No announcement yet.

Vacchiano: Victor Cruz contract complicates matters for NY Giants' Hakeem Nicks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacchiano: Victor Cruz contract complicates matters for NY Giants' Hakeem Nicks

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2YdZy6wBu

When Victor Cruz signed his new contract, collected his $9.5 million signing bonus and began his new life as a multi-millionaire, it marked the end of a long and sometimes stressful negotiation. It was also only the beginning for the Giants, because Hakeem Nicks is now on the clock.

Whatever angst anyone felt over the last eight months or so as the Giants and Cruz’s various people haggled over what turned into a six-year, $45.879 million deal, that’s nothing compared to what lies ahead as Nicks moves to the head of the line. He, not Cruz, is the Giants’ No. 1 receiver, but he has a long history of injuries that complicates his value. He’s going to want an enormous deal — think Mike Wallace and the five-year, $60 million deal he got from Miami — that could be too big of a risk for the salary cap-strapped Giants to take.

That’s a big reason why they couldn’t give Cruz No. 1 receiver money, and why they tried so hard for so long to keep the overall value of Cruz’s deal down.

“The Giants knew that whatever they paid Cruz they were going to have to pay more to Nicks,” one prominent NFL agent said. “His agents were watching this whole thing closely and I’m sure they were drooling over the size of Cruz’s deal.”

Nicks, 25, probably will end up with a contract — from someone — that dwarfs the 26-year-old Cruz’s deal. But his situation isn’t simple. In the last two seasons, Cruz, not Nicks, is the only receiver in the NFL to have more than 80 catches, 1,000 yards and at least nine touchdowns — a feat no Giants receiver had ever accomplished in consecutive years.
    Just as importantly, Cruz didn’t miss a game. Nicks, meanwhile, hasn’t played 16 games in any of his four NFL seasons. Last year, injuries to his foot and knee made him mostly a shell of himself even in the 13 games he did play. He finished with an unimpressive 53 catches for 692 yards and three touchdowns, limping the entire way." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Really don't think it's going to dwarf Cruz's deal at all. It will be slightly higher

Comment

now is when we really start to feel the classic giant-fan cognitive dissonance

Comment

If Nicks is hampered by injuries again this year, he will get less than Cruz.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
          Really don't think it's going to dwarf Cruz's deal at all. It will be slightly higher
          I tend to agree, especially if Cruz continues to be the most productive receiver.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Prediction: If Nicks stays healthy and goes over 1000 yards this year, he won't be a Giant next year. If he misses a couple of games and has less than 70 receptions / 800 yards, he'll get less money than Cruz and / or not be a Giant.
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
              If Nicks is hampered by injuries again this year, he will get less than Cruz.
              I still dont think so. Somehow he is still going to demand to get more than Vic.

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

If he hits the open market, he is as good as gone.. And if he has a big year, he'd be foolish to sign before he can test the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                  Prediction: If Nicks stays healthy and goes over 1000 yards this year, he won't be a Giant next year. If he misses a couple of games and has less than 70 receptions / 800 yards, he'll get less money than Cruz and / or not be a Giant.
                  So he's leaving whether he has a good year or bad year?
                  sigpic

Jerry Reese. The Adrien Robinson of GM's.

Comment

Originally posted by giantscolombia View Post
                    I still dont think so. Somehow he is still going to demand to get more than Vic.
                    You are worth what someone is willing to pay, not what you demand.

Comment

The outside WR position usually demands more money from the get go. Even if Nicks has a great season, which I hope he does, the Giants prob still dont offere him more than 10 mil...IMO
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Is there a team in the league that is paying their QB franchise QB money and is also paying top-dollar to 2 WR's??

Comment

Originally posted by Gimaniac View Post
                          You are worth what someone is willing to pay, not what you demand.
                          So simple yet lost on many.
                          A much greater truism is what I call the greater fool theory. That theory says that there is often times a greater fool willing to pay someone on the basis of emotion not fact. Whether I like it or not, they too make up what we refer to as "the market".
                          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

4 years 35 million incentive laden - imo.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post
                              So simple yet lost on many.
                              A much greater truism is what I call the greater fool theory. That theory says that there is often times a greater fool willing to pay someone on the basis of emotion not fact. Whether I like it or not, they too make up what we refer to as "the market".
                              There will always be teams willing to overpay. The Giants will never be one of them with JR at the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X