Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide Receivers Aim For Biggest Season Ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wide Receivers Aim For Biggest Season Ever

    http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...2-5c1b3cbf4899

    With several talented and intriguing players, the Giants corps of wide receivers is looking to have its biggest season ever in 2013.

    If Victor Cruz reaches that goal, he will have had quite a season. In 2012, Cruz led the Giants with 86 receptions for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns. He was the first the first player in Giants’ history with 80 catches, 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in a single season. Cruz has back-to-back seasons with at least 80 receptions, 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns. No other Giants receiver has one.

    Cruz’s 86 receptions were the second-highest total in Giants history, trailing only Steve Smith’s 107 catches in 2009. Cruz’s 86 catches placed him seventh in the NFC and 12th in the NFL and his 1,092 yards were 10th in the conference and 15th in the league. He was one of 10 NFL players with at least 10 touchdown catches. Cruz caught at least three passes in every game but one (at Dallas on 10/28, when he had two receptions).

    Hakeem Nicks is looking to rebound from a 2012 season in which he was sidelined or slowed almost the entire year by a knee injury.

    Nicks was inactive for three games and made very brief appearances without a catch in two others. He finished third on the team with 53 receptions, second with 692 yards and tied for third with three touchdown catches.

    Rueben Randle caught 19 passes and scored three touchdowns as a rookie and should play a larger role as an NFL sophomore in 2013. Randle played well in the spring drills and seems to have the inside track to be the third wide receiver.

    Five-year veteran and first-year Giant Louis Murphy has 115 career receptions for 1,707 yards (14.8-yard avg.) and seven touchdowns. In 2012, he played in all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers and caught 25 passes for 336 yards and a touchdown.

    The other wide receiver contenders include Jerrell Jernigan, Jeremy Horne and Kris Adams .
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    No mention of Barden, Break out year for Randle.. BIG TIME!!

    Comment


    • #3
      ESPN's Chris Mortensen would be "shocked" if the Giants and Victor Cruz fail to reach a long-term agreement before the start of training camp, and believes a deal could be hammered out within the "next 10 days."
      Mort made the disclosure on NFL32. He expects Cruz to accept somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-$9 million annually, though he didn't make a prediction on the amount of guaranteed money. Cruz is reportedly seeking between $15-18 million guaranteed. It's not an unrealistic request.
      source: Rotoworld
      didn't know where to post this

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Carter.525 View Post
        didn't know where to post this
        I hope he's right. I was just watching Americas Game: 2011 Giants and, if anyone thinks we'd be the same offense w/o Cruz, they're nuts.

        $8-$9 mil would be a steal.

        Comment


        • #5
          if the running game pans out the passing game will flourish
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

          Comment


          • #6
            i'm so excited to see this offense. this wr group def. has a great chance to do some really special things.

            JR and Co. have done a tremendous job, imo, putting the offense together. They missed on the D, imo, even tho spending more on it, which goes to show how well they did on the offense...imo lol...

            the run game/eli/wrs should all be lights out. If Pugh can insert himself as a starter by week 3 or 4 with it being justified by his play, the sky really is the limit. we may even be able to overcome it if the D struggles horribly...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
              i'm so excited to see this offense. this wr group def. has a great chance to do some really special things.

              JR and Co. have done a tremendous job, imo, putting the offense together. They missed on the D, imo, even tho spending more on it, which goes to show how well they did on the offense...imo lol...

              the run game/eli/wrs should all be lights out. If Pugh can insert himself as a starter by week 3 or 4 with it being justified by his play, the sky really is the limit. we may even be able to overcome it if the D struggles horribly...
              Lets be real. 2011 was eli chuck and duck... that situation will likely never happen again. Basically the playoff run was 8 teams in a row that could not play D to save their life , cowboys, packers, patriots, the only team that had and d was the 49ers, and they had no offence...

              We have the SAME OLINE as last year + pugh, who is described as a reach. They are all one year older, and were not good for the last two years. Hynoski is hurt. We have a better catching TE but he is smaller and will not block as well as unicorn did.

              The only thing exceptional last year was our return man, who wont be returning kicks any more.

              We basically have to hope that nicks recovers 110% and Cruz has a monster year.

              I do believe the D will be a lot better this year, but after their incredible SB run I thought we had a great defence, but I was wrong.
              Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                if the running game pans out the passing game will flourish
                Neither will flourish if the OL doesn't improve. I am hopeful.
                No one remembers who came in second.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                  Lets be real. 2011 was eli chuck and duck... that situation will likely never happen again. Basically the playoff run was 8 teams in a row that could not play D to save their life , cowboys, packers, patriots, the only team that had and d was the 49ers, and they had no offence...

                  We have the SAME OLINE as last year + pugh, who is described as a reach. They are all one year older, and were not good for the last two years. Hynoski is hurt. We have a better catching TE but he is smaller and will not block as well as unicorn did.

