Tiki says Giants RB's need to get over fear of blocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiki says Giants RB's need to get over fear of blocking

“There’s two reasons why,” Barber said. “You don’t know how to do it and you are scared to do it. Unlike in college where you have smaller linebackers who are really designed to drop in the zone and cover wide receivers in the slot, in the NFL you get these linebackers who are 250 pounds and can do those things, as well. It is intimidating when you give up 50 pounds to a guy.”

Wilson showed a lot of promise with the ball in his hands last year, but the Giants hesitated to use him as their No. 1 running back in part because he hadn’t proven he could protect Eli Manning. Barber said that Wilson can become a “fantastic” all-around player if he figures out how to put it all together.

i think he brings up a good point, i only wish TC would forgive and talk to tiki again and maybe tiki can come in and show Wilson some things. maybe how to hold his balls the right way also.

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
    “There’s two reasons why,” Barber said. “You don’t know how to do it and you are scared to do it. Unlike in college where you have smaller linebackers who are really designed to drop in the zone and cover wide receivers in the slot, in the NFL you get these linebackers who are 250 pounds and can do those things, as well. It is intimidating when you give up 50 pounds to a guy.”

Wilson showed a lot of promise with the ball in his hands last year, but the Giants hesitated to use him as their No. 1 running back in part because he hadn’t proven he could protect Eli Manning. Barber said that Wilson can become a “fantastic” all-around player if he figures out how to put it all together.

i think he brings up a good point, i only wish TC would forgive and talk to tiki again and maybe tiki can come in and show Wilson some things. maybe how to hold his balls the right way also.
    I hear ya Harooni, but shouldnt the current coaching staff be the one to coach up and teach Wilson? Who knows, maybe Tiki could be the Giants future RBs coach. I know you would be one to lobby for him.

Comment

I realize Tiki was a great on the field guy for us and knows the basics of a pro running back but I doubt he has enough clout with the Giants to know how far along Wilson is.

the coaches aren't sitting around waiting for Wilson to learn they are in his *** every day teaching the aspects of his job.

Wilson is probably further along than Tiki thinks he is.
      sigpic

Comment

Wilson will develop into an awesome pass protector. That guy has so much heart and soul, and his physicality shows when he runs. The mental aspect of pass blocking won't be a problem for him, and Coach Ingram will teach him the physical part.

Wilson has Giants Ring of Fame written all over him. I just hope he stays healthy.
        My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
          Wilson will develop into an awesome pass protector. That guy has so much heart and soul, and his physicality shows when he runs. The mental aspect of pass blocking won't be a problem for him, and Coach Ingram will teach him the physical part.

Wilson has Giants Ring of Fame written all over him. I just hope he stays healthy.
          couldnt agree more...and alls right with the world again.

but kiddin aside. I think he could be fairly considered a top back by years end.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
            couldnt agree more...and alls right with the world again.

but kiddin aside. I think he could be fairly considered a top back by years end.
            Lol. Yeah, I don't see anything in Wilson's game to suggest that he'll shy away from the physical nature of pass pro. Just from what I've seen, he's tough as nails, and extremely passionate.

With his raw abilities, work ethic, and the balls-to-the-wall coaching Coughlin's gonna send his way, this kid's gonna be a star if he can avoid the injury bug.
            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

Just because someone had success as a player doesn't mean they are going to be better at coaching and training other players. Tiki isn't the solution. I know you don't like hearing that because you're in love with him. Get over him bro.

“Basically just stay with your man,” cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. “Follow him everywhere you go. Even if he goes to the bathroom, follow him.”

Comment

Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                Lol. Yeah, I don't see anything in Wilson's game to suggest that he'll shy away from the physical nature of pass pro. Just from what I've seen, he's tough as nails, and extremely passionate.

With his raw abilities, work ethic, and the balls-to-the-wall coaching Coughlin's gonna send his way, this kid's gonna be a star if he can avoid the injury bug.
                so stoked to see him this season

Comment

I got through the whole post with so much hope for a brighter outlook for you...

... and then I got to the final sentence. lol

Comment

When your RB's have to darn near play an O- linemen, its time to fix that O-line or design more plays
                    to get the ball out quicker and make the rushers pay.

Comment

Sooo he stated the obvious then...? No kidding he needs to learn to block Tiki, thanks for that nugget of genius.

Comment

Why does he have to be scared? Maybe he is just not good at it. Not saying he can't learn.

Comment

ehh....Tiki knows about blocking but he is not needed....
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

What the hell is he talking about?

Sure, Giants were 14th in total rushing yards last year.

But they were 23rd in rush attempts. In spite of much fewer attempts than 22 other teams, Giants were--

----7th in yds/carry (4.6)

----6th in 1st dwn conversion rush att

----5th in rush TDs

---9th (T) in explosive runs (13 plays of 20+ yds

What's that tell us? It tells us that with far fewer rush attempts than most of the league, Giants were in top 9 in point of attack rushing.

And, oh by the way, Giants were 1st in allowing fewest (20) sacks.

Of course there are several factors in addition to the blocking of the OL that these rushing and passing attempt stats can be attributed to (like Giants were 21st in drop backs, in addition to 23rd in rush attempts), but the fact is that a team's OL collectively and individually is evaluated to a large degree in the point of attack in the rush game as well as in preventing sacks in the passing game. In spite of the Giants fans favorite sport of Giants OL-bashing (with extra points given for Diehl-bashing), the Giants OL overall performance was in the top third (ie, top 10 or 11) of the league in 2012.

Tiki's remarks--not surprisingly--about last season's OL show yet again his arrogance, insensitivity, hubris when talking about his only NFL team.

It should come as no secret that nearly all the Giants' problems last year were due to severe inconsistencies on the part of Eli game-to-game (he had a few great games and too many terrible games in the same season) and on the part of the defense. Not so much the OL.
                            Last edited by gmen46; 07-06-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Joking aside...it's a little sad that the organization hasn't reached out to this guy to help patch up his relationship with a certain percentage of fans.
                              Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

Comment

Working...
                              X