No announcement yet.

all in on D Webb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webb was a 3rd round in what was perceived as a weak QB draft and he didn't make a throw in a real game. If Gettleman thinks he is the long term answer he should be fired as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
      Not really man. Here are the knocks on Webb coming out.
      • Poor decision-making
      • Pre-determines too many throws
      • Stares down receivers, reads
      • Needs to improve reading defenses, reading coverage
      • Will need to learn operating a huddle
      • Will need to learn working under center
      • Will need to learn and improve footwork
      • Lacks composure when faced with a rush
      • Gets happy feet
      • Gets rattled by the rush
      • Pressure effects his accuracy

That is stuff that good coaching and experience can fix. Rosen has major injury concerns, Allen has terrible accuracy, Mayfield is small (still might make it, love his fire) and Darnold has accuracy / turn over issues. I would not say any of them are MUCH better than Webb. I think Webb would have greatly benefited from having 1 team and coach during college to fix his flaws.

I'm in no way saying Webb is the answer, as much as I want him to be. But there are not sure fire QBs in this draft and not one is a whole lot better than Webb was coming out.

Are you telling me if Webb came out this year he would be a top 1st round QB? Because thats where those others are projected.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Not true at all. He has been in that building for a year.
        True. They probably know his football IQ and ability to learn. They still don't know much about him on a field in real game situations though.

Comment

Yeah and everyone who coached him is gone as well as the GM and head of player personnel. I hope Gettleman isn't going to make a decision on whether or not to draft a QB based on video from practice and the limited action he saw in preseason. Only Mara and Tisch and a few other executives have any idea if he can develop into anything and since he never played a snap in the regular season we don't know how he would perform under pressure.

I mean the odds are against him surely. 3rd round or later QBs very rarely develop into franchise type players. There are only a few right now (Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and of course Brady). In addition the odds of a QB drafted in the top 5 becoming a long term starter in the NFL are much better. I think Gettleman has to draft a QB this year. While none of them are perfect, it's supposed to be a good QB class and we pick in the top 5 once every 10-15 years usually.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

Are you telling me if Webb came out this year he would be a top 1st round QB? Because thats where those others are projected.
            If he's saying that he's insane. Last year's QB class was pretty weak. Of course Watson looked amazing before he got hurt but Trubisky was average, Deshone Kizer was terrible, and the other rookies that saw action like CJ Beathard and Nathan Peterman didn't fare well either. Mahomes we'll find out next season if he's any good.

This QB class is supposed to be much better and I think Webb would probably go even later in the draft like 4th or 5th round.

Comment

Webb is a long shot just for the very fact that he was not a top 5 talent.

I hope the kid turns out great but the odds are, if he is lucky, he will be competent back up at best.
              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

So, Rosen is supposed to be the better QB but he has been injured and not even cleared to play yet. We donít know if the Giants O line will get fixed, meaning that you can draft and sign players but until that first snap it is a toss up. Do teams even consider the risk factors? At least Eli knows how to play around a crappy O line. They should wait until a proven Oline is in place and draft a solid QB or see what Webb is able to do.

Comment

yes.

and the guys who drafted him, the same guys who wouldn't put him on the field or elevate him to QB2 until week 17, are no longer here

Webb has to prove it in training camp and pre-season as he should

he is an absolute non-factor for impacting what the giants do in the draft. He will not dissuade the new regime from drafting a QB if they like one in this draft.

Comment

No. I'm telling you that Webb was the 5th QB taken last year and that any one of those guys you listed could be the 5th one taken this year. I'm saying that every one of them has worse flaws than Webb had last year. I'm saying that they are not "much better prospects" than Webb. Sure 1 or 2 or all four might end up being better pros than Webb, but none are "much better" coming out of college.

That is all I'm saying. We have no idea where these guys would have gone last year or where Webb would go this year. Do you think all four of those guys will go in the top ten this year?
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

No. I'm telling you that Webb was the 5th QB taken last year and that any one of those guys you listed could be the 5th one taken this year. I'm saying that every one of them has worse flaws than Webb had last year. I'm saying that they are not "much better prospects" than Webb. Sure 1 or 2 or all four might end up being better pros than Webb, but none are "much better" coming out of college.

That is all I'm saying. We have no idea where these guys would have gone last year or where Webb would go this year. Do you think all four of those guys will go in the top ten this year?
                      I think 3 will. Maybe a 4th and possibly 5 in the 1st round all together. They are much better prospects than Webb. Webb was never thought of as a big time QB. Otherwise he would have been talked about as being a top 5 pick. If Webb came out this year, he wouldn't be picked in front of any of those QBs.

And I'm air saying that in the NFL Webb won t be better. I'm strictly talking about the draft.

Comment

All in on Webb based on What?

Good Lord...

Comment

Webb was never thought of as a big time QB.
                          Until he became a Giant. Then the Giants' message board took over.

Comment

The bottom line is we're going to see Eli for two more seasons, like it or not. This year may not even be the year to draft a QB. Assuming we rebuild this year, and probably get a decent pick in next year's draft, that might be the year to bring in a rookie QB. That would give you another year to bring Webb along, and not have a first round pick sitting on the bench all year.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
                              The bottom line is we're going to see Eli for two more seasons, like it or not. This year may not even be the year to draft a QB. Assuming we rebuild this year, and probably get a decent pick in next year's draft, that might be the year to bring in a rookie QB. That would give you another year to bring Webb along, and not have a first round pick sitting on the bench all year.
                              This is not the bottom line at all.

If we draft a QB at 2, he will be a starter no later than the start of the 2019 season.

Comment

Do you know who was really high on Webb and who was his main advocate in the draft room? McAdoo.

Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                X