Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuck says Giants need to have the mindset of the '80s D...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuck says Giants need to have the mindset of the '80s D...

It's something that's obvious and sorely lacking. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about "flicking the switch" every year...

TUCK: “[We have] to kind of get away from that and approach the game in a way that those '80’s teams did with [Lawrence Taylor] and all those guys. They went out into a game trying to kill an offense and not give them anything,” Tuck continued. “We have to get back to that on defense. I don’t care if our offense puts up 40 points a game. We have to put up six.”

IMO, if the D doesn't produce this year, then it's time for at least a new DC and probably a major overhaul of that unit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...le-of-carrying

This shold be good.

Comment

I agree but....I don't think you can play like the 80's anymore cause the passing game is so deadly now.

I do think we need to blitz a little more to give our front four help sometimes.
      sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

Last year I don't think we could've done that cause of all the injuries in the secondary.

Comment

The Giants need to win 12 games in 2013 and the Super Bowl in 2014.

Refer to my sig....
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
            I agree but....I don't think you can play like the 80's anymore cause the passing game is so deadly now.

I do think we need to blitz a little more to give our front four help sometimes.
            The D may just not have the talent that we had all thought, or hoped, existed, but there's just something in this unit's language, body language, and stated mentality that just screams "not tough" to me. They just don't carry themselves a certain way. If the D of the '80s lost some of these games and gave up big yardage like this modern unit does, they'd be mad at themselves and clawing to get back onto the field the following week to make someone pay. They wouldn't be talking about resting on the shoulders of the O.

I like Tuck, but they need some players with the "your not going to get anything on us" mental attitude. Tuck talks a good game, but...

Comment

I'm guessing he means the intensity of the 80's.
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by JJC7301 View Post
                The D may just not have the talent that we had all thought, or hoped, existed, but there's just something in this unit's language, body language, and stated mentality that just screams "not tough" to me. They just don't carry themselves a certain way. If the D of the '80s lost some of these games and gave up big yardage like this modern unit does, they'd be mad at themselves and clawing to get back onto the field the following week to make someone pay. They wouldn't be talking about resting on the shoulders of the O.

I like Tuck, but they need some players with the "your not going to get anything on us" mental attitude. Tuck talks a good game, but...
                I think most of us feel that way cause these guys either have a sb ring or have 2.

Now it's like they just go through the motions. It's almost like the play like they are to cool. Even in 2011 they were bad until the playoffs started. Every game it seem like the waited till the were losing to turn up their defense. They tried to do the same this year and it bit them in their, you know what.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                  I'm guessing he means the intensity of the 80's.
                  I don't even think you can play with that intensity now. You can't even touch the quarterbacks.You can make the big hit that sets the tone for a defense. You can't lay a hair on a wr anymore.

It's funny that this is coming from a guy like Tuck to who set the tone last year saying "that it sucks playing RG3 and running quarterbacks" If they want to play with more intensity then they can start by not having the captain praising a rookie quarterback.

Comment

I don't even think you can play with that intensity now. You can't even touch the quarterbacks.You can make the big hit that sets the tone for a defense. You can't lay a hair on a wr anymore.

It funny that it's coming from a guy like Tuck to who set the tone last year saying "that it sucks playing RG3 and running quarterbacks" If they want to play with more intensity then they can start by not having the captain praising a rookie quarterback.
                    Playing with heart and determination

Comment

Originally posted by JJC7301 View Post
                      It's something that's obvious and sorely lacking. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about "flicking the switch" every year...

TUCK: “[We have] to kind of get away from that and approach the game in a way that those '80’s teams did with [Lawrence Taylor] and all those guys. They went out into a game trying to kill an offense and not give them anything,” Tuck continued. “We have to get back to that on defense. I don’t care if our offense puts up 40 points a game. We have to put up six.”

IMO, if the D doesn't produce this year, then it's time for at least a new DC and probably a major overhaul of that unit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...le-of-carrying
                      YES!

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

yeah your probably right. That's pretty sad if this team has to play with more of both those things.

Comment

yeah your probably right. That's pretty sad if this team has to play with more of both those things.
                          It's not sad if they do it You can't rely on those two rings and expect that to get you a third or fourth. You have to EARN them by playing every game as though it matters, because every game does matter.

Comment

I think it's the scheme. They're a bunch of ******* since Fewell became DC.
                            Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

It's not sad if they do it You can't rely on those two rings and expect that to get you a third or fourth. You have to EARN them by playing every game as though it matters, because every game does matter.
                              +1. I miss having a D in which I can laugh as the opposing O tries and fails to complete 1st downs.

Comment

Working...
                              X