Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli/Webb/Geno question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Harooni View Post

    dont be so naive , he fired reese and mc when he did for damage control, mara has more control than many realize. next so what if eli came out, what if it was preseason you wouldnt care if we are winning or losing right? well we are eliminated its like a preseason game, win doesn't matter.
    Except that the players care. And, that's a good thing.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post

      I think he was more going ok you cit3d a random cliche that is tech true.

      but nevertheless irrelevant. Are you talking physical or figurative steps. A physical journey begins with a first step yes. True. But playing qb is not alike walking from NJ to Florida and the journey takes that first step.

      but if you meant it figuratively that first step could be anything. The end result desired is a competent effective qb. The first step towards that could very well be NOT subjecting him to meaningless games with this OL.

      I am not saying eli is our guy forever I am saying...


      you are citing a figurative cliche with the decision making process where people's livelihood is at stake. Pretty sure it would be hard to tell the d or the wr trying to make a name "hey. First step is the hardest right just let us experiment with this ill prepared rookie."
      Couple things:

      Ever wonder how things become cliches*? Generally speaking, it's because they prove to be true a surprising number of times.
      All rookies take that first step...it is uncomfortable and more importantly, unavoidable. Those WR and the D you are so worried about? Every single one of them had that first step.
      And nobody's livelihood is put in jeopardy by giving Webb a few series.











      *But speaking of cliches, I'm give you a good one that fits this perfectly: "getting all your ducks in a row" first. Now you are certainly thinking that this is a reason to not start Webb, but that's not how ducks and life work. At a certain point in their upbringing, the mother duck no longer gets them in a row before moving...she just leaves and the ducklings need to apply what they know and follow her without coaching. And there is correction that is applied if they don't, and the lesson is learned.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post


        It made sense in the context of what we saw from Eli and our offense. But not based on yesterday's performance.

        The Giants clearly need to figure out why Eli and our offense looked so much better in this game.


        Even a blind squirrel can find nuts. It was one game. Our offense has been terrible for 2 years. One showing doesn't do a whole lot to convince me.
        http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
        http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
        http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

        Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

          Except that the players care. And, that's a good thing.
          ok so why do the players not care during preseason . but care once eliminated? kinda doesnt make sense.

          Comment


          • #35
            Putting a backup QB in when a game is out of reach, or when your team has the win locked up, is not without precedent. In fact, you see it quite often. Most teams do it so their starter doesn't get injured during garbage time... yet here, it is sacrilegious to even suggest such a thing.

            What Mac did, putting Gino in made absolutely no sense at all. That time should have been used, not to see what Webb can do, but to introduce him to the speed of an NFL game, and see if he can handle that. Stats in that scenario are irrelevant, what matters is how he composes himself.

            It seems everyone here feels that since Eli had a good game, we now know who our starter is next year. Personally, I am not buying that. There is little doubt that the Giants will be drafting a QB with the 2nd pick in the draft. IMO, by the end of next season, that draft pick will step in as the starter, just as Eli did his rookie year. You don't have to be an "Eli hater" to see it, it's the natural progression of an NFL career. In the end, it isn't about Eli, it's about the Giants... We can all appreciate what he has done for the franchise, but when he is no longer the best option, we have to move on.
            My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by brad View Post
              Putting a backup QB in when a game is out of reach, or when your team has the win locked up, is not without precedent. In fact, you see it quite often. Most teams do it so their starter doesn't get injured during garbage time... yet here, it is sacrilegious to even suggest such a thing.

              What Mac did, putting Gino in made absolutely no sense at all. That time should have been used, not to see what Webb can do, but to introduce him to the speed of an NFL game, and see if he can handle that. Stats in that scenario are irrelevant, what matters is how he composes himself.

              It seems everyone here feels that since Eli had a good game, we now know who our starter is next year. Personally, I am not buying that. There is little doubt that the Giants will be drafting a QB with the 2nd pick in the draft. IMO, by the end of next season, that draft pick will step in as the starter, just as Eli did his rookie year. You don't have to be an "Eli hater" to see it, it's the natural progression of an NFL career. In the end, it isn't about Eli, it's about the Giants... We can all appreciate what he has done for the franchise, but when he is no longer the best option, we have to move on.
              brad the whole plan was for geno not to start. the only reason he did was when Eli wouldnt be a team player and refused. then of course webb cant be the starter it has to be geno since he has the most experience. and then work webb in. however we never got past 1 week before mannings and the fans got ben and reese fired prematurely.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Harooni View Post

                brad the whole plan was for geno not to start. the only reason he did was when Eli wouldnt be a team player and refused. then of course webb cant be the starter it has to be geno since he has the most experience. and then work webb in. however we never got past 1 week before mannings and the fans got ben and reese fired prematurely.
                What are you talking about? Mara said that the firings had noting to do with the handling of the Eli situation.

