Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We needed a George Young, we got

a flunkie

The Giants needed to hire somebody from the outside to come in and run the franchise to get it back on its feet. Instead they hired an insider who will not shake things up.

John Mara and Chris Mara are in full control and Gettleman will be easy to ďretireĒ in a couple years if things donít work out.

Hopefully they can put enough on the roster to catch lightning in a bottle again but I donít see Gettleman running the franchise at a high level for a decade plus. More of the John Mara show to come

I guess GM isnít so important for this team anyway. There are a lot of bigger more owner-y fingers in the pie

if he influences the choice of a great HC then thatís a big win. This teams main problem has been coaching for years now.
    Last edited by TE88; 12-28-2017, 11:35 PM.

Let the fun begin! Should be good! Per giants and nfl netwotk!
    Last edited by DragonSoul; 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Comment

• TheAnalyst
      TheAnalyst commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Have to draft a QB in Rd 1. These opportunities don't come along that often.
      Oh I agree, but those comments he made sound as if he will go OL

• CGYgiant
      CGYgiant commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

And we should stop acting like he prioritized the OL. He hit on Trai Turner in round 3. Norwell was a UDFA. If he was so high on him, dont you think he would have spent say a 6th rounder on him to ensure he got him? Daryl Williams who has turned out to be a nice RT was a 4th rounder. Reese actually spent more premium picks on the OL, he just didnt hit them.
      Oh im with you man. I keep hearing about how Gettlemen has this outstanding resume. IMO he leaves a lot to be desired.

He is a Giant though.......

• TheAnalyst
      TheAnalyst commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by gumby74 View Post

That's why I say be careful what you ask for. JR might not be as bad as you think. He sure as hell shot our OL in half, but did do some good things regardless.
      JR was trash. Im glad he is gone whoever we get next.

We got George Costanza...
    I too wanted outside the organization, but itís clear John Mara wanted it to stay in house, well he was with the Panthers for 4 seasons and got fired. But was here for over a decade.

I think this was Mara pick all along, the other candidates were nothing more than just getting a free flight to New Jersey to see the sights. They were not serious candidates for the job.

We basically got a retread, a guy who probably still has ties somewhere in the building.

This isnt me being a debbie downer, or being negative. This is just being numb to what the Giants have become, they donít like change. They like to keep it simple and not outside the box. Look at the Panthers draft the 4 seasons he was the GM, outside a few players the drafts werenít that good. Marty Hurney was the man who built the core of that team.
    Last edited by primetime; 12-28-2017, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
      We got George Coatanza...
      I too wanted outside the organization, but itís clear John Mara wanted it to stay in house, well he was with the Panthers for 4 seasons and got fired. But was here for over a decade.

I think this was Mara pick all along, the other candidates were nothing more than just getting a free flight to New Jersey to see the sights. They were not serious candidates for the job.

We basically got a retread, a guy who probably still has ties somewhere in the building.

This isnt me being a debbie downer, or being negative. This is just being numb to what the Giants have become, they donít like change. They like to keep it simple and not outside the box. Look at the Panthers draft the 4 seasons he was the GM, outside a few players the drafts werenít that good. Marty Hurney was the man who built the core of that team.
      Well itís clear to me that the GM doesnít have much power in this franchise anyway, so short of hiring a George Young type who would be given keys to the org we were going to be getting more of the same regardless. This is the John and Chris Mara show first and foremost.

If he influences Mara to hire a great coach then Ill chalk it up as a win.

Eli Manning might be getting a new lease on life too but we will see....

Comment

Did all the Gettleman threads get merged into this? What a mess!

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
          a flunkie

The Giants needed to hire somebody from the outside to come in and run the franchise to get it back on its feet. Instead they hired an insider who will not shake things up.

John Mara and Chris Mara are in full control and Gettleman will be easy to ďretireĒ in a couple years if things donít work out.

Hopefully they can put enough on the roster to catch lightning in a bottle again but I donít see Gettleman running the franchise at a high level for a decade plus. More of the John Mara show to come

I guess GM isnít so important for this team anyway. There are a lot of bigger more owner-y fingers in the pie

if he influences the choice of a great HC then thatís a big win. This teams main problem has been coaching for years now.
          The guy has not made one decision and he is already a problem? I don't get this from you T. You are usually more level headed then this and give the benefit of doubt. I suggest we all give him our support until he proves why we shouldn't .
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

The guy has not made one decision and he is already a problem? I don't get this from you T. You are usually more level headed then this and give the benefit of doubt. I suggest we all give him our support until he proves why we shouldn't .
            I donít rwally have much against Gettleman. This just screams of The Maras keeping things just the way they want. I think he adds a different wrinkle to things but not an overhaul. Many people who should be fired are going to keep their jobs.

like I said if he influences a good coaching hire itís a win all the way.

