"Don't tell me about the pain. Show me the baby"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

I just finished watching the video of his presser. If you only heard the audio, watch the video.

I get his experience, but I have a hard time understanding how peeps that wanted TC gone are encouraged. TC is the same old guy, just 20 times as good with the press as Gettleman. That was not a good press conference, IMO.

Again, I'll reserve judgement, but I was not impressed at all.
    It sounds to me like you are judging Daves presentation and if so I agree.

I didnt l think it was a great press conference either.

But I did like the gist of his comments. I like the fact we have a GM who is not afraid to admit to the fans that we need to fix the Oline.

I also like the idea of the Giants going after big man who are football players and a return of focus to what wins championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I still like it. It's a great reference. You're a negative Nancy these days...aren't you?
      So many Parcells quotes live on today--they are in the craw of many coaches. "If you are gonna ask me to make the dinner, at least let me pick out the groceries", "that's why you lift all those weights", "lets not put him in Canton just yet" and one I just heard yesterday on sports talk radio( 550am) when they were discussing the Gettleman hire-----"talent makes prostitutes of us all". A former Bills assistant coach said Parcells said this to him on the field before kickoff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

1000% agree

They refuse to grow a set and go out on a limb.
        You sound like you prefer an owner more along the lines of the Jets or Browns who seem to enjoy the carousel of coaches and GMs that take a shot at running their teams.

I happen to like the stability of our organization which is not to say that Im ok with the status quo.

I just dont see Dave as more of the same. If he was, what sense would that make?

Comment

• Originally posted by LakeO Giant fan View Post

So many Parcells quotes live on today--they are in the craw of many coaches. "If you are gonna ask me to make the dinner, at least let me pick out the groceries", "that's why you lift all those weights", "lets not put him in Canton just yet" and one I just heard yesterday on sports talk radio( 550am) when they were discussing the Gettleman hire-----"talent makes prostitutes of us all". A former Bills assistant coach said Parcells said this to him on the field before kickoff.
          ERWs = Players who on game day eat breakfast, ride the bus, and warm up. Then you never see them for the rest of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moecoastie77 View Post

EA outlined their selection process which makes total sense to me. Yes, they interviewed a small number of candidates, but they researched many more. On paper, Gettleman is by far the best qualified candidate. He wasn't even supposed to be available and by next Monday or Tuesday, he would have been snagged by another franchise in shambles at which time he'll continue to do what he's done for the last 30 years...help build a super bowl roster.

Why was EA brought in as a consultant? For one; he doesn't need ESPN, nfln, or "google" to tip him off on possible candidates. And he sure as hell doesn't need "google" or some obscure reporters article to research said candidates. Honest question....what exactly do you think Mara was going to learn about a candidate in an interview that EA hasn't already told him?

I'm trying to grasp your obsession with Mara's use of the term "whole sale" As if a new GM and new HC is small potatoes. The fact that you include an entirely new philosophy, all new FO personnel, and replacing all the cooks and cleaners is a bit extreme. Quite honestly, that is your bad for expecting as much just for the sake of something different.

As far as the presser. I didn't hear or learn anything new about Gentleman. His presser today is consistent with every interview of him in the last 4 years. I do enjoy listening to storytellers.
            Thats a nice little story

now want to hear what actually happened

John called in Ernie and Ernie said ... Dave Gettleman is who you want

then they picked two obvious inside guys and scheduled them for interviews out of respect for the positions they hold and the time they put in with the organization

then scheduled one long shot outside guy recommended to Ernie from a guy named George Bodenheimer in Louis Riddick

all of which were a mere formality because they knew from jump street who they were hiring

sure doesnt sound like due diligence to me .... sounds like Ernie said so.... so lets do it

and this is not my opinion .... this is information from inside the organization

information mind you that was relayed to me in a very positive manor by someone who was very excited ... the negative spin is all mine because as a business man myself I find it ridiculous

so make up all the scenarios youd like ... its fun .... but the truth is that Ernie came in with one person in mind

and thats who they now have .... so the quote the great one Jackie Gleason .......and away we go

Last edited by YATittle1962; 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• There were reports circulating that the reason the Browns pulled such a "Brownsie" move--fire their GM and hire another in the same day--was because NYG was hot on Dorsey.
              I will say this, many of us did want them to go outside the comfort zone and it did not happen. Mara played it safe--Gettleman has had success wherever he has been. I did not know myself how much until he was rehired and I checked out his resume. I am going to see what he does with the HC and QB situations before getting excited, but he does value power football. The fact that he doesn't always roll up the Brinks truck for every FA will probably wrinkle some feathers but be good in the long run.

