Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we aren't firing McAclue-less today, can we at least sack Reese?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Evan Engram is one of the favorites for Rookie of the Year. And Miles Jack was drafted long before Tom Coughlin joined Jax.
    Wow Reese's 1st rounders OCCASIONALLY turn out to be good, he's the best GM ever. How about the #9 overall pick three years ago who is one of the worst tackles in football, Eli Apple looks real impressive (sarcasm), and that's just the first rounders. How many good players has he gotten in the 2nd rd. or later? Maybe a few in all these years?

Comment

Originally posted by FIREreeseNOW! View Post

Wow Reese's 1st rounders OCCASIONALLY turn out to be good, he's the best GM ever. How about the #9 overall pick three years ago who is one of the worst tackles in football, Eli Apple looks real impressive (sarcasm), and that's just the first rounders. How many good players has he gotten in the 2nd rd. or later? Maybe a few in all these years?
      Save the hyperbole. I never said anything of the sort. Jerry has made plenty of mistakes.

My point is that John Mara doesn't look at JR like he would any other GM he would have hired. It would be very difficult to let him go since he was raised in the Giants system.
      I suspect that if JR goes, he'll resign. I'm also saying that we have a lot of good football players who can win if they were coached properly.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

I don't see it happening because the team has talent. A lack of talent is not our problem.

The team obviously does not believe in this head coach.

And if we look at what he's done to this offense in the 2 years he's owned it, it makes perfect sense why they wouldn't have trust in the guy.

The team has more holes than it does talent. The bad outweighs the good, IMO
        sigpic

Comment

Jerry Reese isn't just some NFL GM. Jerry Reese is Giants family. He was raised in the Giants family. TC, McAdoo, even guys like Ernie Accorsi can be fired.
          Jerry Reese is different. It would kill the Maras to fire a member of the family. If it's done, and I hope it isn't, it won't be some impetuous act as you seem to be describing.
          It would probably be the hardest thing John Mara would ever do.
          I respect that you are on here spreading the unpopular opinion that JR should be retained. Respectfully, I disagree.

Lots of guys in this organization probably feel or felt like they are part of the Giants family. Is Kevin Gilbride Jr considered Giants family? He came here at a young age, survived his dad's firing and has been rising the ranks through multiple regimes. You force out Tom Coughlin who was there for 3 SB championships across 2 different decades. You **** around with Simms at the end of his career. How about Mike Pope? How do you let a guy like that walk. Trainers have been with the organization for years, despite persistent injury problems.

Yes, they run their organization like a family, but at what point are you letting the rest of your family down by making exceptions for one or two guys? I'm not sure they have a legitimate nepotism problem (they may) -- at least no more than other organizations in the league -- but if John Mara can't make the tough business decisions like he did for Coughlin on certain guys (e.g. Reese, Eli), he shouldn't be hiring family in the first place, or running football operations with adopted family members reporting to him.

Posters saying we need a new VP of football operations may have a good point; Mara may need to take a step back for the betterment of the organization.
          sigpic

Comment

Just firing Mac won't fix this. Enough with the patchwork, piecemeal approach. It hasn't worked. Ernie's guys are gone. So are the championships. And that was with a HOF coach leading your team and now a young guy running a Green Bay offense who can't buy a victory. The constant in recent years is JR, sorry to say.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet View Post

I respect that you are on here spreading the unpopular opinion that JR should be retained. Respectfully, I disagree.

Lots of guys in this organization probably feel or felt like they are part of the Giants family. Is Kevin Gilbride Jr considered Giants family? He came here at a young age, survived his dad's firing and has been rising the ranks through multiple regimes. You force out Tom Coughlin who was there for 3 SB championships across 2 different decades. You **** around with Simms at the end of his career. How about Mike Pope? How do you let a guy like that walk. Trainers have been with the organization for years, despite persistent injury problems.

Yes, they run their organization like a family, but at what point are you letting the rest of your family down by making exceptions for one or two guys? I'm not sure they have a legitimate nepotism problem (they may) -- at least no more than other organizations in the league -- but if John Mara can't make the tough business decisions like he did for Coughlin on certain guys (e.g. Reese, Eli), he shouldn't be hiring family in the first place, or running football operations with adopted family members reporting to him.

Posters saying we need a new VP of football operations may have a good point; Mara may need to take a step back for the betterment of the organization.
              Agree, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet View Post

I think there seems to be some misunderstanding here. I'm not saying he should not be fired because he's part of the Giants family. If they think he's done a bad job then have at him. What I AM saying is that it would be very hard for Mr. Mara to fire JR and he certainly wouldn't do it out of anger or frustration in mid season as the OP seems to be suggesting.
                His long held standing in the organization would make that incredibly distasteful to ownership.

