Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What player will define Jerry Reese's tenure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Providence View Post
    This is a strange question. When has a GM's tenure ever been defined by a single player? I am sure clowns try to do it, but what respectable fan, former player, analyst, writer, etc. has ever proposed that a GM's legacy sinks or swims on the back of one player? Given all the important tasks of a GM it seems like a silly question to ask. But hey, it's the offseason, so I get it!
    I agree with this.

    But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

    I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

    BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"

    Comment


    • #32
      Jpp hands down

      Comment


      • #33
        I think GM's remembered by a single player are the exception, not the rule.

        Having said that, the 2007 class was pretty sweet.
        Every single day I log onto this message board thinking i've seen it all, every single day I am wrong...NYGiants2120

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
          I agree with this.

          But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

          I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

          BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"
          I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

          "Shomer *****ing Shabbos"
          I bELIeve in February 4, 2018.

          Comment


          • #35
            I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Providence View Post
              I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

              "Shomer *****ing Shabbos"
              i see where gmen is coming from tho. when u hear EA speak about Eli and Elway, he speaks about how he HAD to make the move for Eli. I think he actually even said what u think he doesnt do, not sure but in the clip that was poster recently about EA/Eli, I think he spoke to how he couldnt sleep at night knowing he didn't get eli if it were at all possible.

              the biggest myth imo is that EA was fine with either eli or ben. like an either or. from how i interpret ea, he would have been fine with ben bc he felt ben was a franchise qb too. but, he absolutely had eli ranked higher, to the point they werent even close.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by GiantDadx3 View Post
                I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.
                There were people saying the 07 team was an Accorsi team, which is probably mostly true. But the 07 draft class was all Reese

                Comment


                • #38
                  I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                    I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.
                    Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

                    In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.
                    #80

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I guess I'd rather be known for a GM with mutiple rings than for any one great player......
                      If you have one or more rings as a GM you have done your job very well.
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                        Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

                        In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.
                        The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

                        I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
                          The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

                          I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.
                          I would even venture to say we got the best LT and WR in the 2009 draft. Whether or not they are franchise defining players still remains to be seen.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I think it will be guys like jpp, wilson, and (hopefully) pugh.. picks that on draft day make us go



                            But in the end make us go

                            Last edited by Toadofsteel; 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM.

                            I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
                              Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

                              In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.
                              Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

                              It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

                              But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM. In the end, GMs end up getting known for some strange stuff. Tex Shramm is less known for being the first Cowboys GM, or hiring Tom Landry or producing the team with the longest winning stretch in the NFL (20 straight winning seasons with the Cowboys) then he is for coining the phrase "America's Team".
                              Last edited by Kruunch; 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM.
                              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                                Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

                                It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

                                But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM.
                                I think it's JR's greatest accomplishment because the goal is to draft players that will help you win a SB. However, no one really expects players to play significant minutes the first year that will lead to a SB victory.

                                If I told you needed to play 7 rookies even during your playoff run during crucial game moments- not just trash time- most people would say there is no way we make the SB and win it all. He got 7 immediate impact rookies. It's unreal!

                                I agree, with the exception of SS and AB, they were pretty much role players, but I think finding above average role players is what great GMs do. I think it's one their most difficult tasks.

                                Single moves that JR made that I liked were getting JPP when we had Kiwi, J Tuck, and Osi already. People list Prince, but at 19 the value was a gimme, no real genius or bravery exhibited in that move. I like the Hankins pick too, especially because it's over top rated LBs. AB in the seventh may be the best value play ever.
                                Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

                                http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X