Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Spagnuolo shouldn't make the decision on when Eli Manning sits | 6 QB takeaways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Spagnuolo shouldn't make the decision on when Eli Manning sits | 6 QB takeaways

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Steve Spagnuolo "won" the press conference on Wednesday, not that this was any surprise. The affable defensive coordinator has been a head coach before, so he is comfortable standing behind the podium. Plus, he knows most of the people asking him questions based on his four years in East Rutherford during his current stint with the Giants, and that helps.

But let's face it: It wasn't going to take much for whoever stepped to that podium on Wednesday afternoon to outdo Ben McAdoo. The fired head coach did himself no favors during these media sessions, often coming across as arrogant or combative even with the easiest of questions. And we all know what happened when the questions got harder.

So Spagnuolo was prepared for his first big crisis as interim coach. He announced in his opening remarks that Eli Manning will retake his job as starting quarterback, and his explanation for starting the 13-year veteran was simple. He went with his "gut."

"All I can tell you is this," Spagnuolo said. "When (co-owner) John Mara and I talked, one of the first things he asked was about the quarterback situation and I said, 'John, my gut right now is that Eli should be the starter.'

"What you have to understand is when I was coaching just the defense, I had the blinders on and all I'm worried about is the defense. I stay in my lane. So, I didn't have my eyes around what was going on on offense -- who was playing what. None of that. So, I took my gut and visited with the offensive coaches and together with that and my gut, Eli Manning is going to be our quarterback."

And that's a fine answer -- for this week. Manning wanted his job back, and given the potential reaction from the fan base if he didn't start on Sunday against the Cowboys, it is understandable why the team would want him out there. He also deserves another shot to perform in front of the home fans.

That said: Spagnuolo isn't the guy who should be making this decision about when Manning starts or sits beyond this week. This is a decision that impacts the longterm future of the franchise, and while Mara said that Spagnuolo would be considered, he's not a realistic candidate for the job.

He'll be looking out for his own future -- as anyone should -- and playing Manning gives him the best chance to win a couple of games and make an impression on future employers. That is not in the best interest of the Giants, and if Mara isn't so battle scarred from the first attempt to move Manning to the bench, he'll make sure that rookie Davis Webb gets some snaps before the end of the season.

It was a busy day for quarterbacks in Giants camp. Here are five other observations involving the move back to Manning:" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I like bitter Eli’s answers.
    Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
        That's not an Eli hat, otherwise....
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Granpa, I told you, you gotta stop this!!!

Comment

he coached the defense with blinders on, explains last place D

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
              Spags is not a man of courage. He knows very well that it was Eli's fault his men were constantly on the field, out of breath, and constantly trying to lift this team, until they finally gave up against the chargers.

He know perfectly well eli's been garbage now for years, as his defense carried the entire team last year. However, just like a pathetic cry baby fanbase he has to make the wrong decision for the organization. They deserve exactly what they get.

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                LMFAO ....oh boy....that’s beautiful bro!!!
                I needed that laugh!
                "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Mara: “well Steve, we’’ are hitting ourselves on the head with hammers, and it hurts, whats your feeling on how to make it stop hurting?”

Spagnuolo: “well John, my gut tells me we should stop hitting ourselves in the head with hammers!”

Mara: “wow Steve, what a gutsy decision!
                  "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

LOL even has the look.

Comment

I'm not sure I've read an article written by someone who understands the game less than this one ... what an absolutely painful read

especially #4 ... good grief ... what an absolute moron this guy is

Comment

ok this got a chuckle out of me.

Comment

I was down at the facility today dropping a few things off to the equipment dept and saw a few vet players in the training room ... all of them agreed that the current feel around the building feels a whole lot more like it did when Coughlin was here since Spagnuolo took over

just thought that was interesting but didn’t want to start a new thread

Comment

Regardless of what Spags' gut tells him, Mara is still likely going to want to 'get a look' at Webb on the field this season. I wouldn't be shocked if Mara hasn't already told Spags to put Webb in if the Giants fall behind by 2 or 3 scores in the Cowboys game, or any other game, this season.
                            One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                              I was down at the facility today dropping a few things off to the equipment dept and saw a few vet players in the training room ... all of them agreed that the current feel around the building feels a whole lot more like it did when Coughlin was here since Spagnuolo took over

just thought that was interesting but didn’t want to start a new thread
                              I kinda figured that would be the case. It sounds like he is bring back a lot of Tom's policies .

Comment

Working...
                              X