans

but Eli is under contract here through 2019 if I'm not mistaken ... and ownership expects him to be the starter here until his contract is up

apparently the people he has spoken to thought that made the job less appealing ... meaning they would want their high draft pick ... who will definitely be a QB whether they need to trade up or not ... to start day one and not have to install with Eli and be forced to make an Eli friendly offense only to have to start over once he is gone in a year or two

these are coaches and GMs saying this ... not me ... and not some fans in the parking lot

I'm simply the messenger

Comment

No, the logic doesn't actually work for me either. It's one year, the idea that a GM or HC wouldn't come to the NYG over that is a stretch. There may well be other reasons why, but IU doubt that's a compelling one. It's just not logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by river555 View Post

I think this was true years ago when 1st round QBs would sit and learn for a while....but NFL has changed and 1st round QBs start right away ...who showed the tricks of the trade to Wentz, Watson, Goff?
                        No one. Although since neither Wentz nor Goff was all that good their first year perhaps someone should have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

No one. Although since neither Wentz nor Goff was all that good their first year perhaps someone should have.
                          Wentz showed a lot of potential in running an NFL offense and Jeff Fisher refused to start Goff over Keenum in first half of season and got fired a week after the team announced they were gonna extend him. It looks like the Rams made the right moves in hindsight with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

I don't think what this gentleman was suggesting had anything to do with long term plans

but Eli is under contract here through 2019 if I'm not mistaken ... and ownership expects him to be the starter here until his contract is up

apparently the people he has spoken to thought that made the job less appealing ... meaning they would want their high draft pick ... who will definitely be a QB whether they need to trade up or not ... to start day one and not have to install with Eli and be forced to make an Eli friendly offense only to have to start over once he is gone in a year or two

these are coaches and GMs saying this ... not me ... and not some fans in the parking lot

I'm simply the messenger
                            He is under contract through 2019, but his deal is structured where the cap hit is small in 2019. So really it's set up for him to play through next season.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                            X