Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants interim GM Kevin Abrams says playing Davis Webb this season ‘an ongoing conversation’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    Are we going to spend a #1 on an unproven QB when we might have our next starting QB on the bench?
    That would be bad use of assets at our finger tips......or worse.
    I agreed with this wholeheartedly in October. Evaluating Webb for two months would have been beneficial in determining what we do in the 2018 draft. Evaluating him for two games is pretty much useless, IMO.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

      Well the common retort to "why aren't we putting Webb in?" months ago when we established that we are one of the worst teams in the NFL with the second worst offense was, "you can't throw Webb in there!"

      My point since October is why aren't we preparing Webb to start?

      Striking up that conversation in week 15 is beyond pathetic (with respect to this organization, not the fans).

      As for Eli in 2004... I don't remember the plan being to throw him in there when we were 5-4, in the playoff hunt still, about to face several top 5 defenses.
      My point is that Eli was not thrown in. He and he organization were preparing to have him be put in as the starting QB from day 1. No such thoughts had been had about Webb until far too late


      and you’re absolutely right about not getting Webb ready sooner and that this problem dates truly back to the beginning of the season. 100% correct. Instead of developing their 3rd round pick, he Giants chose to keep Geno Smith on the roster and give Geno the #2 reps and preparation. But there is no way to just in-do that in 2 weeks. Webb will be prepared to play and will get in probably a little bit in he next couple games but that is all that is realistic to hope for

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

        Evaluating him for two games is pretty much useless, IMO.
        ...which is why I don't understand why we're still talking about this.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by TE88 View Post

          My point is that Eli was not thrown in. He and he organization were preparing to have him be put in as the starting QB from day 1. No such thoughts had been had about Webb until far too late
          I disagree with this. I do not believe the intention was for Eli to be our starter in 2004. At least not halfway through the season. I fully believe we drafted him to be the 2005 and beyond starter. To learn behind Warner in 2004.

          The Giants, I believe, started 4-1 or 5-0 in 2004. Really hot. Then they hit a bad losing skid to end up at 5-4. While the offense looked rattled. Coughlin made the change to Eli to switch it up.

          Had we stayed on course for a 10-6 or 12-4 type of season, no way Eli sees the field as a starter in 2004. He wasn't being prepared to start from day 1.


          and you’re absolutely right about not getting Webb ready sooner and that this problem dates truly back to the beginning of the season. 100% correct. Instead of developing their 3rd round pick, he Giants chose to keep Geno Smith on the roster and give Geno the #2 reps and preparation. But there is no way to just in-do that in 2 weeks. Webb will be prepared to play and will get in probably a little bit in he next couple games but that is all that is realistic to hope for
          Exactly. And to circle back to your stance... at the very least we should have made the switch after 9 games (like Eli in 2004) when we were 1 and freaking 8 and give Webb two months of evaluation and learning experience.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

            ...which is why I don't understand why we're still talking about this.
            The reasons I'm mentioning it still is so I can be a disgruntled Giants fan since October about the p*ss poor handling of the situation and to continually point out how incompetent our organization is. Even after Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber were fired.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

              The reasons I'm mentioning it still is so I can be a disgruntled Giants fan since October about the p*ss poor handling of the situation and to continually point out how incompetent our organization is. Even after Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber were fired.
              Fair enough. I guess I'm just somebody who prefers to look toward the future rather than grousing about the past. I've tried to open conversations in the past about Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, etc. Maybe one or two people respond. The rest are busy on the important issues...Why wasn't Davis Webb made the #2 QB in week 1? Why wasn't Davis Webb promoted past Geno Smith mid-season? Should we completely blow up this organization because of it? I mean, it's really gotten THAT ridiculous...posters calling for firings because the team didn't have a late-third round QB pick ready to be trotted out in front of the fans.

              So, anyway...Rosen or Darnold - which one is better?

              Comment


              • #67
                Let's see... we are 0-5...1-8... the score is 36-3 @ halftime or some other horse**** score we've had...do we put in Webb for playing time/experience, or leave Eli out there...OH!, that's right we didn't even make Webb active for the game...More B/S from a Giants GM/HC ..but we're still talking about putting him in, sorry...allowing him suited, on the sideline of a Professional NFL Game @ 2-11..He's SUCH a secret weapon, event the Giants don't know about him..
                Last edited by foxie; 12-15-2017, 02:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

                  So, anyway...Rosen or Darnold - which one is better?
                  As it translates to the NFL? Eventually Rosen is my guess.

