Safety Has Sacrificed Stats By Switching Positions When Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jomo View Post
    That career you envisioned as a players' agent needs to be put on hold. You sound like a flat out GM on the other side of the negotiating table. lol
    I've been on both sides, employer is far more easy on the nerves.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
      I'm not blaming him at all, but we could have spent our money wiser.
      That rear view mirror sure can be crystal clear. Understand the context of what went down that off season. We were coming off a miserable season at safety and Kenny Phillips was coming off very complicated knee surgery. We had to overhaul the safety position in a big way. The available safeties in free agency were not that great and in short supply. It was also a completely different salary cap environment where the cap dollars were growing every year. GM's had a view that they could grow into many contracts.

Enter Rolle, an all pro into that mix and you know why we paid what we did. There wasn't much choice at that moment.
      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

thats what I mean....when it comes to players salaries its not a "we" thing. Its a Giants org thing.
        Rolle was on the teans that won two SBs. If he wasnt on the team everythng would have been different and maybe those two wins dont happen.
        Not saying he was soley resposible but he wa spart of the whole team. One change in the puzzle and that can or would have changed everything. Maybe for the better or maybe for the worse....
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Either we trust Reese to not overpay, which I do, or we don't. Once the contract is signed there is no script for players to follow. They get on the field and, hopefully, do the best they can.
          Last edited by RoanokeFan; 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
            Rolle's talent compared to CC Brown's is commensurate to the money he is paid compared to the money we paid CC Brown.
            Knowing what we know now I don't think he would have received that offer. He's good safety, but he doesn't have CB cover skills and in fact his safety coverage skills aren't as good as we thought.
            Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              Either we trust Reese to not overpay, which I do, or we don't. Once the contract is signed there is no script for players to follow. The get on the field and, hopefully, do the best they can.
              I don't trust him, at least not on defense when Reese is dealing with new free agent talent. I think we overpaid for Canty, Boley, and Rolle.

I do trust JR to resign players that have played for us and are negotiating new contracts, so I know we won't overpay Rolle again.
              Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

Comment

I don't trust him, at least not on defense when Reese is dealing with new free agent talent. I think we overpaid for Canty, Boley, and Rolle.

I do trust JR to resign players that have played for us and are negotiating new contracts, so I know we won't overpay Rolle again.
                overall seems to have worked out though
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  overall seems to have worked out though
                  If you're just looking at the results then Reese is flawless.
                  Last edited by B&RWarrior; 06-30-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

If you just looking at the results then Reese is flawless.
                    for me thats the bottom line. Dont care how the team got there but they got there with SB wins 2x in the last 6 seasons.

No body is flawless but why complain, other then for the sake of debate, when the desired results are attained.

Comment

I think every GM used to over pay every free agent (from another team). That is how the crazy economics of this league used to work. It has improved during this past off season but stars who blossom, especially non first rounders, in their first 4 years are going to be severely underpaid like Cruz and guys with some resume like Canty are going to be greatly overpaid. I think the new system is in the process of trimming that up, at least with regards to ordinary (non starts) free agents.
                      No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

It's easy to criticize after the fact.

Comment

If you just looking at the results then Reese is flawless.
                          what else matters besides winning championships? the numbers are for the front office people to worry about not us fans

Comment

Lol. This guy talks more than anyone on the team but somehow gets a pass because they ask him to play more than one position. Rooting for him because he is on the team and they need him, but this guy doe a a lot of talking. Most of the big plays hat the defense Ives up seem o have him trailing the play because he bit or was lost. He needs to play a lot better no matter where they ask him to play. Don't dislike him, but he makes a ton of money and didn't play well last year. They need him to play big this year.

Comment

I do not agree with the notion that Rolle's natural position is a deep safety, even if Rolle himself thinks that is the case.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                                Lol. This guy talks more than anyone on the team but somehow gets a pass because they ask him to play more than one position. Rooting for him because he is on the team and they need him, but this guy doe a a lot of talking. Most of the big plays hat the defense Ives up seem o have him trailing the play because he bit or was lost. He needs to play a lot better no matter where they ask him to play. Don't dislike him, but he makes a ton of money and didn't play well last year. They need him to play big this year.
                                We need them all to play big

Comment

Working...
                                X