                You don't believe him?

                Please explain how Eli starting the first half of a game, then being pulled in the second half no matter what the game situation, benefits the team in any way whatsoever.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Harooni View Post

                  brad the whole plan was for geno not to start. the only reason he did was when Eli wouldnt be a team player and refused. then of course webb cant be the starter it has to be geno since he has the most experience. and then work webb in. however we never got past 1 week before mannings and the fans got ben and reese fired prematurely.
                  I would think you are an intelligent person. Mc, Reese and Mara knew that Eli would not accept that stupid proposal. Mara wanted the streak broken so he would never have to deal with it again. His plan of Mc taking the heat for it blew up in his face. If he didnít want the streak broken he would have fired Mc before the Oakland game. They would have been smarter if they made Webb active for that game. I believe your comments about the Mannings and the fans are an attempt to rile up the people on these boards.
                  Engage brain before speaking.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I really believe that starting Geno was a last ditch effort for Mac to save his job. Webb would have been another immobile QB. He needed a mobile qb to help buy time from this oline to show that the problem was Eli. It backfired..

                    Or he knew he was going to get fired and breaking Eliís streak was his parting gift.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by speedman View Post

                      I would think you are an intelligent person. Mc, Reese and Mara knew that Eli would not accept that stupid proposal. Mara wanted the streak broken so he would never have to deal with it again. His plan of Mc taking the heat for it blew up in his face. If he didnít want the streak broken he would have fired Mc before the Oakland game. They would have been smarter if they made Webb active for that game. I believe your comments about the Mannings and the fans are an attempt to rile up the people on these boards.
                      we were eliminated , it was not this outrageous plan that one would think would cause an uproar about. the only misstep was to pacify eli and his huge fan base that it was not a benching that it was to only evaluate the other qb's we also have to consider who is #2 you know.

                      you are assuming they knew eli would refuse to start, im telling you they didnt think he would say no as long as his streak was in tact. so the original plan foolish or not depending on how you look at it was not for geno to start any games. and to see both geno and webb at some point.

                      so now you fans got what you wanted and still 2 more loses, smh,
                      Last edited by Harooni; 12-19-2017, 08:02 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

                        What are you talking about? Mara said that the firings had noting to do with the handling of the Eli situation.

                        You don't believe him?

                        Please explain how Eli starting the first half of a game, then being pulled in the second half no matter what the game situation, benefits the team in any way whatsoever.
                        mara is a liar. the timing of the firings was all about backlash over Eli. and the same benefit we get from preseason games when we pull starters out, we get the young guys experience and evaluate them. its no different we are eliminated.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          [QUOTE=DarkSaint;n3037261]I really believe that starting Geno was a last ditch effort for Mac to save his job. Webb would have been another immobile QB. He needed a mobile qb to help buy time from this oline to show that the problem was Eli. It backfired..

                          Or he knew he was going to get fired and breaking Eliís streak was his parting gift.[/QUOTE]

                          If thatís true I hope McAdoo never gets a job again in the NFL. Spiteful *******

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            [QUOTE=primetime;n3037288]
                            Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                            I really believe that starting Geno was a last ditch effort for Mac to save his job. Webb would have been another immobile QB. He needed a mobile qb to help buy time from this oline to show that the problem was Eli. It backfired..

                            Or he knew he was going to get fired and breaking Eliís streak was his parting gift.[/QUOTE]

                            If thatís true I hope McAdoo never gets a job again in the NFL. Spiteful *******
                            how can that be true when it was Eli that declined the start?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              [QUOTE=Harooni;n3037290]
                              Originally posted by primetime View Post

                              how can that be true when it was Eli that declined the start?
                              He declined when he was told he would be taken out at half time for Smith and Webb.
                              Any QB worth his weight in salt would decline that ****ty offer.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Harooni View Post

                                mara is a liar. the timing of the firings was all about backlash over Eli. and the same benefit we get from preseason games when we pull starters out, we get the young guys experience and evaluate them. its no different we are eliminated.
                                If the team wants the benefit of getting the young guys experience, why would playing Eli in the first half benefit the team?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X