                  But if we're putting it in perspective.... I don't want the Giants drafting either.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

                    then there are the guys who break it all down and compartmentalize people as if they are not part of the stew

                    I've done nothing but bring facts to the situation

                    none of this is my opinion other than my feelings that he will play eventually
                    The way you've made this sound is that the Giants are fools in the way they handled their quarterbacks this year, and they will be fools if they choose to play Davis Webb this year as he clearly is not ready.

                    That tells me John, Chris Mara, and everyone else in the organization are fools for wanting to see Davis play since you would think, that they would have at least as good a handle on his football team as you. Am I wrong?

                    As for where I stand, I've made my opinion known despite my limited knowledge of the game.

                    I've seen Eli run this offense as well as Geno Smith. I'm not scared of Davis running this offense to the best of his capabilities. I'm truly not. And I must admit that I'm now curious to see if he'll be as terrible as you've led us to believe.

                    One last thing. I would imagine the Giants will have a plan in place that if Davis was to struggle mightily, they can replace him with Eli or even Geno.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

                      So what? Let him use the card.

                      They managed to play him in pre-season. Just do whatever they did then. The things to see are his pocket awareness, arm strength, mental sharpness etc. We're not trying to win the frigging super bowl with him.

                      If this is truly so complicated, then it boggles the mind.
                      he very well may be using the card when he gets some snaps ... he may have to

                      they don't want him to of course ... you want your QB to be a little more prepared within the system while getting live bullets ideally ... just for everyones safety more than anything else ... but he may indeed have to use the card

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Start Eli that is fine but the kid should be dressed and active and if the Eagles Spank us early which is very likely then give him a few series

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

                          The way you've made this sound is that the Giants are fools in the way they handled their quarterbacks this year, and they will be fools if they choose to play Davis Webb this year as he clearly is not ready.

                          That tells me John, Chris Mara, and everyone else in the organization are fools for wanting to see Davis play since you would think, that they would have at least as good a handle on his football team as you. Am I wrong?

                          As for where I stand, I've made my opinion known despite my limited knowledge of the game.

                          I've seen Eli run this offense as well as Geno Smith. I'm not scared of Davis running this offense to the best of his capabilities. I'm truly not. And I must admit that I'm now curious to see if he'll be as terrible as you've led us to believe.

                          One last thing. I would imagine the Giants will have a plan in place that if Davis was to struggle mightily, they can replace him with Eli or even Geno.
                          the reason John even mentioned it to coach McAdoo was so that he could start preparing Davis to take some live bullet snaps ... which would take weeks at the very least to simply get some packages prepared that they would feel comfortable with him handling and commanding.

                          in no way did Mara think he could mention it to coach and have Webb play the following week ... he is not that naive

                          he also never expected the team to have to prepare him to start ... he knows that is really not an option ... there is simply not enough time left in the season to prepare him to start ... as I've said since August he should have been #2 from jump street and we would have seen him by now

                          when and if he does get in ... no he probably won't look terrible because he will be playing within prepared packages for him ... if they threw him out there with a wide open offense you would see a deer in the headlights ... 100% ... the kid isn't even prepared to call plays and you think he can command the entire offense ?

                          he will be fine in his limited packages ... I hope so at least because I really like the kid

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Sicko View Post
                            Start Eli that is fine but the kid should be dressed and active and if the Eagles Spank us early which is very likely then give him a few series
                            not a chance they dress him against the Eagles ... he's not ready

                            and they do not want to see him against that pass rush

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

                              So what? Let him use the card.

                              They managed to play him in pre-season. Just do whatever they did then. The things to see are his pocket awareness, arm strength, mental sharpness etc. We're not trying to win the frigging super bowl with him.

                              If this is truly so complicated, then it boggles the mind.
                              clap clap clap. Amen. Sue me cuz I want to see how the kid reacts out there. His pocket presence. Does he have happy feet? Can he zip it in there? Can he execute a screen? Is he accurate? I'm not concerned with scoring or winning. The team under Eli currently does neither of those, so why can't we just see something new? The current game plan SUCKS .. I repeat sucks.

                              Theres more to this now with the backlash from the fans wanting to cling to Eli. Ownership is gunshy now. You also have Spags under this delusion that he has a chance to keep this job next year so he wants to play Eli every down unless told not to. The whole situation stinks

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by StewieZ View Post
                                YA do you have any inside info to offer us Or any clues to the situation of whether or not he will or will not play at some point this year?
                                I have no inside information as to whether they will or will not play him ... but I do know that they are in escalated preparation to try to get him ready to take live snaps without having to lean on much of a crutch so he can go out and play freely without thinking too much

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X