Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simeon Rice On Michael Strahan: I was In A Class By Myself

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...n/Default.aspx

Excerpt: "Last week Warren Sapp told The Tampa Tribune that Simeon Rice is a better pass rusher than Michael Strahan. This week Tiki Barber, a former teammate of Strahan, said that Warren Sapp is an idiot.

Rice joined Booger McFarland and Rich Herrera on 98.7 The Fan and said his own body of work shows that he was a tremendous pass rusher and that he never got the respect he truly deserved. Rice said that Michael Strahan was an excellent defensive lineman, but Rice himself was in a class of his own. Rice said that he felt that he impacted the game by being one of the first hybrid defensive ends in the NFL." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Read that yesterday and was like "seriously?" Hard for me to have an unbiased response to this because a.) I'm a Giants fan and b.)Man I hate the Bucs and their fans after living in the Trampa Bay for over a decade.

I will say this. Rice was an exceptional pass rusher but he also benefited from having one great DT in Sapp and another good DT in McFarland. Those two DT's helped because QB's couldn't step up into the pocket when Rice would speed around the edges. Rice was also suspect when it came to running plays. He benefited from having good linebackers like Brooks and good tackling CB's like Barber who took the light off the fact that he wasn't really that great at stopping the run.

On stats alone, you gotta give the guy his due, but really all he ever did was run his mouth. It's the reason why his career was much shorter than Strahan's. If he was so damn good, he would have had a longer career IMO.

Comment

Rice is an idiot. Strahans sack record belongs to Deacon Jones or Mark Gastineau but he was better than Rice.
      sigpic

Jerry Reese. The Adrien Robinson of GM's.

Comment

Rice is a dolt, but you can't deny that he was great at what he did.
        http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
        http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
        http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Originally posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
          Read that yesterday and was like "seriously?" Hard for me to have an unbiased response to this because a.) I'm a Giants fan and b.)Man I hate the Bucs and their fans after living in the Trampa Bay for over a decade.

I will say this. Rice was an exceptional pass rusher but he also benefited from having one great DT in Sapp and another good DT in McFarland. Those two DT's helped because QB's couldn't step up into the pocket when Rice would speed around the edges. Rice was also suspect when it came to running plays. He benefited from having good linebackers like Brooks and good tackling CB's like Barber who took the light off the fact that he wasn't really that great at stopping the run.

On stats alone, you gotta give the guy his due, but really all he ever did was run his mouth. It's the reason why his career was much shorter than Strahan's. If he was so damn good, he would have had a longer career IMO.
          I am starting to think Sapp is trying to influence the next HOF ballot to give Strahan more competition and another pass by the voters.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            I am starting to think Sapp is trying to influence the next HOF ballot to give Strahan more competition and another pass by the voters.
            I really don't understand his beef with Strahan. Is just hate because Strahan is more of a media darling?

Comment

He might being trying that but I don't imagine him having any influence over the voters.
              Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                He might being trying that but I don't imagine him having any influence over the voters.
                I don't know man, when he revealed that it was Red Herring, I mean Shockey who blew the whistle on(can't believe i'm going to call it this) BountyGate, the media was convinced!

Comment

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...n/Default.aspx

Excerpt: "Last week Warren Sapp told The Tampa Tribune that Simeon Rice is a better pass rusher than Michael Strahan. This week Tiki Barber, a former teammate of Strahan, said that Warren Sapp is an idiot.

Rice joined Booger McFarland and Rich Herrera on 98.7 The Fan and said his own body of work shows that he was a tremendous pass rusher and that he never got the respect he truly deserved. Rice said that Michael Strahan was an excellent defensive lineman, but Rice himself was in a class of his own. Rice said that he felt that he impacted the game by being one of the first hybrid defensive ends in the NFL." Read more...
                  In all reality, Rice probably was slightly better as a pass rusher

but overall, as a defensive end - no way. Strahan was a beast against the run.. He wasn't a one dimensional player
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

Originally posted by BJacobs aka The Problem View Post
                    I don't know man, when he revealed that it was Red Herring, I mean Shockey who blew the whistle on(can't believe i'm going to call it this) BountyGate, the media was convinced!
                    and then after being blatantly wrong, after speaking with such conviction, to just be 110% wrong probably hurt his credibility in things like this.

Theres a reason hes no long doing Inside the NFL and is doing the show in NFL network now. Its because hes just a talking head who is entertaining. He couldn't hang with Simms and Collinsworth. You saw the difference in knowledge every week
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

a class by himself...
                      that doesn tmean ia good class...lol

he was a very good but these guys all have huge egos....
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                        I would think it would backfire. Sapp is a becoming a post player legend in his own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
                          and then after being blatantly wrong, after speaking with such conviction, to just be 110% wrong probably hurt his credibility in things like this.

Theres a reason hes no long doing Inside the NFL and is doing the show in NFL network now. Its because hes just a talking head who is entertaining. He couldn't hang with Simms and Collinsworth. You saw the difference in knowledge every week
                          +1

Comment

Rice many have some better sack numbers during certain parts of his career, but he spent most of his time going 1 on 1 as a LDE, Strahan played RDE, which although it means he's not taking on the teams' best OL, but he was double teamed A LOT more. It's why most teams put their best pass rusher on the weakside.

And Strahan was tons better against the run.

This feud b/t strahan and rice has been going on for a while, stra even addressed it in his book, but I think was from back in 2006, so this isn't a new thing.
                            All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

i dunno what everyone expected. we all know how egotistical DE's can be. we've seen it first hand time n time again. Strahan, and then Osi...Osi's been saying hes a top 5 DE for a couple yrs now lmao. these guys have alpha dog mentalities ingrained in their heads, it almost is a prerequisite.

asking a DL like Rice, or Sapp, Or Strah if they're the greatest, cant see how anyone would be surprised when they claim they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X