Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Giants' owner John Mara regret firing Tom Coughlin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Giants' owner John Mara regret firing Tom Coughlin?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "It was an obvious question in the aftermath of the Giants' firing of Ben McAdoo: Does co-owner John Mara regret firing Tom Coughlin two years ago?

"No, I think that was the right decision at the right time," Mara said during an interview with ESPN's The Michael Kay Show. "Listen, I have nothing but respect and affection for Tom Coughlin and I'm very happy that he's happy doing what he's doing in Jacksonville and they're having a great run right now. But that was the right thing to do at the right time."

It's easy to second-guess the decision after McAdoo crashed and burned spectacularly in his second season. But it's difficult to argue with the decision to fire Coughlin, who missed the playoffs in his final four seasons and went 6-10 in each of the two seasons before he was shown the door.

Despite that rough ending to his tenure, Coughlin built a deep reservoir of goodwill with Giants fans for leading the team to a pair of Super Bowl titles. Some fans have gone to great measures to call for the Giants to re-hire Coughlin this week.

Coughlin has enjoyed a renaissance as an executive with the Jaguars, who are off to a surprising 8-4 start. But that doesn't mean the Giants were wrong to move on from Coughlin.

The bigger problem is that the Giants picked the wrong replacement. McAdoo, who was 38 when he was hired, had a thin resume when he got promoted after two seasons as the Giants' offensive coordinator." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I don't think that was the obvious question at all. The obvious question was why didn't he clean house 2 ****ING YEARS AGO!!?? A lot of us predicted this entire thing then. Wasted 2 years. We could be that much farther ahead now, instead of much worse.

Mara is a dumbass.
    Last edited by FBomb; 12-07-2017, 03:34 PM.
    I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
      I don't think that was the obvious question at all. The obvious question was why didn't he clean house 2 ****ING YEARS AGO!!?? A lot of us predicted this entire thing then. Wasted 2 years. We could be that much father ahead now, instead of much worse.

Mara is a dumbass.
      I dont think we wasted 2 years. Last year we went 11-5. And if our WRs could catch, we would have beat the Packers in the playoffs.

This year? Yes, this was a waste. Then again maybe not. IT was bad enough to rid us of the Reesetard.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

I dont think we wasted 2 years. Last year we went 11-5. And if our WRs could catch, we would have beat the Packers in the playoffs.

This year? Yes, this was a waste. Then again maybe not. IT was bad enough to rid us of the Reesetard.
        The offense was still putrid last season. We won 11 games because of our defense. If the offense was half as good as the defense, we could've been contenders. Wasted year.

Comment

I don't think that was the obvious question at all. The obvious question was why didn't he clean house 2 ****ING YEARS AGO!!?? A lot of us predicted this entire thing then. Wasted 2 years. We could be that much father ahead now, instead of much worse.

Mara is a dumbass.
          Yup. Mike f said the reason why didn't clean house two years ago is because Mara didn't want to have to search for two people at the same time, among other things.
          [SIGPIC]

Comment

Probably nothing wrong with Coughlin's football mind in many areas, but to me he wasn't doing well with the in game decisions, or observances of what was going on in the field. But I don't know if dumping Reese, and putting Coughlin in at GM or role other than HC would have worked out at that time, either.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

Yup. Mike f said the reason why didn't clean house two years ago is because Mara didn't want to have to search for two people at the same time, among other things.
              So much for that concern
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Now with Spags put in as lame duck HC, Mara might be searching for 3 people to fill top positions after this season. Maybe even 4, considering Sullivan hasn't shown anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Now with Spags put in as lame duck HC, Mara might be searching for 3 people to fill top positions after this season. Maybe even 4, considering Sullivan hasn't shown anything.
                  I want Mara to not pick ANYBODY!!!....Just let Ernie pick a GM and let that GM decide everything else. John, go play with your money somewhere and let the football guys talk.

Comment

I want Mara to not pick ANYBODY!!!....Just let Ernie pick a GM and let that GM decide everything else. John, go play with your money somewhere and let the football guys talk.
                    Pride will be in the way of that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

I would hope the asst coaches would be more of a head coach thing. How do beach coach firing usually work? The giants kept everybody basically after t.c.. I felt like that was kinda odd.
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

Firing TC was a mistake. Not firing Reese 2 years ago was a 2nd mistake. Hiring McAdoo was a 3rd mistake. What will Mara's next mistake be?

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                          Firing TC was a mistake. Not firing Reese 2 years ago was a 2nd mistake. Hiring McAdoo was a 3rd mistake. What will Mara's next mistake be?
                          Promoting from within. And it will just make me sick.

Comment

The offense was still putrid last season. We won 11 games because of our defense. If the offense was half as good as the defense, we could've been contenders. Wasted year.
                            How can you say a 11-5 season and playoff game is a wasted season. I dont care if we have the worst offense in the league or worst defense in the league. We were good enough for an 11-5 record and a postseason birth. Id take that every day and twice on Sunday. Thats the whole point of playing. Punch your ticket. Going 2-10 and continuing to start a 37 year old QB in decline is a waste IMO.

Comment

I would hope the asst coaches would be more of a head coach thing. How do beach coach firing usually work? The giants kept everybody basically after t.c.. I felt like that was kinda odd.
                              Yep, that's why I occasionally bring up this Henry and Gilbride Jr.. But who will be left, to do the firing, other than the F.O.?

Comment

Working...
                              X