The talent stuff I am an outsider on this board as I believe on balance that reese was a good GM he just made two fatal errors in succession by busting on his only top 10 picks. Deserved to be fired.

Jerry Reese won super bowls so Iím sure Gettleman can find a way to make a positive difference. But the nuts and bolts of this organization have not changed and will not

Comment

When Gettlemans went to Carolina and had success, people were up in arms that we kept the wrong guy to be GM. Now all of a sudden, he's a bad GM and fortunately for this site, it's hard to bump old threads filled with Gettleman envy.

Guys are complaining and moaning and just offer up names that they read on the latest sports blog.

You got a proven football lifer who is not scared to make the tough decisions and he made some great low key picks in Carolina. If you don't like the Gettlemen pick, then who do you want. And if you say Luis Riddick, then you expose yourselves as bandwagon fanboys who just go after who other posters say to go after.

Think for yourselves and do your own freaking research.

Browns hired Dorsey. Do you hear about any other sweeping changes to their FO or scouting staff? GM's need to be plugged in with college coaches. We have an experienced GM, who can step in and get the ball rolling from day 1. I'm also quite sure that he KNEW he would be the GM and got a head start on scouting out our draft class. The guy has had nothing else to worry about for the past year

His Carolina Panthers are still doing well with a team that he fielded. So if the guy that put together one of the top teams in football isn't the man for the job, then I guess you want to hire the Ben McAdoo of GM's, just because.

SMH
              Last edited by Gee718; 12-29-2017, 11:23 AM.
              Long Live the King

Comment

I donít rwally have much against Gettleman. This just screams of The Maras keeping things just the way they want. I think he adds a different wrinkle to things but not an overhaul. Many people who should be fired are going to keep their jobs.

like I said if he influences a good coaching hire itís a win all the way.

The talent stuff I am an outsider on this board as I believe on balance that reese was a good GM he just made two fatal errors in succession by busting on his only top 10 picks. Deserved to be fired.

Jerry Reese won super bowls so Iím sure Gettleman can find a way to make a positive difference. But the nuts and bolts of this organization have not changed and will not
                I agree but any GM would be in this situation . So why the dig at DG on the Thread title. Do believe that Young given the current FO Organizational structure would be able to perform at the high level he was accustom to? IMO: Someday Reese will be exonerated for the failures of the current team.
                "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                  When Gettlemans went to Carolina and had success, people were up in arms that we kept the wrong guy to be GM. Now all of a sudden, he's a bad GM and fortunately for this site, it's hard to bump old threads filled with Gettleman envy.

Guys are *****ing and moaning and just offer up names that they read on the latest sports blog.

You got a proven football lifer who is not scared to make the tough decisions and he made some great low key picks in Carolina. If you don't like the Gettlemen pick, then who do you want. And if you say Luis Riddick, then you expose yourselves and bandwagon fanboys who just go after who other posters say to go after.

Think for yourselves and do your own freaking research.
                  +1 To your first paragraph... how soon some forget what they said.
                  sigpic #80

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I agree but any GM would be in this situation . So why the dig at DG on the Thread title. Do believe that Young given the current FO Organizational structure would be able to perform at the high level he was accustom to? IMO: Someday Reese will be exonerated for the failures of the current team.
                    When I say we needed a George Young I mean we needed somebody to handover the keys to the org just as young was and let them go to work. It was a pipe dream but it doesnít mean I donít think thatís what should have happened

Comment

Curious. Why do people still insist on needing someone from the outside? What is it that this Giants organisation is missing?

Wholesale changes sounds great. But what is going to improve?
                      http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                      http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

I think the Gettleman hire was a comfort move for the owners but I must say I like it, he is an experienced GM who will make the ballsy move either in the draft or in FA...

Comment

When I say we needed a George Young I mean we needed somebody to handover the keys to the org just as young was and let them go to work. It was a pipe dream but it doesnít mean I donít think thatís what should have happened
                          In your opinion who as a GM would have told the Maras how they should run their franchise?

Comment

Originally posted by primetime View Post
                            We got George Costanza...

I'd have to say that Gettleman having been here for a decade, is the last reason you'd look to as a positive sign!
                            The scouting dept Is crap, and those guys practically have tenure.
                            No.........longevity as a Giants employee isn't exactly a good thing!!!!
                            "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Working...
                            X