Comment

Maybe I missed it. Let's here all the positive reasons you like the Gettleman hire. You're good at going after folks who are unhappy about it. We've given specific reasons why we don't like it. So let's hear YOUR specific reasons why he's a good choice.
                So make your case. Or do you have one....other than going after people who have made their case to the contrary.
                Pretty simple: (1) He was the only candidate who has ever been a GM and he was a good one; (2) He has a documented record of good personnel moves (a lot the with this very team); (3) No one seems to dispute that he is a good talent evaluator; (4) I agree with his philosophy in building a team with a focus on running the ball, stopping the run and playing good defense; and (5) I am unaware of any candidate who would be better.

And your reasons? Oh yeah, he sucks just because he used to work here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

ERWs = Players who on game day eat breakfast, ride the bus, and warm up. Then you never see them for the rest of the game.
                  "ERWs"
                  LOVE IT! I heard one from Pro Bowler Lorenzo Alexander yesterday when talking about the difference between Rex Ryan and Sean McDermott--"with Rex we had too many players living "in the gray". With McDermott those players go. "in the gray" meant players good enough talent wise to stick on the roster but not necessarily team players and definitely not guys who work at their craft or profession. "In the gray".
                  Last edited by LakeO Giant fan; 12-30-2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

You sound like you prefer an owner more along the lines of the Jets or Browns who seem to enjoy the carousel of coaches and GMs that take a shot at running their teams.

I happen to like the stability of our organization which is not to say that Im ok with the status quo.

I just dont see Dave as more of the same. If he was, what sense would that make?
                    Stability is great. What makes you think I'd rather see the team run like the Browns or Jets? Because I think they need to take some chances now and then instead of always playing it safe? I'm looking for a bit of consistency from this team for a change, instead of very occasional peaks(SB's) and far too many crushing valleys(this season/every season since 2011). When they keep the same status quo, nothing is going to change. It may have been earlier in this thread, or possibly another thread, in which I said that I have the feeling that Spags will be the next HC, and it wouldn't shock me in the least. It would, however, prove my point.

I do see Gettleman as more of the same status quo, which is exactly why I dont like the hire.
                    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

What a shock. they hired a guy that EA hired before. Did they expect a different outcome when they brought Ernie in to "consult"?
                      Im not convinced that picking an experienced executive that you have familiarity with is a bad thing.

As I said to others, if this was a move to continue more of the same why do it?

Comment

• OK... you asked for it...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Pretty simple: (1) He was the only candidate who has ever been a GM and he was a good one; (2) He has a documented record of good personnel moves (a lot the with this very team); (3) No one seems to dispute that he is a good talent evaluator; (4) I agree with his philosophy in building a team with a focus on running the ball, stopping the run and playing good defense; and (5) I am unaware of any candidate who would be better.

And your reasons? Oh yeah, he sucks just because he used to work here.
                          It took you a couple days but instead of going after folks who don't like the pick, you actually made a positive argument.
                          Was that so hard?....and You're welcome.

The "he used to work here" nonsense is just that of course.
                          We need a guy with no loyalties to ANY player or coach. He has them. His former employer is the guy who "cunsulted" his way to the job. When John Mara said we need "wholesale changes", does THIS choice seem to you to be consistent with that....especially afer he admitted there were other candidates he wanted to talk to?

It makes no sense. he actually admitted he went on LESS information than he wanted....ON PURPOSE.

Misguided loyalty has been a hinderance to this teams developement for years. TC's loyalty to bad coaches. JR's loyalty to bad draft picks. And ownership's loyalty to "continuity".
                          I see a continuation of this with this decision.
                          It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

Im not convinced that picking an experienced executive that you have familiarity with is a bad thing.

As I said to others, if this was a move to continue more of the same why do it?
                            On a 2-13 team....it is.
                            It's not Eli's fault....It's the chemtrails!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

Stability is great. What makes you think I'd rather see the team run like the Browns or Jets? Because I think they need to take some chances now and then instead of always playing it safe? I'm looking for a bit of consistency from this team for a change, instead of very occasional peaks(SB's) and far too many crushing valleys(this season/every season since 2011). When they keep the same status quo, nothing is going to change. It may have been earlier in this thread, or possibly another thread, in which I said that I have the feeling that Spags will be the next HC, and it wouldn't shock me in the least. It would, however, prove my point.

I do see Gettleman as more of the same status quo, which is exactly why I dont like the hire.
                              I would be shocked if Spags gets the job.

That would be very disappointing.

Comment

Misguided loyalty has been a hinderance to this teams developement for years. TC's loyalty to bad coaches. JR's loyalty to bad draft picks. And ownership's loyalty to "continuity".
                                I see a continuation of this with this decision.
                                You said it far better than I did. Agree with every word
                                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X