Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bad old days are back for Steve Spagnuolo's Giants defense

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Steve Spagnuolo always tells reporters he doesn't pay attention to the Giants' defensive statistics until the end of the season. But if he wants to have any chance to remove the interim tag from his new head coach title, he'd better assess the ugly numbers surrounding his unit and fix them in a New York minute.

Lost in the shuffle of the most absurd week in team history: The bad old days are back for Spagnuolo and his defense. A season after emerging as one of the NFL's top groups, and just three months removed from aspirations of a serious Super Bowl push, the Giants' defense is once again in the basement.

After allowing 401 yards in last Sunday's 24-17 loss at the Raiders, the Giants are the league's worst defense according to yards allowed - the traditional metric for ranking team defenses - entering Week 14.

The Giants are allowing 390.8 yards per game this year - about five more than 31st-ranked Tampa Bay (385.6). The Giants are also last in rush defense (130.7 yards per game), 30th in pass yards per game (260.2), tied for 27th in sacks (21) and 23rd in points scored (24.3 per game).

A year ago, when they went 11-5 and made the playoffs, the Giants were ranked 10th, tied for third, 23rd, tied for 14th and second in those categories, respectively." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

What would the excuse be if the team comes out and plays lights out football these next four games? Could you imagine if they look like a totally different team these next four games under Spags?

It would be a total slap in the face to Mac and it would show this team actually does have fight left in them but they just didn't want to show it for someone NO ONE respected on the Giants roster, Im thinking they respect Spags more then Mr Macadoodoo​
    Last edited by IBleedblue2323; 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

lol hadnt had these bad years since 04 before eli took over, time is changing

Comment

In all honesty our team has been very similar to the Eagles offense and defense under Chip Kelly. The offense cannot sustain a drive and the defense is back on the field after little rest and probably pissed off that they have carry the load. Iím not saying that the defense is with flaws but I think this is a factor a lot of people are over looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobie-Doo View Post
          In all honesty our team has been very similar to the Eagles offense and defense under Chip Kelly. The offense cannot sustain a drive and the defense is back on the field after little rest and probably pissed off that they have carry the load. Iím not saying that the defense is with flaws but I think this is a factor a lot of people are over looking.
          difference is eagles roster sucks but good QB and coaching which Giants lack

Comment

I think a lot of people are blaming the offense too much for the bad defense to be honest. How much of he offense has to do with jpp looking fat and slow no matter what time in the game? 1st quater through the 4th quater? What does the offense have to do with spags leaving Landin Collins to cover the deep pass? Collins can't cover a deep ****ing pass. My 5 year old daughter could figure that out!

if anything, the thing people are overlooking is how bad the special teams has been and how much it's hurt the defense and the team as a whole. When you shank punts, kick off balls out of bounds, miss med to long range field goals you kill your defense with field possession.
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

Am I smoking crack for thinking we will see a difference on both sides of the ball this weekend due to coaching change??

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedblue2323 View Post
                Am I smoking crack for thinking we will see a difference on both sides of the ball this weekend due to coaching change??
                With my luck, the giants will win and screw themselves out of a top 2 pick. Now I now it doesn't guarantee anything, but it would really suck if we have to trade away a ton of picks to move up a spot or two cause we won a meaningless game.
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by NephilimGiants View Post

difference is eagles roster sucks but good QB and coaching which Giants lack
                  Eagles roster sucks??? OK.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

With my luck, the giants will win and screw themselves out of a top 2 pick. Now I now it doesn't guarantee anything, but it would really suck if we have to trade away a ton of picks to move up a spot or two cause we won a meaningless game.
                    i can almost guarantee that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedblue2323 View Post
                      Way too many guys are hurt. Shep is likely going to be out and we just put our captain on defense on IR. Dallas is as healthy as they have been all year. Unless Eli makes magic on offense this game won't be close.

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post

i can almost guarantee that happens.
                        Oh I'm sure. Eli is gonna stick it to the giants by winning some games now. You want a new qb? Screw you lol. And again it's one thing if you use one pick and it's a bust and a whole other I'd you trade a bunch of picks and draft a bust. Ask the redskins about rg3. They got really lucky with Kirk though.
                        [SIGPIC]

Comment

That is something many here do not accept as the reason why the defense is performing bad this year. However, there were games that I watched and the defense was on the field for 20 min out of the 30 in the first half! I do not care what defense you put in this situation, they will get gassed and not perform up to par. Add to that the fact that the Giants offense goes 3 and out with a minimal gain, and the bad play of the ST and you have players that, by the 2nd half, have spent most of their time on the field. Also, add to that the fact that Mcidiot said that the defense needs to play better, while his offense was not gaining any yards and the defensive players just quit putting a serious effort. Also add the suspensions of the defensive players and you have a recipe for the disaster Mcidiot has created. But the again, it is not entirely his fault, because that's what happens when you hire Aaron Rodgers waterboy to be your HC.

Comment

Casillas was put on IR.
                            Darius Powe was activated from PS to Roster.

Comment

Was the D truly that much better last season, or was it just that the schedule was that much easier?
                              Itís almost like last year was an open book test, that got the D promoted to a playoff teamís harder schedule, but when they no longer had the answers, and actually had to do the work, they were exposed as not actually being qualified for the harder job!
                              Or something like that.
                              "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X