Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog Bits: Johnathan Hankins

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6323

Excerpt: "Of all the rookie draft picks, Hankins seems to be in the best position to contribute out of the chute. Possessing excellent size, “Big Hank” has done a fine job of creating congestion against the run, at times drawing holding from those he faces. It will be interesting to see how far along he really is, though, once the pads go on this summer.

Q. It’s early, but it looks like you’re starting to create some issues for offensive linemen, some of whom look like they’re starting to resort to holding you in practice. Where are you right now in your grasp of the playbook?
    A: It’s starting to slow down. I’m starting to get the schemes and the plays, and more importantly working on my technique. It’s all starting to come together. I’ve been working with Coach (Robert Nunn) and the other guys, so I’m pretty happy with the progress I’ve made so far. Still more to do, but it’s coming along.

Q: Did you have to change your technique much from college to this level?
    A: Yes, I would say the biggest thing has been using both hands, put both hands down on each side. I’ve been working on that a lot more and just learning the technique overall that coach wants us to play at the position.

Q: Everyone learns at a different rate. With that said, can you offer some insight into how the coaches have approached teaching the scheme and the plays to you guys? Is it one play today, then three variations of that play, or just a handful of different plays?
    A: First they tell you the play, the foundation of it – what you have to do, where you have to be at, and that sort of thing. Then each time you learn a different aspect of the play, the variations. For me, I feel like it’s been pretty easy. I don’t feel like they’ve thrown a lot at me to where my head is spinning, know what I mean? The defense is pretty much the same as it was at Ohio State – the terminology is a little different, but I’m catching on pretty good.

Q: Have any of the veterans stepped up to take you under his wing?
    A: All of them give a lot of tips on what to do and what not to do. I’m very thankful for all the advice I’ve gotten. Shaun Rogers and Linval and Marvin Austin have really been helping me out most since they’re interior guys." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

This guy is easily the one i'm most excited to see into preseason! I hope he becomes a beast!!!

ahhaah @ Marvin Austin giving him pointers... pfffff might as well take advice from a bum.

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
      This guy is easily the one i'm most excited to see into preseason! I hope he becomes a beast!!!

ahhaah @ Marvin Austin giving him pointers... pfffff might as well take advice from a bum.
      He seems to be the only pick at this point even hinted at for a starter. I thought it was an interesting comment that some of the OLinemen were resorting to holding him
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
        He seems to be the only pick at this point even hinted at for a starter. I thought it was an interesting comment that some of the OLinemen were resorting to holding him
        I agree. I dont know if that is alarming or amazing...

He is physically a monster but he is still a rookie. it makes me uneasy. Hopefully, its just that he is just way to strong.

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
          I agree. I dont know if that is alarming or amazing...

He is physically a monster but he is still a rookie. it makes me uneasy. Hopefully, its just that he is just way to strong.
          Quality rotation maybe

Comment

Big Hank is the next Jonas Searight....

The stars reach for Big Hank
            Big Hank once hit a 5 RBI grand slam, playing basketball.
            WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Please keep Marvin Austin away from him!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                Please keep Marvin Austin away from him!!!!
                lol. Hankins is already more "pro" ready than Austin is.
                sigpic

Comment

more likely is a reflection of our Oline's ineptness
                  Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                    more likely is a reflection of our Oline's ineptness
                    That's what i'm afraid of.
                    Is he pwning the likes of David Diehl?

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

David Diehl isn't likely blocking Big Hank. With Boothe, Baas, and Snee limited or non-participating, he is going against guys like Brewer, Mosley, McCants, Cordle, Herman, etc. I'm thinking we don't have a lot of talent on the deep end of the offensive line.
                      Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

But really, they haven't even been in pads yet. So I don't think it means much this early.
                        Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

David Diehl isn't likely blocking Big Hank. With Boothe, Baas, and Snee limited or non-participating, he is going against guys like Brewer, Mosley, McCants, Cordle, Herman, etc. I'm thinking we don't have a lot of talent on the deep end of the offensive line.
                          Plus, so far it's been little more than walking through the plays.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            Plus, so far it's been little more than walking through the plays.
                            Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

But our Oline needs to work on their holding skills.
                            Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

But our Oline needs to work on their holding skills.
                              LOL I think the fundamentals have been hurt by the practice restrictions brought about by the new CBA.

Comment

Working...
                              X