Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants top 5 overrated/underrated players

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rrated-players

Not the same thing as that Gifford/Tiki video... in fact, Gifford and Tiki aren't even mentioned.

Overall, I can get behind this list. I especially like the nod to Joe Morrison, who was basically the Jamaal Charles of the 1960s/70s. I'm not so sure that Jacobs belongs on the list of overrated (he did have a couple 1000 yard seasons), especially since his treatment by Jim Harbaugh is what led him to lash out in SF, but I'm willing to allow it, though I'd rather put a guy like Wheatley (although since most of us hate him already you can't really call him overrated) or Simms (who had one super exceptional game that happened to be a super bowl, and later watched as his freaking backup won another) as a #4 or #5 overrated...

PS: I'll take bets on how long it's going to take for Morehead to post "I have a serious problem with this list"...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 07-04-2013, 05:11 PM.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

It's an ok list imho. I do not think Dayne belongs on the "overrated" list simply because I do not know any Giant fan that remembers him fondly. How can a guy who is generally considered a dud also be considered overrated?

Your mention of Simms is way off too. I understand you don't like him and you have made that clear in other threads. But, overrated? No. He played in an era that didn't pass the ball much, for a team with bad WRs, for a ball control/ defensive coach, in a stadium that was the most difficult stadium in the NFL to throw the ball (old Giants stadium) and he still put up some pretty good numbers. I do not think he belongs in the hall as a player, but he was a very good NFL QB and a perfect fit for what we did under Parcells.
    sigpic

Comment

I definitely see nothing wrong with that list.

I would have added Rich Seubert to the underrated list

I love that Joe Morrison is on there......he in my opinion is the greatest Giant of all time and an unsung hero.

he lined up anywhere and everywhere on the field ...offense , defense and special teams ...... played his tail off every snap of every game

he was a complete team guy ...never said a word.....ever!!!!....and gave the NY Giants every ounce of his blood sweat and tears for 14 seasons and never wore another uniform

....and you wanna talk about tough????......look no further than Joe....the toughest SOB to ever come down the pike ......book it ....tough as a bucket of rusty nails I promise you that ....but quiet as a mouse

they just don't make 'em like Joe anymore

the epitome of what a NY Giant should be

the Greatest Giant ever
      Last edited by YATittle1962; 07-04-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post

I love that Joe Morrison is on there......he in my opinion is the greatest Giant of all time and an unsung hero.

he lined up anywhere and everywhere on the field ...offense , defense and special teams ...... played his tail off every snap of every game

he was a complete team guy ...never said a word.....ever!!!!....and gave the NY Giants every ounce of his blood sweat and tears for 14 seasons and never wore another uniform

....and you wanna talk about tough????......look no further than Joe....the toughest SOB to ever come down the pike ......book it ....tough as a bucket of rusty nails I promise you that ....but quiet as a mouse

the Greatest Giant ever
        Great description of a great Giant!

Comment

the Greatest Giant ever
          I have heard you speak in glowing terms about Morrison in the past and agreed with every word.
          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

When I was looking at the Frank/Tiki thread, my old mind went right by Joe Morrison when thinking about the underrated players. YA..62 nailed it.

Comment

I disagree that Chase is underrated. I think most of us believe that he gets the most out of his God given talent and he served us well while he was here. That said, it is not just the Giants who think he's ordinary. The entire league feels that way and it was reflected in the contract he just signed. I don't want to diminish a good guy in any way but I think most of us have him rated just about right which is right smack in the middle of "ordinary."

Comment

well to be fair, if you look at articles on overrated giants players, and overrated players all time, Simms is usually on the list, just to be brutally honest. Its something I noticed but didnt want to say bc i disagree with that premise he was overrated. it just seems to be an opinion others share for whatever reason

Comment

the Greatest Giant ever
                  I got to watch him for the last couple yrs of his career....My father used to tell me how great he was....thanks YA for helping me to see that maybe after all these years that my father did know what he was talking about...
                  "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

the Greatest Giant ever
                    Agree completely. There has never been a player as versatile as Joe Morrison. The only positions I don't recall him playing (and playing well) are Offensive and Defensive Line, Punter, and Place Kicker. Also Long Snapper, but I bet he could have handled it just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by fansince69 View Post
                      I got to watch him for the last couple yrs of his career....My father used to tell me how great he was....thanks YA for helping me to see that maybe after all these years that my father did know what he was talking about...
                      your old man knew what he was talking about

Joe was a great college coach as well......I can still see him on the sidelines in all black

he even had his teams wear black

I'm pretty sure he is the reason that black jerseys are popular in todays college game ....Joe was the first to do it

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                        well to be fair, if you look at articles on overrated giants players, and overrated players all time, Simms is usually on the list, just to be brutally honest. Its something I noticed but didnt want to say bc i disagree with that premise he was overrated. it just seems to be an opinion others share for whatever reason
                        Besides talk of the clueless, please LINK to those articles you are referring to. Thanks.
                        Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

OJ Anderson? Sorry, but he was garbage. He was great for us because he would get a solid 3 yards every carry, but he wasn't anything special. When he was on the Cardinals, different story. He'd get 1k yards because he's carry it a million times a game.
                          http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                          http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                          http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

OK, so I went back and read this article and the author really was talking about the 5 ALLTIME most underrated and overrated players. He said that Chase Blackburn is one of the ALLTIME most underrated Giants. And I say............this author has no credibility. Plain and simple, alltime has nothing to do with this week. The rest of the discussion on this thread is interesting and useful but the author of this article..................whatever...............I am in a kind and generous mood tonight.

Comment

Back in the day...my then girlfriend's son would ask me to play video games with him, I think it was on a Sega Genesis.

I of course always played as the Giants, and quickly found if you put Megget in the backfield and ran sweeps, you were damn hard to beat.

The guy could fly in real life and in a video game!

Fun Fact: Delicreep has not played a video game since then!
                              Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

Working...
                              X