Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Tuck: Defense Has To Carry Giants

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...h5lN0blizyAObW

Excerpt: "Justin Tuck has a vision of what he wants the Giants defense to be and that image does not include again being a pop gun in the shadow of Eli Manning’s high-octane offensive attack.

“I hope the defense can carry this team,’’ Tuck said yesterday at the Big Daddy Celebrity Golf Classic at Oheka Castle in Huntington, L.I. “We have to think like we’re going to carry the team and that might be something we’ve lacked, because our offense is so good, thinking we can kind of give up this and that.

“That has to kind of get away from us this year and approach the game in a way that those ’80s teams did with LT [Lawrence Taylor] and Harry [Carson] and all those guys. They went into the game trying to kill the offense and not give ’em anything. We have to get back to that on defense.’’

For the Giants to take a page from the past and return to defensive dominance, Tuck is going to have to rekindle his past excellence. Tuck is entering his ninth season with the Giants and, for the first time in his career, is entering a season in the final year of his contract. There are clearly high stakes ahead for Tuck, yet he sounds as if he’s feeling no pressure.

“I think for whatever reason I feel more alive in a football sense than I have in a long time,’’ he said. “That’s a huge motivation for me this year.’’

Asked what he meant by feeling “more alive in a football sense,’’ Tuck explained: “It just means I’m in a great place. Football is a draining sport sometimes and being in New York City and trying to do as much as I do off the football field, it kind of drains you a little bit. You start to look at things for granted. Maybe I did.

“My focus is football, I’m trying my best to have it family and football, that’s it. You won’t see me out as much as I’ve been in previous years, you won’t see me doing a lot of stuff I’ve done. I’ve kind of dedicated myself to doing a lot of it this offseason. When football comes, that’s where I’m at.’’ Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Oh no! More talking! Here come 10 pages of Tuck bashing. They do need to be better but not sure if they have all the players they need to carry the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
      Oh no! More talking! Here come 10 pages of Tuck bashing. They do need to be better but not sure if they have all the players they need to carry the team.
      Let's be optimistic
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Always have a chance to be better, but losing KP is a bigger deal than people want to believe. They where much better with him playing than not. Think the secondary is very thin and not sure if they will generate enough pressure to help. They will need Tuck to play better for this unit to be any good.

Comment

I'm so glad that we don't have to score 40+ a game now. Tuck knows the defense has to play better and the offense can't win it alone. Atta boy Tuck.
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

You do realize that last year the offense scored 20 or fewer points in all 7 losses and in 1 win the score included a TD by JPP.

Comment

You do realize that last year the offense scored 20 or fewer points in all 7 losses and in 1 win the score included a TD by JPP.
              Yes, but Tuck realizes they can't rely on the offense to score, tackle, get 3 and outs, etc.

Comment

You are implying they needed the offense to score 40 points to win and that is simply not true. He also realizes the offense needs to not go 3 and out and put more than 20 points on he board.

Comment

What makes this year different than last year? The offense is going to carry the season, I can guarantee it.

Comment

You are implying they needed the offense to score 40 points to win and that is simply not true. He also realizes the offense needs to not go 3 and out and put more than 20 points on he board.
                    No, I'm saying for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Moke View Post
                      What makes this year different than last year? The offense is going to carry the season, I can guarantee it.
                      Unfortunately.

Comment

Tuck's basic point is that the defense needs more fire and passion from their players.
                        Makes sense and its not a bad thing to be talking about. Attitude is a domino effect on a team sport so hopefully the defense can
                        stay hungry all season and play like their hair is on fire......
                        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

The offense carried them last year? Really?

Comment

The offense carried them last year? Really?
                            I never said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                              I never said that.
                              Never said you did. You did agree though.

Comment

Working...
                              X