Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Giants' owner John Mara regret firing Tom Coughlin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it wasn’t a bad time to let him go, but Reese should have gone at the same time. We also know Mara cringes at the very thought of his mistake in hiring the greaser.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post

How can you say a 11-5 season and playoff game is a wasted season. I dont care if we have the worst offense in the league or worst defense in the league. We were good enough for an 11-5 record and a postseason birth. Id take that every day and twice on Sunday. Thats the whole point of playing. Punch your ticket.
      I was pretty clear as to why. We wasted a year of our defense being great by putting a putrid offense on the field. Now BOTH sides suck because we didn't learn a damn thing from that. We could have gotten much farther than we did with a better offense.

Sorry, but getting to the playoffs and losing in the first round is hardly a successful year. We just didn't have a losing record.
      I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

He probably regrets hiring MCAdoo, not firing Tom. Coughlin was not coaching well here when the doors closed. If he would have accepted a VP role in the office, then thats another thing.

Comment

I know the owners would like to show people around the game that the NY Giants are a classy organization by promoting from within for the GM and HC jobs but I think if there ever was a time to go outside to fix those jobs its right now because what this team needs is fresh thinking and new ideas ...
          Last edited by JesseJames; 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

It was wrong to fire Coughlin given that no other changes were made - not even to the coaching staff!!

it would have been right to fire Coughlin if they actually hired external and brought in a new coaching staff.

so given how they operate the right decision was to keep Coughlin until the perceived end of the Eli era.

and I say that as someone who wanted Coughlin out
            Last edited by TE88; 12-07-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I think it was time when Coughlin was let go. It sucked that he really couldn't go out on his terms, but it was time. As another poster pointed out though, they really should have done the overhaul at that point of the entire coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
                It was wrong to hire Coughlin given that no other changes were made - not even to the coaching staff!!

it would have been right to fire Coughlin if they actually hired external and brought in a new coaching staff.

so given how they operate the right decision was to keep Coughlin until the perceived end of the Eli era.

and I say that as someone who wanted Coughlin out
                Coughlin blew a few easy wins with very poor end of game coaching decisions, and I'm not being a Monday morning know it all. He said he didn't even see what Beckham was up to, in that Carolina game.
                And I say that as someone who loved how he handled things and what he did for our team in the years before that.

Comment

Should have let Eli go. O-line excuses need to stop. Ball is in Eli's hands most of the time before any other player gets it other than the C..

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post

The offense was still putrid last season. We won 11 games because of our defense. If the offense was half as good as the defense, we could've been contenders. Wasted year.
                    Same could be said in reverse for the previous year.
                    Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post
                      I don't think that was the obvious question at all. The obvious question was why didn't he clean house 2 ****ING YEARS AGO!!?? A lot of us predicted this entire thing then. Wasted 2 years. We could be that much farther ahead now, instead of much worse.

Mara is a dumbass.
                      I'm with you on this one. We needed to clean house, which looks like it's getting rectified this year.

Comment

Why should he regret it? It was a good time to let him go. He gave him 2 MORE SEASONS to right the ship after that hideous 2013 season. It didn't work out, so he was dismissed. He hired the wrong person to assume the watch, but he let go of TC at the right time. That was an absolute dumb *** question to ask Mr. Mara.
                        If you respect others, they will respect you.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondring View Post
                          Should have let Eli go. O-line excuses need to stop. Ball is in Eli's hands most of the time before any other player gets it other than the C..
                          The O-line is horrible, and maybe the worst in the league, regardless of how good or bad Eli is. Unless the Giants VASTLY improve the offensive line, they will continue to be cellar dwellers.

Comment

I think they fired TC just to appease angry fans due to the fact that they missed the playoffs for four straight seasons at the time. They had to do something to maintain an heir of relevance and legitimacy, not making the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons doens't look good but I think a lot of it had to do with bad rosters, injuries and TC being too loyal to his stubborn coordinators (like Fewell). This might be why the kept nearly everyone else on the coaching staff. They had a good staff but were desperately lacking on defense and on the O-line. In hindsight they should've not changed a thing aside from maybe Reese. I mean even with a horrid O-line the offense was pretty explosive in 2014 and 2015. Imagine that TC-McAdoo offense with last seasons Defense? They probably would've gotten a few more wins.

Comment

So the real question is does John Mara regret not firing Jerry Reese two season ago to go out along with Tom Coughlin?...

Comment

I loved TC, that being said, it was time to move on IMO. However, the day TC left was the very same day Reese shoulda been shown the door as well. Oh well... its done now.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X