                  The only thing exceptional last year was our return man, who wont be returning kicks any more.

                  We basically have to hope that nicks recovers 110% and Cruz has a monster year.

                  I do believe the D will be a lot better this year, but after their incredible SB run I thought we had a great defence, but I was wrong.
                  i cannot even begin to fathom ur post. i usually try and see the other persons view, ur post is so far off reality, imo, that its not even worth it to try and counter it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                    i cannot even begin to fathom ur post. i usually try and see the other persons view, ur post is so far off reality, imo, that its not even worth it to try and counter it.
                    How is my post off from reality? I just read an article on the front page of giants.com that suggested we will have the same 0-line as last year. Is meyers a better blocker then Bennet? So overall we are talking about a general decline on o-line. Hynosky is hurt so we have a decline at full back.

                    I do not see how that is a good sign for our running game or our passing game.

                    Nicks may-or may not return to his pre-injury form.

                    The only variables I see in the equation are:

                    Meyer's vs bennet
                    Randle vs mannigham
                    Flip vs bradshaw

                    You could call each of those an upgrade if you want, but I dont see how this offence is going to have the biggest season ever.


                    http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...0-1a99272b9d30

                    Giants.com's Michael Eisen answers your questions!
                    Today’s edition of The Mailbag on Giants.com.

                    Who do think will be starting on the offensive line?
                    -Guy

                    My guess is the same five players who started most games last year. That would be Will Beatty and David Diehl at tackle, Kevin Boothe and Chris Snee at guard and David Baas at center. First-round draft choice Justin Pugh will certainly get a close look in training camp. He worked at right tackle in the spring. As good as Pugh is, it will be difficult for him to beat out Diehl, a proud 11-year veteran. Pugh may eventually work his way into the lineup, but I think we’ll see a veteran crew on opening day.

                    Same oline as last year is going to produce a vastly different result?
                    Last edited by appodictic; 06-26-2013, 01:12 AM.
                    Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                      How is my post off from reality? I just read an article on the front page of giants.com that suggested we will have the same 0-line as last year. Is meyers a better blocker then Bennet? So overall we are talking about a general decline on o-line. Hynosky is hurt so we have a decline at full back.

                      I do not see how that is a good sign for our running game or our passing game.

                      Nicks may-or may not return to his pre-injury form.

                      The only variables I see in the equation are:

                      Meyer's vs bennet
                      Randle vs mannigham
                      Flip vs bradshaw

                      You could call each of those an upgrade if you want, but I dont see how this offence is going to have the biggest season ever.


                      http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...0-1a99272b9d30

                      Giants.com's Michael Eisen answers your questions!
                      Today’s edition of The Mailbag on Giants.com.

                      Who do think will be starting on the offensive line?
                      -Guy

                      My guess is the same five players who started most games last year. That would be Will Beatty and David Diehl at tackle, Kevin Boothe and Chris Snee at guard and David Baas at center. First-round draft choice Justin Pugh will certainly get a close look in training camp. He worked at right tackle in the spring. As good as Pugh is, it will be difficult for him to beat out Diehl, a proud 11-year veteran. Pugh may eventually work his way into the lineup, but I think we’ll see a veteran crew on opening day.

                      Same oline as last year is going to produce a vastly different result?
                      ur reference to 2011 and eli as this chuck n duck season. and how u basically imply our offense is worthless...with that same OL, we were top 10 across the board and top 5 in many areas offensively...this notion eli had this terrible yr and the offense was awful is only erroneously presented here by a few posters with agendas. your incinuation that theres nothing to be optimistic/look forward to with the offense is so off base i dont know where to begin, so i simply wont and choose to offer a friendly agree to disagree.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                        if the running game pans out the passing game will flourish
                        +1
                        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          They do have a lot of weapons but not so sure they got better at blocking. They lost maybe the best blocking TE and RB in the league last year. The older guys are now another year older and maybe slower and coming off injuries.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The passing game will be perfectly fine as long as players stay healthy. The Giants already proven they can win without a running game. It will be nice to finally have a decent run game, but it's not as important as having an o line who can hold their blocks like the Pats do for example.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's going to come down to two things protection and whether Randle can play as well or better then Manningham/Hixon. Opposing D's are going to key on Cruz and Nicks and try to force as many targets as they can to the TE and other WR. So Randle will definitely need to play well and consistently win his match up. If that happens, whoa man, the Giants O is going to be nasty.

                              Last year, the Giants were the least sacked team. A lot would probably attribute that to Manning's awareness but the O-line did have a hand in it. If Brown and Wilson can pick up where bradshaw left off and block as well as he did, I'll happy take another season like last year where Manning was only sacked 20 times.
                              #80

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X