Comment

Evan Engram is one of the favorites for Rookie of the Year. And Miles Jack was drafted long before Tom Coughlin joined Jax.
                  all I can say is for every OBJ or Engram there is 6 or seven Marvin Austins or jayron hostly's we will have to agree to disagree this roster is on Reese Ross and Tim Mara.

Comment

Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

all I can say is for every OBJ or Engram there is 6 or seven Marvin Austins or jayron hostly's we will have to agree to disagree this roster is on Reese Ross and Tim Mara.
                    It's called drafting in the NFL. Check Bill Belichick's drafts, or Ozzie Newsome. They all miss a lot.

And his drafts the last two years have been outstanding. Plus he's brought in good free agents.
                    Look at Brett Jones. That kid can flat play. The running game has taken off since he's been at center. Who's decision was it to have him rotting on the bench for a year and a half?

Comment

It's called drafting in the NFL. Check Bill Belichick's drafts, or Ozzie Newsome. They all miss a lot.

And his drafts the last two years have been outstanding. Plus he's brought in good free agents.
                      Look at Brett Jones. That kid can flat play. The running game has taken off since he's been at center. Who's decision was it to have him rotting on the bench for a year and a half?
                      Moorehead i respect your opinion but I'm not buying it he inherited franchise QB that he would have never had the chops to make that trade and he got a pretty good roster,so far he has had to cover his tracks by blowing 200+mill in free agency and his drafts have not been good since 07,the last two drafts are great if you don't need OL,the guy screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

Moorehead i respect your opinion but I'm not buying it he inherited franchise QB that he would have never had the chops to make that trade and he got a pretty good roster,so far he has had to cover his tracks by blowing 200+mill in free agency and his drafts have not been good since 07,the last two drafts are great if you don't need OL,the guy screwed up.
                        I think you are making two mistakes.
                        1. I think you over estimate how many drafted players actually make it in the NFL league-wide.
                        2. I think you are underrating some of the outstanding players that JR has drafted.

You can't rate these drafts in a vacuum. You point out his misses when "misses" are the rule in the NFL. These are college prospects.

Comment

I think you are making two mistakes.
                          1. I think you over estimate how many drafted players actually make it in the NFL league-wide.
                          2. I think you are underrating some of the outstanding players that JR has drafted.

You can't rate these drafts in a vacuum. You point out his misses when "misses" are the rule in the NFL. These are college prospects.
                          It really is simple, if your decent in the draft you don't spend 200+ mill on free agents,I think he has drafted some great players but not enough good to average players to compliment the great ones he does draft,also if your doing ok in the mid to late rounds of the draft your specials should be ok,but maybe just a new coach would help there,I know the draft is a crap shoot but you have to be able to fix your problems through the draft , both lines were in such bad shape they had to spend big om Vernon and Harrison and still be in need on the other side of the ball,200 mill was enough to fix the whole mess.

Comment

Jerry Reese isn't just some NFL GM. Jerry Reese is Giants family. He was raised in the Giants family. TC, McAdoo, even guys like Ernie Accorsi can be fired.
                            Jerry Reese is different. It would kill the Maras to fire a member of the family. If it's done, and I hope it isn't, it won't be some impetuous act as you seem to be describing.
                            It would probably be the hardest thing John Mara would ever do.
                            Yeah this is the part that people are overlooking and will ultimately find themselves extremely frustrated when Reese doesn't get fired lol also the man does have 2 Super Bowls under his watch regardless if people want to give him credit for it or not

I don't think Reese gets fired, he probably gives up GM and remains VP or something but I would be STUNNED if they flat out fire Reese because that is just not something the Giants do. Ernie Accorsi and the great George Young had just some Awful Drafts and Awful Teams and both was given all of the time they needed and was allowed to walk away and retire on their own without being forced out when honestly they probably should've been years before they did retire

I guess we will have to just wait and see how things play out going into the Off Season!

Comment

If you want to sack Reese, put Flowers and Hart outside his office. I guarantee, even the secretary gets sacked.

Comment

I'll repeat what John Mara said in his press conference after the 2015 season.
                                Paraphrasing....."I can't remember a single time where the HC disagreed with a personnel decision"

Do you know why we drafted Apple over Hargreaves? Because Spags system fits Apples ability more than Hargreaves.
                                JR is the final decision maker on who to draft, and is ultimately responsible for those picks.
                                but the coach gets the players he wants here.
                                Why do you think Tom Coughlin was at every combine with his little stop watch. I think McAdoo has less gravitas then TC did. Maybe that's why the last 2 drafts have been so good.
                                Couldn't agree more with you.

When TC was here we always complained about how he'd let good players go. Also not testing out our young rookies to see if they were any good or not.

This year we are all so annoyed because we have such a talented team (JR's job) but haven't executed on the field. That falls to the players and coaches. I hate JR's press conferences but I like a lot of his picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X